Indiana Jones & The Curse of the Chinese Whisperer

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Of course, just because of that Old Indy avatar. But, knowing my luck I won't be the first. It's more likely to be someone who comes here very very often and has so since the birth of this forum. In other words, I believe the one who will hit 10 000 will undoubtedly be a mod.....

However this is not the point of this thread.... In case, anyone hasn't noticed......

BrodyIsDead

That WAS slightly off point, Indy123, but good to have you contribute!

:whip: OK, I'm going to paste all of the story so far into a couple of consequetive posts below for newcomers and old-timers alike to enjoy - just a reminder though that ANYONE is free to join in and add a new paragraph to this CONTINUING story - it doesn't matter how off skew the tale twists and turns, it'll be all the more fun for the next person to try to get it back on track - remember, it's set in 1964 in China - why is Indy there? That hasn't been determined yet. But he's run into trouble with a mysterious cult and also run into some old friends - oh, and by the end of the story, we want to have him loose his right eye so it'll bring it up to date with the old Indy seen in the 1990s episodes of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles... :cool:

So there you have it, loyal Raven patrons, pull up a chair, pour a shot of whisky and join us at a table for the story so far... :)

BrodyIsDead

Indiana Jones & The Curse of the Chinese Whisperer
(A Raven Forum Collaboration Story)

The sculpted mud tower stood tall on the tabletop as its maker, a wizened Chinese trinket seller stunned the gathered crowd with his pottery skills. His brown, wet hands smoothed out the clay for another minute until he finally stop peddling his table wheel and picked up a small brass cup, shaking it for the crowd to show their appreciation.

Some people threw in their pocket change but others quickly walked away, rejoining the path along the Great Wall which sprawled out to the left and right for miles. As the old potter was left shaking his head at his measly takings, a shadow of a much larger figure towered above him and his scultpure.

The shadow's owner began to speak in broken Mandarin but it was obvious from his lack of a local accent that he was American.

"I speak English, stranger" whispered the old Chinaman. "You can stop trying to impress me with your phrasebook language."

Indiana Jones took off his battered fedora and stepped closer to the potter's table. He leant close to the old man and whispered what he'd come all this way to say so that no-one else could hear him...

"I...um.....er..." He took a step back and looked around for a moment. Nobody was really paying any attention but Indy felt that checking anyway was a habit he'd picked up on his adventures.

"Have you heard of the Chinese Lung- Kou? That WAS what you were about to ask me, wasn't it?" The potter grinned, revealing three white teeth from less than a full set that also included several that were black and green. He cackled slightly.

"But... how...?" Indiana Jones gasped.

"I know a many great things, Dr Jones. Including why you're so interested in the late Emperor's Dragon Dog statues. And I can assure you, they may be considered a myth nowadays but when I was a boy servant at the palace, I saw them with my own eyes."

Before Indy had a chance to ask any more questions, there was the sound of police whistles in every direction. Gunshots were fired in the air and the crowded pathways of the Great Wall were suddenly cleared as tourists and locals alike ran for cover.

The old man rose quickly from his cushion on the ground and turned his back on the dust-ridden archaeologist.

"Hey, old-timer, do you know...?" Was all Indy could say before the withered potter stepped up onto the turretted stone of the Great Wall and jumped off.

A woman to Indy's left screamed and at least a dozen Chinese policemen crowded around Indy, brandishing handcuffs and shouting in a dialect he didn't understand...

Indy ran as the police gave chase. Gunshots richoeted off the exteriors of buildings. Indy made a turn into a darkalley beside a market stall selling peking ducks. The police stop in their tracks. Indy hiding behind a trash can, peered over, looking for a new direction to hide. The police in their strange dialect, angrily ask civilians on the street. The police separate in search of the American. Indy started to back up until...

he backed into a figure behind him. Turning around in a flash, with revolver at hand, he found himself face to face with a woman he hadn't seen for a long time. Despite the time that had passed since seeing each other and ageing that had taken place for both... They both knew who the other was. This was probably the last place either would expect to see each other for both were still and silent, not knowing what to say.

