New York !!!

ElodieJones

From the 2 to the 13 September, I will go in New York.
My godmother lives there.

So I want to know what is really important to see.
Where found Indiana Jones toys, books, etc...
Does anybody lives there ?

Joe Brody

Joe Brody's New York City Recommendations are as follows:

Musuems: Only two: Do the Musuem of Modern Art -- but do it fast and in the evening/late in the day. DO NOT burn time waiting in line. If you're an Indyfan, you have to go to the Map Room of the New York Public Libarary. It's breathtaking -- the rest of the building is not too bad either. Do the remaining musuems in the following order: The Met, the Whitney, the Guggenheim (unless there's something special -- which I'll check for you), The Morgan Library and then the Frick. You live in the EU, so don't waste time going up to the Cloisters.

Shopping: Not my thing -- but from an Indiana Jones P.O.V., round short will recommend Holland and Holland but I recommend http://www.cockpitusa.com/. It's down in the Village and there's tons of cool shopping that's too much to cover here. Right now Cockpit has some cool Chinese Communist t-shirts with female soldiers and jet pilots. I hope to pick these up for my girls this week.

Eating: If you're shopping in the Village, get a burger at Chumley's. It's a bona-fide former speak-easy set back in a court-yard with no sign. So you'll have to have directions. Its literary and historical significance is too long to get into here. An Indyfan will love it. Also in the village I love "Fish" on Bleeker. If you're interested, I can also recommend good Thai down in Chinatown and some other places of note.

Sightseeing: I'll defer to others on this -- depends on what is your poision. But you have to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn to New York City. You want to either take the subway over to Borough Hall or take a ferry to fulton landing. I prefer the Ferry because walking up to Brooklyn Heights will take you by the Eagle Warehouse where Walt-the-man-Whitman used to work. Walk along the Brooklyn Height's promenade -- get a flounder sandwhich at Lassen and Hennings. Check out Brooklyn Height's two Federal Courts (Eastern District) and then head over the Brooklyn Bridge back toward Manhatten. Once in Manhatten duck into the Surrogates Court -- it may look familiar -- it's the building that housed Nicole Kidman's office in her Batman flic. Check out the Federal Courthouses in Foley Square. US justice rules. Walk up to Chinatown.

As for the touristy stuff, only do the Empire State Building late in the evening EARLY in the week. The Observation Deck on top of the Rockefeller Center is also pretty cool from an Art Deco point-of-view. While there check out the Lindburgh lobby.

I'll post more when I think of it.

Last edited:

intergamer

I'm living just across the Brooklyn bridge in Brooklyn Heights this summer and working in the Tribeca District (Manhattan), but I'll be back at school by then..
They normally say to see a show, but your English might not be good enough for it to be interesting; I was thinking you might still like "The Drowsy Chaperone" though; you can get about half price tickets from people at Central Park on the day of.
brody is getting a little esoteric with some of those political places, you might just check out the statue of liberty
I'm just a 5 minute walk from Lassen and Hennings, I'm going to go there right now for dinner :D

roundshort

Go to Dean and Deluca in Soho, and yes, treck up to Holland and Holland and look at the most beautiful firearms, EVER made! I would love big 'ol 407, and matching set of 12 guages! What great firearms!

roundshort

intergamer said:
Not everybody is interested in looking at guns

O.K. . . .thats for the input, I guess . . .If you are asking about Indy type places, do some research and see the place Holland and Holland has in exploring India and Africa, these are pieces of art, not some cold steel and plastic killing machines. Grab a Sothbys auction book and see what they sell for . . .I think a handbuilt H&H will fecth upwards of 60,000 pounds . . .

check out www.hollandandholland.com

"Lighten up"

intergamer

Yes, I know what they are, and I'm not anti guns either; you lighten up

Lassen and hennings only has flounder on wednesdays and fridays, I got salmon

Joe Brody

intergamer said:
I'm living just across the Brooklyn bridge in Brooklyn Heights this summer and working in the Tribeca District (Manhattan), but I'll be back at school by then...
brody is getting a little esoteric with some of those political places, you might just check out the statue of liberty
I'm just a 5 minute walk from Lassen and Hennings, I'm going to go there right now for dinner :D

If you're in Brooklyn Heights, you've got to at least back me up on walking across the bridge toward Manhattan?

I mention the Courthouses (and I'd include Borough and the restored City Hall in Manhattan) because there is tons of history there. The new Federal Courthouse at 50 Pearl has scupture by Maya Lin -- and its own the way to Chinatown heading north from the Brooklyn Bridge.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
If you're in Brooklyn Heights, you've got to at least back me up on walking across the bridge toward Manhattan?

