Last Crusade's laying of groundwork for Young Indy

Crack that whip

Has there ever been a lot of discussion of how much of what Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade established an Indy adventure could be eventually found its way into The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones?

Obviously, there's the fact that LC gives us our first glimpse of a younger Indy himself, as well as our first look at his father, but there's quite a bit more, too:

• first incorporation of actual historical figures as on-screen characters (Hitler, et al)
  • first reveal of origins of character traits (hat, whip, scar, ophidiophobia, view of antiquities in LC; expanded development of ophidiophobia, mastery of languages, second nature of global travel, knowledge of culture / history / philosophy / myth, ladies' man tendencies in YI, in addition to traits seen mostly or only in the show - music tastes, etc.)
  • first reappearance of previously-seen supporting characters (when there were just two Indy movies, it looked like each one might be totally different and have no connection to anything that had come before, with no characters other than Indy ever reappearing; LC and YI, though, both made extensive use of other recurring characters besides Indy)
  • first appearance not just of his father, but of any discussion of his family / background in general, up to and including his dog Indiana and his appropriation of her name for his own

- all from one particular movie, and one which not only bore all the typical hallmarks of the feature films that differentiate them from the TV series (supernatural elements, pulp adventure stylings, etc.), but even invented a whole country for narrative convenience. Kind of interesting...

Crack that whip

Holy cats, how'd I ever miss that? :eek: I'm amazed I didn't know about that all these years (and rather embarrassed).

I think I'll go crawl under a rock now, and when I come out I'll have to read all about this place. I had thought it was completely the invention of Jeffrey Boam.

(In my defense, though, it appears to have been around for hardly any more time than necessary for its portrayal in the movie; no wonder I'd never seen it on a map...)

(I would wish I'd never made that post, preserving my ignorance here for all posterity, but making it did allow me to learn something that I somehow never found out anywhere else before in anything I'd ever read of the history of the region, or even in the nearly two decades since I first heard of the country via its inclusion in the movie, so I'm glad I posted. I just wish I didn't have to learn something new in such a publicly humiliating way... :eek: )

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Crack that whip said:
[*]first appearance not just of his father, but of any discussion of his family / background in general, up to and including his dog Indiana and his appropriation of her name for his own

Technically, Indy's mother was first mentioned in Raiders. It's something like "Marcus, you're starting to sound like my mother." :p

ATMachine

Don't forget, in the original LC script (and the scene as shot of Indy first meeting Donovan), Henry Sr. was already pegged as Chair of Medieval Studies at Princeton. So Henry was clearly an Ivy Leaguer from the get-go, though how long he had been on staff there remained fuzzy up until YI, if the LC Graphic Adventure Grail Diary is anything to go by.

tupogirl

This is why LC was my first actual Indy movie since I got into Indy all wrong apparently (Chronicles first);).