The police broke up into small search parties and far from the alleyway where Indy and Marion were slouched hidden behind the trash cans. As soon as the streets returned to the normal hustle and bustle, Indy was about to say something to Marion but she beat him to it.

"What in hell are you doing here Jones?" she said sounding rather distressed.

"Well, so much for a nice hello and how are you and haven't seen you in a while. Then again, you were never much for friendly hellos."

"There'll be time for that later, doll." Indy grinned. The scar on his chin tightened.

"We're not in our 20s any more, 'Doctor' Jones - I haven't been called that in a long time."

Indy looked Marion over. Just how long had it been since he'd seen his old flame? There was the time they bumped into one another at Marcus's funeral but that was almost 15 years ago and each had sworn never to speak of the events that followed that meeting. Indy realised he was staring at Marion like a love-struck teenager.

"Listen, Jones. It's good to see you, too." Marion put her hand up to Indy's face and stroked his grey beard. "But those policemen aren't getting any farther away and we can explain things later. For now follow me."

Marion tugged at Indy's ear and led him through a small door, half the size of the two of them, which she knocked on in a short sequence of taps. Inside was complete darkness.

"Marion, what are we - ?"

But Marion interrupted speaking quickly in perfect Mandarin. Four torches were suddenly lit from each corner of the room and Indy gasped at who he saw standing in front of him...

In front of Indy, was a man of whom he thought was dead. A man he would have thought with all this time passing would be dead from old age anyway. As if reading his thoughts, the man spoke.

"Yes, it is me, Indiana. Time has changed you and you've grown to be a great success. Much better than I expected. This time we will truly put you to the test."

A bewildered Indy takes a moment to respond.

"But, Abner. This is impossible. Marion said that you were dead. And it's 1964, you should be dead."

Indy turned to Marion.

"Your sense of humour really has spiralled downwards, Marion. If this some kind of sick joke then call it off."

Marion looked at Indy with an intensely serious air and answered.

"This isn't a joke. Indy, there's something about us Ravenwoods that you don't know. I lied to you about Dad being dead. But, there's something else to it."

Indy still puzzled asks, "What?"

Father and daughter stood silent as the torch flames flickered in the dark cavern.

"Abner..." Indy took off his fedora and sighed, putting out a hand to shake with his old mentor. "Marion, laughed that we're not in our 20s any more, so I'm guessing the Ravenwood family secret isn't that you're all immortals."

The older archaeologist smiled but said nothing. Marion came and stood alongside her father and put her hand on top of Indy's and Abner's who were still locked in mutual relief at seeing one another after so much time.

"Immortal isn't quite the word to describe it, Jones." said Marion. "It's more..."

But she never got to finish the sentence - suddenly the small door through which they'd entered cracked in multiple places as if somone on the other side had a medieval battering ram running at it.

"The police!" shouted Indy.

"No." said Abner. "The police would be a dream come true. I'm afraid it's something far beyond your wildest nightmares..."

People garbed in black robes stormed into the room heavily outnumbering Indy and the two Ravenwoods. The black robes encircled the three.

What's this supposed to be? Indy thought. The circle of death, maybe? All sorts of weapons from AK-47s to machetes to crossbows. A sea of black robes parted in front of the three. A man in black garb came towards them. He took off his hood, revealing a man around Abner's age. On his chest was a crest of a dragon combined with the Eye of Horus.

The man spoke. "Nice to see you again Abner. Did you really think that you could leave our society and get away unscathed? And especially thinking, that faking your own death by an avalanche would keep us away from you and your daughter."

Abner just glared. Marion and Indy followed suit. The old man turned to Indy.

"Ah, yes. I know you. Indiana Jones, the renowned and unorthodox archaeologist. Only Abner would have trained someone like you."

Indy looked at the old man in front of him. After a moment, Indy asked, "Who are you?" The old man just grinned like the face of the Grim Reaper.