I mention the Courthouses (and I'd include Borough and the restored City Hall in Manhattan) because there is tons of history there. The new Federal Courthouse at 50 Pearl has scupture by Maya Lin -- and its own the way to Chinatown heading north from the Brooklyn Bridge.

Why bother Joe . . .Inter knows it all . . .maybe the Black Rock (or is it black stone???) buliding is a nice thing to see if up by Moma!

Last edited:

Joe Brody

intergamer said:
I thought she said she was already in Manhattan?

It's more dramatic walking Brooklyn-to-Manhattan rather than the other way around. If starting in Brooklyn, you get the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop. So I suggested she either take the subway to Borough Hall or a Ferry that lands at Fulton Landing. I recommended the later because she could then check out the Eagle Warehouse and then take a short walk up the hill to Brooklyn Heights or the Promenade.

Are you staying in a private apartment or a dorm? And if a dorm, it wouldn't happen to be a Brooklyn Law dorm would it?

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
It's more dramatic walking Brooklyn-to-Manhattan rather than the other way around. If starting in Brooklyn, you get the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop. So I suggested she either take the subway to Borough Hall or a Ferry that lands at Fulton Landing. I recommended the later because she could then check out the Eagle Warehouse and then take a short walk up the hill to Brooklyn Heights or the Promenade.

Are you staying in a private apartment or a dorm? And if a dorm, it wouldn't happen to be a Brooklyn Law dorm would it?

Speeking of class, don't you have a test . . .or something . . .

intergamer

Joe Brody said:

I'm staying at the St. George Hotel next door to the Clark St. subway stop, which in recent years has been set up as a summer dorm for students/interns around the city.

Joe Brody

intergamer said:
I'm staying at the St. George Hotel next door to the Clark St. subway stop, which in recent years has been set up as a summer dorm for students/interns around the city.

I know the St. George -- and I think it has an interesting history if memory serves. And I've come out of that subway stop into that little causeway many a time. Clark St. has an elevator right?

Thanks roundshort -- just taking a break. Went for a swim got some ribs and checked out Journey in concert. Back now.

intergamer

Joe Brody said:
I know the St. George -- and I think it has an interesting history if memory serves. And I've come out of that subway stop into that little causeway many a time. Clark St. has an elevator right?

Quite, it has an elevator that gets asymptotically slower as it reaches either end :eek:
The St. George goes way back, it's one of those hotels that once hosted presidents and so forth; a large portion of it was set on fire a few years ago and now rebuilt.

Joe Brody

I'm going to come out against visiting the Statue of Liberty. I don't think visitors are allowed any higher up than the Statue's base now (and even if you can get up into the actual body) I just don't think the time investment is worth it. Whenever I'm down in Battery Park, I'm blown away by the lines for the boats out to Lady Liberty and Ellis Island. If you have an ambitious trip planned (and I think you're into art), you are better off visiting a bonus musuem or two before blowing most of the day on these two very time-consuming attractions.

My recommendation would be to do the following. On a good weather day, go downtown early (8 a.m.-ish) and visit the site of the World Trade Center. Check out the temporary PATH train station (great temporary architecture) and Trinity Church (featured in the film National Treasure). Walk over to Battery Park, check out the Battery and walk over to the Staten Island Ferry. Buy a bagel tea or light breakfast from either a vendor or the restaurant by the end of the Ferry. Ride the Ferry, kick back, and go over to Staten Island. This is your chance to take photos of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Return to Manhattan on the same Ferry. When you get back, walk up through the Financial District. Then either walk down to the South Street Seaport for the Ferry which I think runs from there to Fulton Landing or find the nearest 2 & 3 Subway stop (Chambers) to get you over to Brooklyn. Hit Lansen & Hennings and eat lunch on the Promenade. Walk through Brooklyn Heights and then over the Brooklyn Bridge. Once over the Bridge, head West past Town Hall, check out the Woolworth Building and then backtrack North-East to the Courthouse in Foley Square. The views from the Federal Court of Appeals Libarary in Foley Square are some of the best in the City. Walk up to Chinatown and do the tourist thing and then walk up to Village, check out NYU, shop and eat dinner. Then that evening either go to a movie in that area -- or if you've planned ahead, some of the best off-Broadway threatres are down in the Village. Tickets for off-broadway shows are available at the same TKTS booth in Times Square that sells for the Broadway shows.

That's a good day.

intergamer said:
Quite, it has an elevator that gets asymptotically slower as it reaches either end :eek:

Better than the inverse. I think there's been a mishap or two there.