Petition to publish Staff of Kings novelization!

DIrishB

Icybro said:
Well, it took a couple of days longer than I expected, but I just posted my letter to Lucasfilm via snail mail. I even enclosed a $20 check (with the memo field marked "for the Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings novel"), just to demonstrate that there really is a market for this book. We'll see what happens.

Has anybody else taken up Mr. MacGregor's advice and written an old-fashioned non-e-mail about the book? I doubt one such letter will make much of a difference, but a hundred might . . . If everyone who signed the petition sends a letter, I bet the novel would see a release in one form or another. :gun:

Definitely. Any way you could post the Lucasfilm mailing address (not sure if they have a separate address for merchandising/licensing, but they probably do). I'll do the same (mail a letter with a check or money order) and keep my fingers crossed.

Icybro

DIrishB said:
Definitely. Any way you could post the Lucasfilm mailing address (not sure if they have a separate address for merchandising/licensing, but they probably do). I'll do the same (mail a letter with a check or money order) and keep my fingers crossed.

I sent my letter to Lucas at the address above; hopefully it'll get forwarded to the appropriate department. (I did find a couple of addresses by googling "Lucas Licensing address," but the listings didn't seem all too trustworthy.)

Icybro

A letter from Lucas Licensing President Howard Roffman showed up in my mailbox this afternoon. (See? Snail mail is the way to go!) He writes:

Unfortunately, the novel was not completed in time to publish when the game released and the publisher made the decision to cancel the book.

He goes on to note that Army of the Dead should be out in September. (And he returned my check.) While I wish he had better news, I gotta give Mr. Roffman a lot of credit for responding to my inquiry. :hat:

It seems Lucasfilm is not at fault for the book's cancellation, after all . . . Should we direct our efforts at Del Rey, instead?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The publisher made a mistake. I've seen books based on games come out at different times. They screwed themselves over if you ask me. Maximum profit or nothing.

DocWhiskey

Icybro said:
A letter from Lucas Licensing President Howard Roffman showed up in my mailbox this afternoon. (See? Snail mail is the way to go!) He writes:

"Unfortunately, the novel was not completed in time to publish when the game released and the publisher made the decision to cancel the book."

Wait, because of all the game delays didn't MacGregor say he finished the novel months before it was released?

So they're lying to us now?

LawgSkrak

^^ Probably.

But then again, the writing of the book may have been completed, but that doesn't mean the book itself was ready.

dr.jones1986

im enjoying it so far. I don't mind the refrencing to the movies and other expaned universe stuff. My only problem is why he describes Mac as an archeologist. The movie never says he isnt, but it seems pretty clear that he isn't...hes portrayed as ignorant and not scholarly in any way. The author also makes him out to be this way yet claims both he and Indy are archeologists. Minor grip but whatever

Also i dont like how the Japanese and German agents arent working together, there allies and should be fighting together like Indy and Mac who both work for seperate allies. This also makes the story more monatonous to follow, with two seperate parties of bad guys, plus the zombie leader.

Im one 100pgs in and decpite the minor critique, I actually think it is quite good.

emtiem

I finally got round to finishing the game and it does have a rather fun plot that I'd like to see as a book.

Insomniac

dr.jones1986 said:
im enjoying it so far. I don't mind the refrencing to the movies and other expaned universe stuff. My only problem is why he describes Mac as an archeologist. The movie never says he isnt, but it seems pretty clear that he isn't...hes portrayed as ignorant and not scholarly in any way. The author also makes him out to be this way yet claims both he and Indy are archeologists. Minor grip but whatever

Also i dont like how the Japanese and German agents arent working together, there allies and should be fighting together like Indy and Mac who both work for seperate allies. This also makes the story more monatonous to follow, with two seperate parties of bad guys, plus the zombie leader.

Im one 100pgs in and decpite the minor critique, I actually think it is quite good.

Do you mean Amry of the Dead?
I think your on the wrong thread!

emtiem

It'd be nice if they could just release it as an ebook; you'd think the costs would be lower and many here would be happy to pay for it. I get the feeling I'd enjoy it more than the other novels as the story feels like a proper Indy adventure: I've tried one of the 90's books (which I heard was good) and it didn't seem to capture any of the pace, spirit or outrageousness of the films at all.

I suspect they want to sit on it in case Indy 5 comes out and there's another resurgence of interest.

Icybro

I haven't entirely given up hope yet, but it's not looking good. After MacGregor heard about my response from Howard Roffman, he suggested writing the editor-in-chief at Del Rey:

Betsy Mitchell, Editor in chief
Del Rey Books
1745 Broadway
18th Floor
New York NY 10019

I sent her a $20 check as "advance payment for the Staff of Kings novel in whatever form [she] decide to publish it" (and I suggested an e-book) . . . but that was a couple of months ago and I haven't heard back. (The check wasn't cashed, either.)

Maybe they'll reconsider if Army of the Dead sells well . . . ? Or if you all send in $20 checks, too :whip:

bennihana123

Is there any chance at all that Rob MacGregor would post this online as a "fan's novelization"? Or are there too many legal barriers? I want to read this so badly :(

bennihana123 said:
Is there any chance at all that Rob MacGregor would post this online as a "fan's novelization"? Or are there too many legal barriers? I want to read this so badly :(

Never going to happen; MacGregor doesn't own the novel - Lucasfilm does. And we all know what happens when they make up their mind :(

kongisking

I'll mail myself in a box to Lucas himself, and when he opens it...BAM! I'll leap out, grab him by his flannel shirt and haul him over to the nearest phone. Then I'll scream, "Now, you call those dumbells over at LucasBooks and order them yourself to release the Staff of Kings novelization! Either that, or give me everything you've got concerning development on Indy 5!"

Wait a moment...nah, that would never work.

Better to just pray to Shiva that a copy fall from the sky in an inflatable raft. Much higher probability of success.