"Dr. Jones, I am a leader of a little known society which runs throughout the world. The first of this society were called the Eye of Horus and continued to spread into different sects around the world, keeping the treasures of the past in hands that can handle them. Only those whose ancestors were part of the original group are kept in this society. They must choose and train a successor by blood or by the prophecy. Your friend Abner here knows all about that, don't you Abner?"

Abner finally spoke."This is no need to concern Jones here. Let him go. He won't talk about this. This is between you and me, David."

"Nonsense, Abner. This concerns both your daughter and him. Afterall, he did fulfill the prophecy and on top of that, you have offspring. I have waited patiently as have my colleagues and you must name your successor," David replied.

Abner's face creased with worry looked at both his daughter and his protege. Obviously, there seemed to be no way out.

"Or what if I don't, David? You just going to order your men to kill us? You know that it's against our laws. It will bring an end to your sect, The Eye of Lung- Kou and the inevitable fall of the Eye of Horus." Despite his worry, Abner wasn't giving in that easily.

"Ah, yes Abner. But who said I was going to kill you?" His evil dark eyes glared at Indy. Then, Indy started to feel strange. The room was revolving around him, everything was a dark blur. He found himself face to face with?

BrodyIsDead

...another ghost from his past in the form of an old English gentleman he saw buried little over a decade ago.

"M-Marcus?" Indy was bewildered. The room span and span around the two old friends.

But Marcus Brody didn't reply. He put his hand into his blazer and pulled out a knife.

The ghostly voice of the leader of the sect rang around the walls of the chamber. "Who said I was going to kill YOU, Abner...? Jones shall be sacrificed unless you name your successor, and name him now!"

Marcus Brody stepped closer to Indiana Jones and the torch flames glinted their reflections across the length of his knife. He lunged at the face of the dazed archaologist.

"Indy!!!" screamed Marion.

But it was too late...

Indy was barely breathing, choking on air. Marion ran to him, holding him, trying to get him back to the real world. She felt his soul was starting to leave him into whatever happens after death. There was only one thing to do. She looked up at her father.

"Name me your successor, Dad. I don't want to see Indy die. I WON'T ALLOW IT!!" she cried to him.

"But, Marion... Do you any idea what you'll put yourself through if you do. Indy isn't like us. I have seen the future, Marion. He is meant to die before you." Abner replied.

"I don't give a damn, Dad! I'm not a little girl anymore! I know the consequences. I have seen it all my life, in case you haven't noticed."

Abner sighed. David was still in his trance, Indy was barely alive and conscious.

"Fine, David. I, Abner Ravenwood name my successor to be of my bloodline. I claim my daughter, Marion to take my place as an Eye of Horus, til she one day finds an heir of blood or prophecy when her time has ended." David was out of his trance. A rush of wind filled the room with Abner's words echoing. A glow came off Abner and waqs passed to Marion. The wind died down and Abner slumped to the ground, convulsing in pain. Marion checked on Indy. He was dead. But, now she didn't seemed too worried. She was now an Eye of Horus and had everything that came with it. Including the power to bend the rules of time and space.

Well, not really a power. thought Marion. More like knowledge. But hey to some that is power. Marion leaned over to a sack on Abner's belt. She pulled out golden bits of plant. More like a herb. She crushed it in her hands and put it in her mouth. She positioned her face above Indy's and exhaled. A golden breath transferred from her mouth to Indy's. His face glowed for a moment. Indy was beginning to breathe again. He opened his eyes to see Marion looking down at him.

"Nice to see you're among the living again, Indiana Jones," reacted Marion. "I can't believe that stuff actually works."

"What stuff, Marion?" asked Indy groggily. He looked around as his eyes cleared up even more to see the Eye of Lung-kou and Horus were still here.

"I see we still have company, Marion."

"Don't worry about them. Dad named me his successor. They won't be able to do anything to you as long as I live. However, Dad.... Well, you probably don't want to know".....

Indy looked back at Abner. Silent tears filled his eyes but didn't roll down his face. David and his henchmen surrounded Indy's old mentor and Marion screamed - "Dad!!!"

