User Name
Password

Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #451
lairdo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Laird (post #333, March 16, 2011):
Laird, I'm not exactly sure when you stopped working on the show but the CD credits for "Ireland" and "Northern Italy" say that their scores were recorded in Munich, Germany. (Don't mean to contradict you, it's just something worth pointing out!)

Well, I was certainly on those shows. So, I guess I just didn't recall or know that those were done in Munich. Sorry for the misinformation! I wish I could get my hands on the DATs we got the scores on. They would have all that stuff you are interested in.
lairdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #452
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
Hey, you've got write permissions - go ahead and edit the Original Soundtracks page to add details as you see fit.
---
Woooo!
---
AFM is more of a professional organization (similar to a union) than a group for hire, isn't it?
---
Do you know that he had the opportunity to conduct it? Just wondering if Lucasfilm flew everyone overseas for the recording sessions.
---
The "Bell" side of my family does have a musical bent, but nope. (And no relation to the famous violinist either.)
The only permission I have is to edit the spreadsheets of the Cue Lists so I can't add anything to the Original Soundtracks page.

As for Bramson conducting the orchestra, I don't know. That was just an assumption on my part. According to the Vol. 4 CD, Rosenthal conducted in Germany and McNeely in Australia. Both being U.S. citizens, they must have been flown over.

I figured the American Federation of Musicians was only a type of union which is why I used quotation marks when listing them as the performers. It's the only information I could find. From your website:

Ford A. Thaxton (an industry insider) explained in a post on the Film Score Monthly forums that the score for The Curse of the Jackal was recorded in the United States with members of the American Federation of Musicians. To release the score, new licensing fees would need to be payed to the players. In contrast, Thaxton writes: "the scores for the series were recorded in Germany and other places that didn't have any new usage fees." Laird Malamed (former assistant sound editor on YIJC) comments that "...at least in my time on YIJC, no scores were recorded in Germany. Prague was the main location with some done in Australia." Presumably, this explains why the original soundtracks feature music from episodes other than the pilot, and why the music is not utilized in any of the games except where already re-used within the series itself.

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.co...-of-the-jackal

So I'm guessing that the orchestra who recorded, "Curse of the Jackal", didn't really have an actual name and the proper credit would be: Members of the AFM. Yes? No?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdo
Well, I was certainly on those shows. So, I guess I just didn't recall or know that those were done in Munich. Sorry for the misinformation! I wish I could get my hands on the DATs we got the scores on. They would have all that stuff you are interested in.
I wish you could get your hands on those, too! No problem about the misinformation. If your quote wasn't on Tash's website, I wouldn't have bothered bringing attention to it.

Another question for you, Laird. Here's a screengrab from the "Young Indy: Around the World" making-of special. Is this the same soundstage as the recording session you saw at The Ranch? The conductor looks like Laurence Rosenthal. (If it's not him, then it could be Frédéric Talgorn, in Prague possibly, since the other composers are much younger):

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #453
lairdo
IndyFan

Quote:
Another question for you, Laird. Here's a screengrab from the "Young Indy: Around the World" making-of special. Is this the same soundstage as the recording session you saw at The Ranch? The conductor looks like Laurence Rosenthal. (If it's not him, then it could be Frédéric Talgorn, in Prague possibly, since the other composers are much younger):

That looks like Larry Rosenthal to me. It does not, however, appear to be the Skywalker Stage. For one, I do not recall a big white door like that. The room is much more elegant as you would expect from GL. (I can say that as I am sitting in the USC Cinema building and his influence is all over this since he gave the money for it.)

Here's a link to a QuickTime VR file from the Skywalker Sound website:

http://www.skysound.com/qtvr/qtvr_tour_scoring.html

And that is definitely not the same room. I don't think it's changed that much in 20 years.

