Temple of the Forbidden Eye

Le Saboteur

Fast-forward to about 4:23.

(y)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HTBwpPCg0Z8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROB98374

Le Saboteur said:
Fast-forward to about 4:23.

(y)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HTBwpPCg0Z8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's was funny.
I am thinking about going to Disneyland this month to see if there are any changes to my favorite ride. No solid plans yet, but it is a strong maybe!

Le Saboteur

If you bought any Adventurer's Club merchandise...

...then you better go to hell and wait for it.

Attila the Professor said:
Mostly, I'm curious about this dart room mural.

Same here. It's the one hu-uge let down on an otherwise spectacular attraction. While I've read that there's a significant problem with space in that segment, WDI should be able to figure a way to improve those horribly flat skeletons. That section looks like something you'd find at a local funfair.

Now that the temple is starting its intake again, I'm curious as to what the long term plans for Aladdin's Oasis are. Personally, I never thought it meshed with the... well, fairly realistic presentation of Adventureland. Sure, there are plenty examples of mysticism throughout the land, but Aladdin is a step too far.

There are plenty of calls amongst Disneyland enthusiasts for the return of the not so fabulous Tahitian Terrace. To which I would say, belay that idea. Torpedo it in fact. Go visit the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu's North Shore if you want a canned South Pacific experience. The one in Tahiti is pretty nice, too.

My idea: The Adventurer's Club. Or, something similar. Dig:

Wikipedia said:
The Adventurers Club was a themed nightclub in Pleasure Island at the Walt Disney World Resort. It was styled after a private club for world travelers and explorers and was set in 1937. The walls of the club were covered with artifacts and photographs from various explorations. The Adventurers Club featured animatronics, puppets, and a cast of adventurers who performed in shows and improvisational comedy while mingling with the club's patrons. Shows and conversation were often laced with innuendo, and the patrons might have been welcomed as guests, given fictitious names and "recognized" as fellow adventurers, or simply referred to as "drunks".

Most of the original props ended up in Hong Kong Disneyland, so everything would have to be created from scratch. However, the theming would be easy to replicate. Not to mention, draw on the rich history of the World Famous Jungle Cruise and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mOGBcRaVP_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The smaller footprint WDI would have to work with presents obvious challenges, but I had in mind a multi-level structure with a Jungle Cruise overlook and, possibly, a rooftop terrace similar to Sallah's house.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HQnu2nP50Ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kungaloosh!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
My idea: The Adventurer's Club. Or, something similar. Dig:

Most of the original props ended up in Hong Kong Disneyland, so everything would have to be created from scratch. However, the theming would be easy to replicate. Not to mention, draw on the rich history of the World Famous Jungle Cruise and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye.

I've heard that a couple may have shown up at Trader Sam's as well, but Mystic Point is the primary recipient. (Brandon Kleyla's work, by the way.)

That being said, one wonders if they'd really double down on that sort of concept at the same resort, even though an in-park club wouldn't be a bar.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Plans confirmed, I'll be there the 9th through the 11th and again on the 13th. I'll be rocking KCCO's BFM3D...on Monday.

What does anyone want to know?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Plans confirmed, I'll be there the 9th through the 11th and again on the 13th. I'll be rocking KCCO's BFM3D...on Monday.

It soft opened today for awhile. This is what I've heard:

The lighting looks great, particularly in the Tunnel of Torment (after Mara), which has been redone.

Queue is freshly painted and looks good as new. The rope and spike room effects still don't work, however.

I haven't heard anything about whether the rats projection looks any better, or about the poison dart scene, which was apparently being changed slightly.

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:

The general feel of the jeeps and what's going on with the useless gift shop.

I've heard that a couple may have shown up at Trader Sam's as well, but Mystic Point is the primary recipient. (Brandon Kleyla's work, by the way.)

Yeah, I learned about Brandon's "documentary" recently and mentioned it on the Trader Sam's thread. He's certainly a better set decorator than filmmaker.

That being said, one wonders if they'd really double down on that sort of concept at the same resort, even though an in-park club wouldn't be a bar.

Probably not. You could do still do some interesting things with it; i.e., a rotating global menu assuming the kitchen is still intact (I've heard that it's not).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Andy Castro of Dateline Disneyland has posted a video. It's not an easy ride to film, but the Tunnel of Torment looks <I>great</I>.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yv4acWEo2vs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Gonzo

Andy Castro of Dateline Disneyland has posted a video. It's not an easy ride to film, but the Tunnel of Torment looks <I>great</I>.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yv4acWEo2vs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Forgive my stupidity but which section is the tunnel of torment?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
Forgive my stupidity but which section is the tunnel of torment?

I should have made that clear to begin with. The Tunnel of Torment is the scene after that with Mara. Indy is there struggling with a set of doors, and there's lightning in the room.

keylan

Just got back from the Temple, it has been a few years since I have been there since I now live about 10 hours away. I must say that it is one of the greatest rides there at Disneyland. That along with the redesined Star Tours. I discovered a few new things while I was there but I had no idea about all the cool hidden items that are around the temple. Next time I get a chance to head out there again I will have to keep a better eye out.

