John Williams the Richest Man in America

A

Aussie Jones

So many films I've seen say Music by John Williams. He has scored so many blockbusters in his time. I think he gets royalties for the movies and the soundtracks. It's good when someone is rewarded for their talent. My boyfriend thinks he's the richest man in America.

Does anyone know how much John Williams is worth?

Katarn07

This isn't in the right place.

He's not the richest man in America. There are plenty of other composers out there for movies also, he just happens to be one of the better ones who gets do to better movies as well. I wonder what kind of pay he and other musicians make.

I think all of his music in all of the movies he's done is great. As a matter of fact, I just rented the 'Best of John Williams 1969-1999' from my library and burned them for my own private collection. Great stuff on there. Star Wars, Indy, Jaws, Superman, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park.... the list goes on and on.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Well because JW has made the music for many Film Classics, I'll move it there.

00Kevin

Indyfan
I think that his excellent reputation and his friendship wit george lucas, steven spielburg, chris columbus and others are a big part to his composing all these movies, I'ld say these directors take up at least half of all the films he's composed

JW is indeed the best composer, he just comes up with the perfect score for any movie, any scene, any genre. even movies that I say 'naw, this doesn't sound like JW', it's him, and it's excellent! John WIlliams is my favorite compose, I hope he continues for along time and let this new generation to learn the name...of John Williams

I

Indy's_main_man

your boyfriend thinks he's the richest man in america...does your boyfriend own a computer? BILL GATES ring a bell?

I wouldn't say John Williams is one of the most powerful people in America

intergamer

Maybe JW is the richest man in the United States, metaphorically :)

Let's suppose that John Williams makes 500 million for each movie. Times 80 movies = 40 billion. Still not the richest man in America (although close). Now consider that only a couple movies have ever even grossed 500 million.

I don't even understand...was the parent supposed to be a joke?

Indyz Azn Gurl

Indy's_main_man said:
your boyfriend thinks he's the richest man in america...does your boyfriend own a computer? BILL GATES ring a bell?

Actually...the richest people in America is the people who own Wal-Mart. :p

intergamer

Indyz Azn Gurl said:
Actually...the richest people in America is the people who own Wal-Mart. :p

It depends. If Sam was around he'd be the richest man in the world... but as it is his five (or is it 6?) children are all in the top ten (20 bill each).

As it stands now, Bill Gates is the richest man in the world, closely followed by Warren Buffet.

westford

I wouldn't have thought composing music would make you that much money. In copyright terms, the composer, performer and recording rights holders would all have claims, so you'd have to share profits from CD sales, etc. Say JW got paid $1 million to score a movie (random figure, I have no idea what he'd get), that's still nothing compared to what the director, producer, and stars get paid. Maybe he gets a cut from the box-office takings, I dunno, but it'd still be less than the likes of Spielberg...

I

Indy's_main_man

the owner of Wal mart WAS the richest man for a brief period of time...very brief. Bill gates took back the title quickly.

in my personal way of thinking Williams is the richest man of America if he's found god.

Redwall

It's an insult to our intelligence to think you have to warn us about the fact that Wal-Mart sucks. It's okay, though.

I can listen to John Williams music all day long. I have Raiders, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, and a couple of other selections of music on my computer here... I love it.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, it is Bill Gates. If you had read the posts you would have gathered that it was a question not a statement.