One think about the players for Curse of the Jackal. They had just recorded an album of Star Wars music, so they might have been the Skywalker Sound Orchestra - or the impetus for it. http://www.allthingsstrings.com/layo...hony-Orchestra

Laird
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #454
lairdo
IndyFan

Quote:
One think about the players for Curse of the Jackal. They had just recorded an album of Star Wars music, so they might have been the Skywalker Sound Orchestra - or the impetus for it. http://www.allthingsstrings.com/layo...hony-Orchestra

Laird

Actually, this link is better. It doesn't try to print out the story:
http://www.allthingsstrings.com/News...hony-Orchestra

It doesn't say they played on Curse, but I bet some of the players did. (In fact, it says they have not been used on GL's movies, but that isn't the same as a TV show.)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #455
lairdo
IndyFan

And here is a link to the album I am referring to. I have the CD and it's pretty good. But haven't listened to it in a while.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Williams-...inding_title_0
Old 10-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #456
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
That looks like Larry Rosenthal to me. It does not, however, appear to be the Skywalker Stage.
Laird, thanks a lot for those links. The article was a great read and it implies that the assembled musicians were, indeed, the 'impetus' for the Skywalker Symphony. That said, I still don't know which names to use for the Volume 0 credits. I must ask, who was conducting when you saw the orchestra for, "Curse of the Jackal"? I'm assuming that it was Rosenthal. Yes?

You're absolutely right, Laird. From your evidence, the clip from the making-of special is/was not the Skywalker Sound studio. If that man is Rosenthal (which I believe he is), then this could possibly be the Arco Studio in Munich. As it turns out, supposedly, Laurence Rosenthal also conducted, "Main Theme", "British East Africa" and "Peking" in Munich (in addition to the aforementioned, "Ireland" & "Northern Italy" scores).

If the CD credits are to be trusted, it appears that MANY of the scores were recorded in Munich. Some conducted by Rosenthal, some by McNeely and some by a man named, Charles Ketcham (who, seemingly, was a substitute for Rosenthal).

Tash & I have updated his website to include some recording information about the Original Soundtracks (The info for Volume 3 hasn't been added yet because of all the lengthy, 1920s credentials. Unfortunately, Vol. 3 doesn't list the recording locations.)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #457
lairdo
IndyFan

Quote:
I must ask, who was conducting when you saw the orchestra for, "Curse of the Jackal"? I'm assuming that it was Rosenthal.

My recollection is that Larry conducted, but I would not really trust that. He was certainly up for the sessions. We all went to the recording booth to listen at one point or another. I think the sessions too 2-3 days. It was a lot of music. We had it edited against picture a few days later.

What we need are the session notes from the Ranch archives. All of that would be on there. One can dream.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #458
Demitasse
IndyFan

A favorite of mine from Mystery of the Blues is "April Showers".

The song was a 1921 hit for Al Jolson (released the year after the episode takes place!) The sound quality is not the best, but here is a better version by Mel Torme. Judy Garland recorded a popular version of it too... Personally I like Mel's the best. Reminds me of Chet Baker a little bit.

Wish they still sang barbershop in fraternity houses!
Demitasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #459
dameain
IndyFan

I was watching YIJC Demons of Deception last night and I liked the Indian Sitar music during the Mata Hari seduction scene. So I ripped the audio and converted it to an MP3. There is a little bit of background noise, but overall its very good quality. Enjoy!

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2zse..._Seduction_mp3

I just made up the title I thought it fit the context of the scene.
dameain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #460
Demitasse
IndyFan

Does anyone know the name of the main opera segment by Puccini that is performed in Perils of Cupid? I heard a great version of it on the radio the other day and wanted to track it down. Is it Madame Butterfly?? Thx!
Demitasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #461
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demitasse
Does anyone know the name of the main opera segment by Puccini that is performed in Perils of Cupid? I heard a great version of it on the radio the other day and wanted to track it down. Is it Madame Butterfly?? Thx!

Soundhound and Shazam didn't find hits. It does sound very familiar though!
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #462
IndyBr
IndyFan

I have v.1 and v.2, yesterday I bought v. 3 and can't wait for it to arrive, since this is the one with the tracks from Mystery of the Blues! There's also the tracks from Scandals, but oddly it does not have "The man I love" . And then there are some tracks from the Princenton episode.

From the oficial releases, I'm now only missing v. 4!
IndyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #463
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameain
I was watching YIJC Demons of Deception last night and I liked the Indian Sitar music during the Mata Hari seduction scene. So I ripped the audio and converted it to an MP3. There is a little bit of background noise, but overall its very good quality. Enjoy!

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2zse..._Seduction_mp3

I just made up the title I thought it fit the context of the scene.
Thanks very much for sharing, Dameain! It's a welcome addition to our collection of unreleased stuff. I love Indian music and this is a good track. Sitar is such a fascinating instrument and playing one is a cathartic experience.

Re. your "Seduction" title: On his website spreadsheet, InexorableTash called this one, "Intoxicating Sex"! (Which title do people prefer? Personally, I like Tash's title.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demitasse
Hi, Halfcup. It's actually, "La Bohème" - a medley of it with 2 segments from the 1st act and one from the final act. (Time to make another home-made medley track like I did with, "Scheherazade"!) Rosenthal incorportated several cues from, "La Bohème", into his compostions for the "Florence" chapter. I'm updating Tash's spreadsheet because this episode hasn't been tackled yet.

That said, a tiny portion of the final act of, "Madame Butterfly", is indeed featured later, during the rehearsal scene (with the Japanese woman & red-haired kid onstage).

---
P.S. I'm back from visiting some World War I sites in France & Belgium. Earlier today, I finally managed to meet up with our fellow, Young Indy Soundtrack enthusiast, Fommes! We had a wonderful time talking about all sorts of things while eating Belgian food & drinking Belgian beers.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #464
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
We had a wonderful time talking about all sorts of things while eating Belgian food & drinking Belgian beers.

There's a Belgian restaurant a half-block from my house specializing in Trappist beers - just saying in case anyone wants to come visit.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #465
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
There's a Belgian restaurant a half-block from my house specializing in Trappist beers - just saying in case anyone wants to come visit.
Cool. Still on the table but I may possibly be moving to San Fran next year.

Anyway, in "Florence/Perils of Cupid", there is more of "Madame Butterfly" later on in the episode (it's not an episode that I watch often). Don't know which act it is but the stage performance is definitely, "Madame Butterfly".

This has been asked already but: Has anyone figured out which piece is being performed by the chamber orchestra in the "Vienna/Perils of Cupid" episode? The part where Corey Carrier is sneaking around trying to get to Sophie's room.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #466
Stoo
IndyFan

P.S. How would Puccini & Miss Seymour know, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", in 1908?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #467
lairdo
IndyFan

Quote:
P.S. How would Puccini & Miss Seymour know, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", in 1908?

Well, it was composed in 1908. Telegraph?

Never heard the original TPM. But I have heard it is great.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #468
InexorableTash
IndyFan

FYI, I've copied Stoo's spreadsheet edits to the youngindianajonesmusic.com cue list. (I'll automate that some day. At least now it's just one copy/paste per page)
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #469
Faleel
IndyFan

Quote:

Uhhhh what?

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 11-17-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Fixed html.
Faleel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #470
lairdo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faleel
Quote:

Uhhhh what?

Sloppiness on my part.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 11-17-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Fixed html.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #471
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, it was composed in 1908. Telegraph?
Ha! Interesting. I was under the impression it was written earlier than that so 1908 makes Miss Seymour's & Puccini's knowledge of it even more dubious!

Maybe Miss Seymour used to hang around Oxord's Phonograph Record Import Emporium to get all the latest Tin Pan Alley ditties from the U.S. and picked up, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", just before leaving on her world tour with the Joneses.
Quote:
FYI, I've copied Stoo's spreadsheet edits to the youngindianajonesmusic.com cue list. (I'll automate that some day. At least now it's just one copy/paste per page)
Tash, while not a 100% complete, I added a whole lot more to the spreadsheet for "Florence" so you can copy it to the Cue List.

As you'll see, Puccini's music from "La Bohème" is all over the episode (possibly more of "Madame Butterfly", too, but I'm not familiar with that yet). This makes it difficult to determine which tracks Rosenthal wrote so there are several blanks in the composer column. Feel free to have a go at filling them in.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #472
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Tash, while not a 100% complete, I added a whole lot more to the spreadsheet for "Florence" so you can copy it to the Cue List.

Done, please sanity check. (It's done via a script + copy/paste so it's pretty robust, but bugs do happen...)
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #473
phantom train
IndyFan

Happy New year, everyone.

I was wondering if there was any new info. regarding a potential YIJC comprehensive soundtrack collection. There was some talk of this on the thread in late 2011, but haven't heard anything since. I'm guessing there is no news regarding this, but I wanted to check just in case.

Unfortunately, it looks like Music CD production in general has been scaled back in recent years.....

Thanks in advance for any info. on this.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #474
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Nothing official, alas. We've made a tiny bit of progress on unofficial track identification and cue lists in the last 12 months, but nothing beyond that.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #475
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Speaking of, a new possible hit - Stoo, listen to the end of the opening bookend for Austria 1917. It sounds a bit like one of the unidentified segments, possibly from LC_Castle_A_Qui ?