Pale Horse

Staff member

No, it's not, and he did a pretty good job. Definate Kudos, knowing how hard it is. In the end, all I noticed was a lot of paint and lighting effects that are now crisp and clean. Not much beyond that.

Le Saboteur

Familial circumstances brought me to Southern California last week, and I opted to spend 12/12/12 @ Disneyland. Surprisingly enough, the park was quite empty and I never waited more than twenty-minutes for Indy. The impending threat of rain combined with the middle of the week probably helped out.

So...

The lighting looks great, particularly in the Tunnel of Torment (after Mara), which has been redone.

Yes, yes it does. It's much brighter than it ever was (LED I assume) and zips along the wall at a good clip. Unfortunately, the smoke that was supposed mask your ascent up the tunnel is still missing.

The rope and spike room effects still don't work, however.

Both are working. The bamboo in the spike room is still a wobbly mess so you need to give it quite a yank. It works, though. The rope effect has a newly painted sign informing you not to pull the rope, and the speaker has been replaced or the volume turned up as you can clearly hear the gag now.

Indy is there struggling with a set of doors, and there's lightning in the room.

He used to be struggling with the doors. Watch it again. While it's nice to see a new positing of the AA-figure, the placement doesn't make much sense. Now he's only sort of holding one door back. The other one should come swinging open.

The lighting in that unknown hell has been changed too. It used to be that smoke would billow forth from here and lightning would flash. Now it looks like some sort of Mardi Gras colored vortex. Which doesn't quite work.

The skeleton cavern appears larger. No confirmation of this, but I think the mural has been given a facelift and better depth perception.

The bug room is still the same, but the projection now appears to be in high-def. You can make the bugs out clearly, they scatter when the headlights first illuminate them, and they respond to the lights as they flicker and go out.

I didn't actually notice any changes to the bridge. That appears the same, but another rider insisted that they're there if you know where to look. When I go back at the end of the month, I'll see if I can spot 'em.

There are two noticeably good improvements in the main chamber: the cobra and the demon ghost. For years, the giant cobra has been some sort of neon green color; takes me right out of the ride every time. Now it's much closer to that of an Indian cobra, most notably in the area of the face, hood, and belly scales.

The cobra's "tracking" has also been vastly improved. The cobra now tracks your jeep as soon as he sees it and strikes the moment you get too close. In the past, I think the snake would "lose" the jeep and either not strike at all or strike too late.

The demon ghost appears just behind Mara's head in the main chamber. For years it was essentially a paper cut out accompanied by a sound effect. Now, it's a digital scrim. It's invisible until your jeep comes barreling by and he comes swooping out of the sky.

Not much has changed from the final section of the ride that I could tell. The ball effect wasn't working properly, but that appears to be a common complaint thus far. Hopefully it's working by the end of the month.

The final dart room might have a redone mural, but I'll need to check out a pre-refurb video. Still looks...well, bad.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
<I>Excellent</I> report, Le Saboteur. I'll need to take another look at the AA positioning in the Tunnel. Looking forward to checking all of this out in person.

Le Saboteur

<I>Excellent</I> report, Le Saboteur. I'll need to take another look at the AA positioning in the Tunnel. Looking forward to checking all of this out in person.

:hat:

I don't do much, but I certainly try. In the meantime, I did find this rather excellent low-light video of the ride from a couple of days ago. The picture quality is infinitely better in this video while managing to remain stable throughout.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mz_onGQnsz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is one more new addition that I would like to see: a wall. Right when you're about to exit the main chamber after the demon ghost, there should be a wall that your jeep crashes through. It could provide story-cover to that section as being "unexplored" hence the darkness. A second tunnel could be erected elsewhere where you were, well, supposed to exit from.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Look forward to this ride in person again next year. I've never seen the demon ghost effect so that would be welcome and am curious about this vortex lighting that has replaced the lightning effects. The cobra last time I went a couple of years back was the neon colour so a more realistic paint job would be nice however last time I rode it did manage to strike the car at the right time.

Goonie

Just watched that low light POV video of the ride over at Micechat (one of the members there filmed it). He just started a thread with other low light videos of other rides around Disneyland. The thread is here:
http://micechat.com/forums/disneyla...nes-pirates-haunted-mansion-peter-pan-hd.html

The part of the ride that still sticks out like a sore thumb are those painted skeletons near the end.

And one thing I've been trying to figure out to this day since I rode the ride for the first time in '07; after boarding your vehicle and before doing the right turn, on the left there are a bunch of mirrors hanging. Can someone explain what the significance of these is?

InexorableTash

In those videos, at least, the snake does look much less cartoony!

Re: mirrors. Don't look into the eyes of Mara! I assume they were used by the diggers to avoid getting cursed, a la Medusa, while they were covering up the eyes of the various Mara statues in the temple.

Stoo

WOW! Thanks for the link, Goonie!:hat: Finally, the best look inside that I've seen to date. Never having been on the ride, this video is as good as it gets.(y)

In that hallway of 'skeleton warrior' paintings, it doesn't look like much is going on besides some dart sound effects. Am I missing something?:confused: