The All Things Alien Thread

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
More from AICN:
Numerous rumors have indicated that the Skulls of the title are extraterrestrial in origin; I've pointedly been told that this was absolutely the case. Some online reports have said the "alien" creators of the Crystal Skulls would be suggested by temple statues that were pointedly designed to evoke the aliens in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (i.e. a deliberate cross-connect between the two films); I know nothing about whether this particular conceit is in any way accurate.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The more I hear the more I keep thinking this film will have a degree of SMFM in it. Let's see... Jungle...check.... Possible Area 51...check.... Big Waterfall...check... supposedly kidnapped Indygirl....check.... a possible encounter with aliens...check... a college campus chase...check.... a rumoured church scene....check... New Mexico... check.... Some kind of devestating power in the form of the activation of the Crystal Skulls... sounds like the alien bomb.

Miss_Jones

Violet Indy said:
The more I hear the more I keep thinking this film will have a degree of SMFM in it.

I just had to check out that Saucer Men from Mars thing that's mentioned around. I read a synopsis at indyfan.com and... :eek: :sick: But to be honest, this whole alien gods + Mayan temples stuff always reminds me of the Alien / Predator movies. So I kinda hope they don't really go that way, because it's done to death. If they do go that way... I'm praying that the story works.

indyt

Miss_Jones said:
I just had to check out that Saucer Men from Mars thing that's mentioned around. I read a synopsis at indyfan.com and... :eek: :sick: But to be honest, this whole alien gods + Mayan temples stuff always reminds me of the Alien / Predator movies. So I kinda hope they don't really go that way, because it's done to death. If they do go that way... I'm praying that the story works.

Alien vs. Predator was exactly what I was thinking.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Violet Indy said:
Jungle...check.... Possible Area 51...check.... Big Waterfall...check... supposedly kidnapped Indygirl....check.... a possible encounter with aliens...check... a college campus chase...check.... a rumoured church scene....check... New Mexico... check....
And now, the ants.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
*sigh* I just read about that. Should we be expecting Indy and Marion to make out at a drive-in in New Mexico and a spaceship drags their truck off the ground? This is sounding really bad. The best thing about this movie is Marion. It's like the only things they changed was the MacGuffin, Marion instead of Elaine, a main female villain and a greaser.

And should we also be expecting Marion on her own to have that encounter with the aliens too? Perhaps they weren't saying "muuurkah" and they say, "maaarion." Giant spider-like aliens....hmmmm... Giant ants replacing those too? :p And perhaps Marion is married to an American CIA agent like Elaine was, which explains Mutt's last name, "Williams." I about to become as hysterical as Elaine at the drive-in.

Professor E

Is that??

A little alien face on the crystal skull poster? Look at where the bridge of the nose would be...

"Aliens...why did it have to be aliens..."

Adolf Hitler

IrishLuck1980 said:
I've actually accepted the whole alien thing. But giant ants? I can't see that working.
I personal,ly don't see it as silly. Prehistoric ants were very large and if Indy can happen across an immortal knight of the crusades why can't he come across a colony of now extinct ants?

http://www.abc.net.au/beasts/factfiles/factfiles/giant_ants.htm

Mayan, Aztec and other similar ancient cultures have complex astrological beliefs and for years it has been speculated that there were alien influences in their architecture and monuments. So, it follows that is there is an alien connection to the skulls, they may be linked to the creation of man or the creation of ancient civilisation then animals from times past don't seem so out of place.

Adolf Hitler said:
I personal,ly don't see it as silly. Prehistoric ants were very large and if Indy can happen across an immortal knight of the crusades why can't he come across a colony of now extinct ants?

http://www.abc.net.au/beasts/factfiles/factfiles/giant_ants.htm

Mayan, Aztec and other similar ancient cultures have complex astrological beliefs and for years it has been speculated that there were alien influences in their architecture and monuments. So, it follows that is there is an alien connection to the skulls, they may be linked to the creation of man or the creation of ancient civilisation then animals from times past don't seem so out of place.

No. That's a guy named Von Daniken... just studied him... read up on the man. He's no scientist, he's a commercial whore. His "theorizing" is nothing more than sensationalism for profit's sake. His "theories" are a joke.

effin

no one knows what giant ants mean, think giant vampire bats, it will be steeped in pulp realism. they won't be dinosaur ants.:sick:

joelwatts

effin said:
no one knows what giant ants mean, think giant vampire bats, it will be steeped in pulp realism. they won't be dinosaur ants.:sick:

Is there an echo in here? Umm.... have you read the entire thread?

DaveTheHutt

IrishLuck1980 said:
I've actually accepted the whole alien thing. But giant ants? I can't see that working..

joelwatts said:
Frankly, I think giant ants are more "Indy" than aliens.

...And here we see the filmmakers' quandary. What one person believes constitutes an Indiana Jones film is not the same as what someone else believes.

Frankly, no matter what Spielberg & Lucas do, there's going to be a percentage of 'true fans' who are disappointed.

They have no option but to make the film they want to make, and if we choose to join them for the ride then great... If not, well at least they stayed true to their own vision.

Personally, I think both *rumoured* aspects could, if handled well, be perfectly at home in an Indy movie.

Or, at least, my perception of what makes an Indy move... ;)

Adolf Hitler

ResidentAlien said:
No. That's a guy named Von Daniken... just studied him... read up on the man. He's no scientist, he's a commercial whore. His "theorizing" is nothing more than sensationalism for profit's sake. His "theories" are a joke.
Theories of what? Giant ants? There have been fossilised remains found soooo......

Adolf Hitler said:
Theories of what? Giant ants? There have been fossilised remains found soooo......

A little googling would have answered your question.

He MADE UP the aliens in Mayan civilization non-sense. That's not a "theory," it's a marketing ploy.