Indy tried to get up but his head was still buzzing, he slumped back down to the ground to see the dark sect members going out of a door which he didn't recall being at the back of the room before. Abner was enveloped in their cloaks and David said,
"You'll find peace at last, Abner..." as he slammed the heavy door behind them.

Marion sobbed. Indy sat up, gaining more balance with every second. He took out his revolver and opened the barrel, spinning the bullets in their housing to check he didn't need to reload.

"Right, let's get after them." He snapped the revolver shut once more. Marion sniffed, looking at Indy with little hope left in her eyes. "Marion... if they didn't kill Abner here, there's still a chance we can save him. I've seen enough of these hokey religions to know there's probably some convoluted ceremony in some dark, dank temple where they have to take him to get rid of him properly."

Indy wiped away the single tear that now rolled down Marion's face. "This is the part we used to love best, remember? The chase is on"...

Marion got to her feet. Indy was right. They had to help him. Not matter the likelihood of his death. Indy could see Marion had toughened her resolve and they begun to move quicky after the Eye of Lung-Kou. As they ran through the door, gun shots were being fired at them. Indy and Marion kept close to the walls of the dark corridor and continued to pursue the Eye of Lung-Kou. Indy and Marion fired back blindly in the darkness hoping it will hit the villains. Then a loud booming noise wailed through the corridor and the corridor's walls began to cave in......

"Don't worry!" shouted Indy as he took a deep breath to elongate his body in the narrowing corridor. "I've been in tighter spots than this before!"

Marion clung onto Indy's arm. "Yeah, but you were at least 50lbs lighter then!"

"That's what I always liked about you!" shouted Indy, using his whip to lasoo onto beams of wood, high above them in the shadows. "You always have a joke for every occasion, no matter how serious!"

Marion put her arms around her old friend and he began to climb up and up, up above the walls which were rumbling in on one another. They were on a wooden ledge and could hear screams from below as David's henchmen were crushed in the carnage of stone and dust.

"Indy, there's a light over there, see?" whispered Marion.

They crawled towards the light and pushed open a wooden shutter to reveal daylight which was almost blinding for a moment.

Car horns and chattering from the markets were all around them. "It just leads back onto the street." Marion sounded disheartened. "We'll never find my father now..."

"Don't worry," Indy put his hand on her shoulder. "I've got an old friend who lives in this very district and I've been meaning to look him up for a long while. He'll be around 40 now and he's never "Short" on the local gossip that goes on in the underworld "Round" here...

Marion and Indy climbed out into the street. After looking for any sign of the police and the Eye of Lung-Kou, they walked on down the street.

"So who's this friend of yours?" Marion asked.

"An orphan I adopted for a "short" time. His name is Short Round. He was a kid on the street when I adopted him. I caught him trying to pick my pocket. His family were killed when the Japanese bombed Shanghai." Indy replied.

"Didn't know you were the fatherly type, Indy." Marion joked.

"I suppose the next thing you're going to ask is why I didn't get married and settle down or at least get a mother for him."Indy responded.

"Right you are."

"Oh yeah, well what about you?" Indy asked defensely.

"I was always too busy. Besides there wasn't really anyone for me. I like things to be simple. I have my nightclub that I enjoy running and I helped Dad where ever I could."

Indy stopped in front of a strangely red bricked building, with a large faded sign, "Shorty's School of Marital Arts."

"This is the place."

Inside the school was a large training room, each wall of the room held long open windows where people outside could peer in to see the experts at work.

In the centre of the training floor stood a huge man dressed in a red gi with his back to Marion and Indy, who waited in silence by the main entrance. Seven other men dressed in white gi's circles him while drums beat rhythmically in all corners of the room.

Marion tugged at Indy's arm. "Which one is this Shortie guy?" she whispered.

Suddenly there was a loud shriek and the seven men lunged and kicked at the solitary man dressed in red. He ducked and parried, rolled and jumped, dodging every single one of their attacks. Two of the white-dressed men were thrown to the floor in what seemed to be a single blow. Then a third, and a fourth. And then the remaining three appeared to pause in their attack. The man in red took every advantage of this hesitation and span round in the air, knocking all three to training mat.

The drums fell silent and the crowds peering in from the street outside were frozen, open-mouthed.

Marion's grip fell from Indy's arm. "That's Shortie, isn't it?" she said in a louder voice.

The man in red span around as if defending another attack. Sweat dripped from his face and he marched angrily over to the main entrance. "Shortie is a name I haven't heard in a long time, Miss."

"You liked it once, if I recall." said Indy in a dry voice.

"I did, but it grew tiresome when the rich American kids at that boarding school you sent me to used it to ridicule me."

BrodyIsDead

Marion was unsure if Shortie was happy to see Indy. The two men stared at one another for a while. Marion watched the seven injured men slowly and painfully picking themselves up from the training mat and wondered if she should get out the pistol she kept hidden in her left stocking.

But then Shortie and Indy began to laugh uncontrollably, clasping each other by their forearms. "Fortune!" said Shortie.

"And glory!" replied Indy.

"What in Manhattan are you two talking about?" asked Marion. She went over to a table on the other side of the room. "Let's sit down and talk, OK? I need a drink!"

The three sat down at a table in a adjacent small kitchen. Shorty put down three glases and a bottle of whiskey.

"I didn't quite catch your name, madam." Shorty begun.

"My name is Marion Ravenwood," she answered. Indy wondered if he should say anything about his association with her but he figured that Shorty could work that out for himself. Then again, even Indy himself couldn't quite work out where he stood in Marion's eyes. In fact, he really didn't where he stood anywhere anymore. He had seemed so sure, all those years ago when Shorty was his adopted son, running around the globe on their adventures.

"And how do you two know each other?"

This time Indy answered. "Long story. Basically, I've known Marion since my days at the University of Chicago. I studied under her father, Abner. Besides, to be honest with you, Shorty, we are not here for a friendly visit."

"It never is with you, Indy."

"I know how you feel, Shorty." Marion answered.

"Anyway, Shorty we're in a bit of trouble. I don't suppose you know about the Eye of Lung Kou?" asked Indy.

"Yeah. A bunch of madmen archaeologists, who believe that they are descendents of the Spiritual Guardians. Not just in Ancient China but everywhere else in the ancient world." Shorty answered.

"You know too much. Only someone who's encountered them or is somehow related would know that much." Marion replied darkly.

"I have encountered them recently. That's true. Of course, none could match my skill. They're based at an ancient Confuscian temple in the north. At the mountain range. No one's brave or stupid enough to face them."Shorty explained.

Marion just glared and replied, "Until now."

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It is sounding goooooood.... if I do say so myself..... I try and think of something to add as soon as I can....

BrodyIsDead

After a good meal, some well-needed rest and a lot of catching up,
Indy, Shortie and Marion all set off under the cover of darkness towards the temple.

The streets were still alive with people even at night and the shadows of the Great Wall stretched across every footpaths in the moonlight. The three were dressed in disguise as Zen priest robes, their faces hidden by hoods.

"Are we there yet" whined Marion after about a mile's hike outside of the city limits.

"Shh!" scolded Shorty. These wagonways are littered with bandits and renegades who wouldn't think twice about attacking even three lowly priests.

"Just let 'em try" said Indy. He patted his pistol at his hip and they continued on.

The sound of the jungle at night soon surrounded them on all sides - chattering, squawking and hooting filled their senses but they pushed ever on, mile after mile, footstep after dusty footstep.

Until Shorty stopped dead in his tracks for no obvious reason.

"What is it?" asked Indy, with worry in his voice.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Sorry, it's been a while....

"It the spiritual guardians of this place. They are the spectres of warriors long past and defeated, and seek their revenge on those who approach the temple." answered Shorty, as a howling wind passes through the thick forest as if to confirm this.
"But that's just superstition. It's probably the Eye of Lung Kou." Indy whispered. As if in answer to this remark strange black apparitions, literal ghosts fly around and circle of the three. The ghosts hit the dirt and disappear for a moment. A eerie silence is across the jungle for one moment. The three are tense, ready for trouble coming. An earthquake roars across the thicket of the Chinese jungle covered mountain, and the ground groans and cracks around them. From the ground, rises 5 supernatural creatures n ancient Chinese warrior costumes.
"Superstition, huh, Indy?" Marion said sarcastically.

