George Lucas

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Am I wrong?

He's saying Greedo always shot first, that people who think Han shot first are confused...

:confused:

He doesn't want us to think that Han shot first because he's turned into an old softy. So he's changing his story, like he changes his films.

George Lucas' rationale

Star Wars creator George Lucas explained the change by stating that he wanted to make clear to children that Han had "no choice" but to shoot Greedo. This justification was unsatisfactory to many long-time and adult fans of the series. The ire of some fans led to an online petition demanding that the changes be retracted.[3] The primary objection to the revision is that it alters Han's initially morally ambiguous character, making his later transition from anti-hero to hero less meaningful;[4] others claim that shooting Greedo first was justified, since Han was likely to be killed by Greedo or Jabba the Hutt, making Han's preemptive action both prudent and necessary. The plausibility of Greedo missing from such a short distance is also considered questionable, and criticized as being depicted in an awkward manner.[citation needed]

Since the Special Editions, there have been two DVD releases. In the 2004 DVD release, the disputed scene was altered again. In this version, Greedo still shoots before Han does, and he still misses at close range, but the timing is altered (so the shots are fired at almost the same time) and Han "dodges" the shot (digital manipulation is used to "lean" the character to one side).

The 2006 DVD had two versions—the 2004 changes and the original theatrical version. The theatrical version features no changes, including Han shooting first. When announcing the dual-version DVDs, Lucasfilm noted that the scene was included by saying: "...and yes, [viewers] see Han Solo shot first."[5]

For the 2011 Blu-ray release, the shot of Han and Greedo firing at each other from the 2004 DVD has been tightened up by several frames.[6]

In a 2012 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Lucas altered his previous statements by announcing that Greedo had always shot first - stating that a combination of bad close-up shots and the audiences' inaccurate perception of the Han Solo character was what actually caused all the confusion: "The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn’t. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down."[7]

3.^ "Han Shoots First". hanshootsfirst.org. Retrieved 2006-12-03.
4.^ Sagers, Aaron, "An unbelievable day in the life of Jack Bauer", The Morning Call, February 15, 2006
5.^ "This September: Original Unaltered Trilogy on DVD". starwars.com. 2006-05-03. Archived from the original on 2008-07-01. Retrieved 2006-12-03.
6.^ "More Changes to STAR WARS Include Blinking Ewoks and Different Cut of Greedo Shooting First". collider.com. 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
7.^ "5 Questions With George Lucas: Controversial 'Star Wars' Changes, SOPA and 'Indiana Jones 5'".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_shot_first

saw another one of these on another forum...
"I understand the fanaticism and the sense of ownership we can feel towards the Star Wars saga but ultimately the films are his to do as he pleases. If I walked up to a neighbor and said hey "hey, you ruined your house by painting it I liked the previous color why did you go ahead and change it, he would probably tell me: who cares what you think? F**k off"

Thats such a bogus defense (and lame scenario for comparison), and Im tired of hearing it. Films are made to be seen by an audience: it has to be a shared experience whether entertaining, pleasing, or not. so this way of thinking justifies George being a pr**k because he doesnt understand the basis of his own medium?! I mean, he's more than happy to take in all the money that helped make those films that he wanted to see just for himself. If he really wanted to save face, he should have just made his movies, stayed quiet, and out of sight. Every time he opens his mouth...I mean, f**k...cmon, George. And cmon, Star Wars fans, admit the faults, and love the prequels for being good, bad movies.

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

Lucas: The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn?t. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down.

The actual original footage does have a different shot. When the blaster goes off it shows a frontal view of Greedo only and doesn't show Han take the shot on screen. And looking at it after all these years I have to say the explosion of Greedo looks pretty bad. But I did not see Greedo take a shot and there is no second blaster sound. This was from referencing the SW 2006 DVD's that came with the unaltered versions of the films. George must think we are severely ignorant to believe Greedo took the shot first or at the same time considering it can be referenced through millions of VHS tapes and a release of the original on DVD in 2006.

Scanned%201987%20Spring.JPG

P.S. Who is this beardless guy? :)

Last edited:

AdoreAFedora

Lucas' problem is that after the initial success of his first movies, he gears the sequels to sell toys and merchandising. Lucas is not rich from the profits of his movies but by all the plastic that the movies sell. His movies are Franchise driven. The original Star Wars and Indiana Jones for example were not franchise driven because nobody knew if these movies were going to make a hit with the public or not. That's why people are so fond of those movies and then complain about everything afterwards.

Licensed products, toys and merchandise is what funds the next movies. So when you make movies just to sell crappy action figures and Underoos and then try to appease fanboy expectations while trying to scrounge up a story from backstories you wrote over 30+ years ago (while allowing novelists to also expand on your characters and then contradict those story lines you already gave approval to), you're pretty much doomed. The Star Wars Prequels are a perfect example of this.

Indy's brother

Reading into Harry's facial expression really sells this shot. It's a look that conveys "Hey George, save it for someone that wasn't there, 'kay?"

Henry W Jones

I'm sure this is old news but I just found out Indy and George not only share a childhood pet (Indiana) but they also share the middle name Walton.

Junior Jones

Henry W Jones said:
I'm sure this is old news but I just found out Indy and George not only share a childhood pet (Indiana) but they also share the middle name Walton.

Not exactly a childhood pet, since Indiana wasn't George's dog.

Committed...

George received Rev. Al Sharpton?s National Action Network?s Triumph Award

Originally posted by NY Daily News

George Lucas created the ?Star Wars? universe and led Indiana Jones to the Lost Ark, but even he couldn?t overcome Hollywood?s racial barriers.

Lucas: "...studios didn?t want to release it. It was hard getting it into theaters. Civil rights still has a long way to go.?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2CifYWxJXaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Lucas: "Civil rights still has a long way to go.”

Katanga was a pirate.

Lando was a low down dirty swindler.

Oola was forced to dance her sexy dance before being fed to the Rancor.

James Earl Jones spoke some of the most evil lines in the galaxy.

Way to go, Lucas. :rolleyes:

:D

Raiders90

How much blame does Rick McCallum have for George Lucas' creative decline?

How much blame do you feel Rick McCallum has for the arguable decline in George Lucas' creative powers or his lack of creative restraint which began in the '90s? I feel view McCallum to be the Yoko Ono to George's John Lennon. The only thing he ever did well was the YIJC.

Last edited:
Raiders112390 said:
How much blame do you feel Rick McCallum has for the arguable decline in George Lucas' creative powers or his lack of creative restraint which began in the '90s? I feel view McCallum to be the Yoko Ono to George's John Lennon. The only thing he ever did well was the YIJC.

From the Shy of starting an "I hate Rick McCallum" thread: McCallum interview
that I bumped earlier today to ask where oh where had he gone...
Rocket Surgeon said:
I don't blame him for the direction Lucas is taking Indy or belching what he passes for content.

Rick McCallum isn't the creative cancer, but to paraphrase myself, Rick McCallum still held its hand, fed it greasy food, lit its cigarettes and took it for long drives under the power lines to the nuclear power plant.

McCallum has no soul. He's a callous company man. No one puts any stock into what he says...Lucas wanted to surround himself with sycophants and he did.

The reason he COULD sourrond himself with "Yes Men" is because he made his fortune COLLABORATING with tallented people and artists.

People who kept him grounded and told him the hard truths for the sake of the project.

Not the Mom and Dad who told him the discharge of his rectum was spun silk.

Come on Mitchy, ?He will have completed his task as a man...? goes WAY beyond the role of producer.

Its ugly, and coming from McCallum I can only guess the opposite is true.

He's just one (but the most vocal) in the long line of post Marcia, Kurtz and Edlund yes men.

Dr. Gonzo

George tied the knot yesterday

Lucas got married to long time girlfriend Mellody.

Bill Moyers actually officiated. No joke.