BrodyIsDead

Good to hear from you again, Violet! Great Marion pics btw!

Indy drew his revolver and shot five bullets point blank, one at each of the goulish warriors, every one striking their target. The warriors flew back as if a little winded, but nothing more.

"Run!" commanded Indy. "I've seen enough denizens of the night to know we can't stop these with lead or fists."

The three friends scattered off the dirt track of the wagonway into the thick and sludge-trodden undergrowth of the jungle. A high-pitched shrieking echoed out all around them.

Marion fell to her knees, clasping her ears. "I... can't go any further..."

"Indy, Marion! Come on!" shouted Shorty somewhere off ahead.

"Marion, please, we have to go on." Indy looked off down into the path they'd come from. The leave and vines were shaking as the warriors pushed their way through.

"I... I'm coming..." Marion began to pick herself up.

"Hurry, Indy!" called Shorty again.

Indiana Jones began to run with Marion close behind him. He elbowed and shoulder barged his way through thick branches and greenery for what seemed like minutes, spitting and coughing from the coarse leaves that hit his face as he went. He eventually came to a clearing which was devoid of any sound or movement. The shrieking had stopped and as he swung round, he saw that Marion hadn't followed him in.

"Marion!" he shouted. "Shorty?!"

There were no replies. Only the eerie silence - not even the creatures of the jungle chattered in this place. He was alone. The three adventurers had been separated...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Then suddenly ,a scream filled the night. Marion! was Indy's first thought. He ran into the direction of the scream. Fighting his way against the green thick vines that seemed to hold him back and the ghostly howls returned filling the night and more screams. He knew it was Marion. He ran faster, fearing the worst. He found himself in another clearing. Mairon was in the middle of it, screaming, on her knees, in pain. The phantom demons circled her and were about to attack, when something golden shone and shone brightly from her neck. It was the headpiece to the Staff of Ra! Marion still had it! It glowed and the glow cover Marion and the ghastly demons shieked and disappeared into the glow's radiance. They were destroyed. The medallion returned to normal, Marion was weak. Indy ran to her and held her.

BrodyIsDead

Harumph!

temple of john said:
This really needs to bite the dust.

Yeah, too right Violet - I just love how people on this forum are so welcoming of new ideas and their constructive criticism just makes me want to tell all my friends to join TheRaider - not! Patrons like that give this place a bad name... :mad:

Anyways, best to rise above the baiting and continue on with the story...

BrodyIsDead

Cool it, man, cool it...

"I can't believe you still have this, Marion." Indy cupped the headpiece in his hand.

"Well, it's lucky I kept it when all of you back in '36 thought it was worthless once you found Tanis."

"Well, trust an archaologist to throw away priceless artefacts..." Indy laughed.

"I wanted it because it was one of my only connections with Abner. Then he came to me in secret years later to tell me of the Eye of Horus sect, but I still held onto it, not knowing why."

"Marion, we're gonna find him before David has a chance to dispose of him."

"I hope so, Indy." replied Marion. "You see, David's an archaeologist too, from way back, so he'll be wanting to get rid of his old rubbish as quickly as he can too."

"That won't happen, you've got to believe it, OK?" Indy offered Marion his arm to help her up.

Suddenly a muffled rustling sound came from far off, as if a tree had collapsed. "Indy? Argh...!" It was Shortie, somewhere off in the dense undergrowth.

"Come on!" Shouted Indy.

But as they both stood up, that same collapsing noise creaked out beneath their feet and before they could jump clear the ground beneath Indy and Marion's feet fell out and they were falling into darkness...

www.findthemissingreel.com

http://cgallan.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the mention on the blogspot, BID!

The three crashed through a clay ceiling and landed on something moist and rather slimey. Their bodies felt heavy and something.... the floor... it was moving. Swallowing them up in the darkness. None of the three could speak, nor breathe. They felt heavy. Indy knew this feeling. He felt it once on a crazy adventure in Utah, back in 1912. On a day, that changed his life and created the phobia he was renowned for.
He tried to scream, "Snakes", but it was too hard. He was weaker, older than he once was. This was a moment where Indiana Jones had finally realised what age had done to him and does for all of us mere mortals. He is afterall human. He was sinking, and ahds sunbk so low that he could no longer see Shorty or Marion. He figured Shorty would find a way out. He did teach Shorty everything he knew. Indy kept fighting an unwinnable struggle against the darkness and the creatures he soooo despised. His thoughts turned to Marion. And realised under all these horrible creatures that Satan had once been disguised as, that he had always loved her. And she had always loved him. Fate had brought together often and at the most unexpected times. She was the only woman he had loved that had lasted throughout his adventures and had been extremely tolerate of him. He owed her that much. He wanted to find Abner. Breath was being drawn from Indy, until....

BrodyIsDead

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets a lot better... for Indy that is!

...his leg was pulled deeper into the snake pit by some strong force. He gasped and began to panic. Was it a boa constrictor or a giant python? It had to be a huge snake to be able to pull a fully-grown man so easily. Indy was up to his waist in snakes now. They slithered and hissed around him. His other foot was now yanked down as well and he held his breath as the serpent carpet rose up towards his chin. The slime covered him and he made a decision to shave his beard off if he ever got out of this alive - it would stink of snake forever otherwise...

As he descended further and further down, he felt his fedora leave his head. His legs were being pulled and pulled and he could see the shadow of his hat above him, resting on the top layer of snakes. With one determined reach back up to the surface he grabbed the brim of the fedora and pulled it to him just in time as the snakes hissed and snapped at the hat. Indy wasn't going to let that old friend be lost like Marion and Shorty now were.

The archaelogist wasn't sure how much longer he could hold his breath for and the pit of snakes seemed bottomless as he slid through its depths. But suddenly he fell to stone floor and gasped a breath - the air around him was fresh and potent.

"Dr Jones..." It was David's voice. Indy had only heard the leader of the Eye of Horus speak for the first time in his life earlier that day but he hated it already. "We were expecting you."

"We just didn't think we'd have to pull out of the heavens when you arrived, Indy." This time it was Abner. Indy would recognise his old mentor's voice anywhere.

Indy looked around him but everything was in shadow... "Where... are you...?" he whispered, his throat had turned dry.

There was silence. No one moved in the shadows. Only the slither and slap of the snakes above his head could be heard. How did they stay up there, almost charmed into a levitation act?

"What is this place?" Indy asked another question to the darkness. Again there was silence in reply. Had imagined the voices? But if so, who had pulled him down here? He reached into his pocket as he got to his feet, pulling out an old lighter which he had got on his first trip to a green and pleasant island when he was about 16 years old. He felt for the shamrocks on either side and flicked the lid open. It had been a lucky charm for him on many occasions in his life, and as the flame sparked once again from it, he hoped its light would once again lead the way...

www.findthemissingreel.com :cool:

http://cgallan.blogspot.com/ ;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
With the flickering flame at hand, Indy once again saw his old mentor, Abner and the Eye of Lung Kou's leader, David. Indy was now puzzled by this pair.

"Why did David help save me, Abner?" Indy asked.

"Well, you see the Eye of Lung Kou rose up against him, in a coup. They wanted to sacrifice our souls to the spiritual guardians in return for secret ancient knowledge. A powerful artifact that no one has ever heard of." Abner answered.

"Then, if no one's heard of it, then how would you know about it and how would they know about it?" Indy asked.

"Because it is an artifact that belonged to the First Eye sect. The Eye of Horus, the secret guards of the Pharoah. The very reason the Pyramids and the Sphinx were built." David answered.
"The spiritual guardians of this temple know it's hidden domain and how to retrieve it safely and how to harness it's power. The spiritual guardians are the Eye of Horus and it's many other sects' founders and former members."

BrodyIsDead

Long time in coming, I know, but here it is...

"Tell me more", said Indy, eagerly.

"Well..." continued David but there was a sudden swooping in the air and three darts sunk their points into his neck. He fell to the floor, dead before he hit the stone ground.

"Abner, duck!" shouted Indy.

"It's the sect members, Indy, they want to make sure no-one stops them from their new mission!"

"Know a fast way out of here?" asked Indy, shielding himself behind a stone lion.

"This way!" whispered Abner. Darts whistled and span past them as they went. Abner pulled on one of the lion statue's sharp protruding teeth and a small hatch rumbled open at the back end of the chamber.

"Once we're out of here, we need to find Marion, Professor", said Indy as he dived through the hole.

Abner climbed through as well and used his shoulder to push a stone eye on the wall on the other side. The hatch closed again.

"We made it, old friend" smiled Abner. But as the last gap in the hatch disappeared, a lone dart shot through and caught Abner in the thigh.

"No!" shouted Indy, running to his old mentor.

"I... I won't have long, Indy. Listen to me... I forgive you for how things went with us and Marion all those years ago."

Indy cradled Abner in his arms. "Isn't there an antidote?"

"None that I know of." Abner winced slightly. "Listen, find my daughter and then follow these precise instructions to lead you to the spritual leaders before the remaining sect members get to them first..."

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I know it's been a while...

"My daughter is the key to finding them..... She'll know what to do. You must go to Nepal.... There....There you will go to the Cave...." Abner struggled to talk. He coughed out blood.

"What then?" Indy whispered.

"Tell Marion that I......sorry....." Abner Ravenwood had drawn his last breath. He was gone. Tears streamed from Indy's eyes. He got up and left Abner's limb body on the ground. They were coming! Indy bolted. Through the tunnels, he ran, not thinking about where he was going. He was taking his chances. He found himself in a large ornate antechamber. The ceiling was carved in decorate hieroglyphs. It was an underground temple.

"INDYYYYYYY!!!!"

Marion! Marion was tied, lying on the altar. She was in what looked like a petticoat. Indy ran to her and immediately cut the ropes.

"Are you ok?" asked Indy.

"Fine. Luckily they were distracted by Dad and David. Otherwise, this would have been a different story." Marion answered.

BrodyIsDead

Whatever happened to Flossie Sequin and Moondrifter?! Come on, guys!

"Where's Dad?" asked Marion. In her voice, Indy could hear growing fear.

"Marion..." Indy didn't have to finish the sentence. She broke down in tears. He held her in his arms as he'd held Abner in his last moments. The two sat on the cold stone floor, hugging one another for seven long minutes, forgetting the danger that could come at any moment.

"He whispered something to me as he died." said Indy, after an eternity of silence. "He said to tell you word for word..."

Marion lifted her head from Indy's chest. "Tell me." The tears had ceased.

"He said, 'I... always wanted to tell your mother how... sorry ..I was that we wrecklessely abandoned what we had'."

Marion got up with a new determination, dusting her costume off and she began to make for the corridor.

"Marion, do you mind explaining what that means? I never met your mother but..."

"Think Shorty can arrange discreet passage for us to Nepal?" asked Marion. There was a sense of purpose in the way she spoke.

"I'm sure, but first we'll have to find him." Indy got up himself and walked on after his old flame. "Marion, is this to do with a...?"

"Cave?" Marion turned and looked Indy in the eye. "Yes. But first we have to make a stop at the old Raven in the mountains there."

"Er... Marion..." Indy almost laughed. "We watched that place burn down years ago. There's nothing left there now."

"You couldn't be more wrong, Jones." It was Marion's turn to chuckle. "There was more to that bar than what was above ground. I knew the snow and ice would preserve our family's project and keep what was in the secret cellar there hidden until we needed it once more.....

For old-fashinoned action, adventure and downright family fun, catch a plane with a red trail line to: www.findthemissingreel.com

Last edited: