New Indy 4 images from Monopoly

Mickiana

G'day Maxphactor23, Look, I'm with ya. I groaned inwardly a bit when I heard there might be aliens in this flick. My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. It's not always easy to get that across in this type. I myself am a real skeptic. I just am not ready to believe there are aliens here, but by the same token, I am not ready to believe the ark had supernatural powers for real. The myth of its powers could be analogy for something else, similar to the garden of eden depiction. The story was never meant to be taken literally. It's a creation myth and I think it's likely that the ark's power was symbolic power. But I'm only guessing - I wasn't there to see it for myself.

MaxPhactor23

Mickiana said:
G'day Maxphactor23, Look, I'm with ya. I groaned inwardly a bit when I heard there might be aliens in this flick. My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. It's not always easy to get that across in this type. I myself am a real skeptic. I just am not ready to believe there are aliens here, but by the same token, I am not ready to believe the ark had supernatural powers for real. The myth of its powers could be analogy for something else, similar to the garden of eden depiction. The story was never meant to be taken literally. It's a creation myth and I think it's likely that the ark's power was symbolic power. But I'm only guessing - I wasn't there to see it for myself.

Well don't take me the wrong way. I'm sorry if I came off aggressively. I certainly didn’t mean to. A huge pet peeve of mine is when ancient astronaut theories are presented as factual or reliable. They’re the equivalent of Bat Boy in the Inquirer. Of course some would argue that, but I’d argue they’ve just been brain washed. Some people will believe anything. I can’t say that I’m an archeologist, that’s my fathers field, but I’ve been associated enough with it to know a scientific perspective on the alien claims - of which most scoff at. I find their opinions much more consistent. Plus, I’m a paleontology student. That’s not to say I’m an expert in the field of Archeology, but the fields have more then a few elements in common.

I know what you mean between myth and fact. It’s kind of funny to argue about a factual myth, because really that’s just a real belief that something could possible be real, not that it actually is. I can’t say I’m a devoted Christian, my exposure to Sunday school was…limited. At that time I tended to pay more attention to the girls then the lesson. Heh. By all rights I’d classify myself as agnostic, and I’m with you, I also believe that people take the Bible far too literally. But I also believe more in divine power then I’ll ever believe in historic human-extraterrestrial contact or influence. There isn’t evidence to prove those fantastical elements of the Bible, but there is enough evidence to support a possible belief in it, especially in comparison to ancient astronaut theories, to which there is little to no evidence whatsoever. I don’t know what the probability that the Ark literally shot godly electricity from it’s body is, but I like the fact that you’re left to wonder about just how realistic it actually is and that one could go either way. After all, you never know. ;)

Last edited:

Sankara

Let's hope they don't use "it is not the mileage, honey, it is the years" in the finalyy movie. It's to lame. And let's pray that Hurt is not Abner and that Mutt is not Indy's son... :D

God'sRadio

To be fair to the fridge scene

He drags the fridge into a concrete trench and I imagine it must be a low yield weapon, only some KT. His problem would not be blast or heat, it would be fallout. In the SM script, he gets scrubbed clean after at the base. Not sure if that will happen here.

He won't escape on the sled - doesn't go far enough, doesn't go fast enough, is on rails and why would it be in the middle of a bomb site anyway.

Mickiana

You know, I can't wait to see it. All this speculation is tormenting me. There's aliens in the amazon, Indy's in the fridge, Calista's in the dressing room, George is in the jungle, Steve is on the set, Mutt is on the motorbike. What's next?!!!

Dr.Sartorius

This thread is more hilarious than the "Indy's doesn't have gun in KOTCS?" thread.

We have a character named "MUTT" in the new movie and some of you are actually surprised and disappointed when we get this other obvious reference to Raiders?

Here's some advice: pretend like this movie's not happening and go see Chronicles of Narnia instead.

Last edited:

1ord3vil

MaxPhactor23 said:
If the Star Wars prequels had turned out better, then perhaps I?d have had faith.
I found the Star Wars prequels to be awkward and dull movies. They just didn't entertain me, so I have no plans to watch them again.

To digress a little, I'm reminded by the ID4-hype back in the day. Everyone went ooh and aah about that movie, raving about "The biggest thing since Star Wars!". I saw the movie once, went "Huh, was that it?", and haven't ever bothered to see it again. Indeed, it's impact was eventually rather insignificant. There was no lasting imprint to speak of. It was just hype.

At one point a few years ago, I was actually starting to fear that I had suffered the sad fate of growing old and grumpy at an early age, unable to be entertained by anything anymore. I decided to try to do something about it and went on a search for new sources of entertainment. To my delight, I've found several excellent books, TV-series and even comics since then which have all made me feel that tickling, childish excitement I missed once again.

With movies, it remains much the same though: Overall, they don't entertain me nearly as much as they used to, although there have been some exceptions.

Dr.Sartorius said:
We have a character named "MUTT" in the new movie and some of you are actually surprised and disappointed when we get this other obvious reference to Raiders?

Surprised? I don't think any of us are surprised at this point. But disappointed? Absolutely. Seems like they're taking the Last Crusade route all over again... Originality, dammit, not rehash. :(

MaxPhactor23

1ord3vil said:
I found the Star Wars prequels to be awkward and dull movies. They just didn't entertain me, so I have no plans to watch them again.

I?ve always been a major criticizer of the Prequel Trilogy. Heck, most people I know are. I can?t tell you how many inside jokes I?ve gotten from their craptastic dialogue scenes. If I had a dime for every time my friends and I make fun of Hayden ?today?s worst working actor? Christenson?I?d be rivaling Bill Gates. George Lucas needs to realize that a film can?t be carried by special effects alone.

But I?m not one that cries that Lucas raped my childhood. They?re not altogether worthless, though unfortunately they?re mostly worthless to me. I wouldn?t say they?re entirely abysmal, but huge disappointments? Absolutely.

In my opinion, about the only real upstanding modern film franchise would be the Lord of the Rings. Everything else has left me under impressed and I?m so tired of directors unoriginally reviving their long dead series. Isn?t it about time we come up with some new ideas?

The Man

ResidentAlien said:
Surprised? I don't think any of us are surprised at this point. But disappointed? Absolutely. Seems like they're taking the Last Crusade route all over again... Originality, dammit, not rehash. :(

Crusade? Damn, I thought that was better.;)

1ord3vil

ResidentAlien said:
In this era of bad movies, this is unfortunately what I've expected all along. It's most likely that this is just going to be a very forgettable blockbuster and that even most of the broad fanbase is only going to see it just once. That's what the movie industry has become all about: A mass marketing industry to insure instant profit to redeem the initial investment.

Story and entertainment value are only important to studios in so far as they help to increase profit, which they of course do. The problem is that the best stories involve a significant amount of innovation and original thinking to make them really stand out. You need to be creative, and that's risky business, since sifting through all the new and untested ideas by trial and error, discarding those that don't work by merit to eventually be left with good ones, is a process that inherently involves a significant amount of failure.

This in turn, is why you don't see much creativity in the contemporary movie industy. The stories tend to follow a tried and tested template that works well enough to sell the required amount of tickets. This is not to say that there is no creativity in the movie industry anymore at all, because there is. To sustain the interest of the audiences over a longer period of time, there has to be some sort of renewal of the marketed product. But the process by which this happens today is exceedingly slow and extremely incremental, so as to make sure that no one investment is too risky. As a result, you can watch a couple of movies every year and still be more or less up to date on the developments of the art in the business.

I'm sure Indy 4 is going to reap a healthy profit, but I don't really expect it to entertain me as much I'd like. Sometimes there are exceptions to the rule though. Indy 4 might just be one of those exceptions and turn out to be the manna from heaven we're all wishing for, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Man

ResidentAlien said:
I hate Last Crusade.

I love it overall, but it's action sequences - bar the tank rumble - are pedestrian and the Phoenix opener is the weakest of the three. But, I do love it.

nitzsche

This all looks awesome to me. I expected the line and I expected elements from the older Indy scripts.

The thing that really makes me happy though is that I am still excited for the movie -- even more so. And I'm not the type of guy to get concerned for fellow fans who are disappointed. I'm not the guy to try and force you to like it. To be frank, it makes me a bit happier knowing some of you are not going to like this movie.

It's truly fascinating how it's usually a self-fulfilling prophecy when it comes to this type of thing. Have doubts about Indy 4? Think you're going to hate it? Don't worry, you will.

The spoiler game is like Russian roulette. The guy that looks the most worried is usually the guy who gets the bullet in the end, or who decides to quit and run away.

So, like Indy, I am laughing at all of you fearful little soldiers as you get knocked off the back of the Indy 4 truck, rolling off to the side of the road battered and bruised. And as you slowly rise from the ditch you shake your fist in a cloud of dust shouting "you raped my childhood!"

I just grin and chuckle that, one by one, people are getting burned by things they don't want in Indy 4 while I remain giddy as a schoolboy.

:D

Darth Vile

I?m always sceptical of those who praise The Lord of the Rings movies (truly the dullest set of movies over the last 20 years), whilst aiming redundant pot shots at the Star Wars prequels, which can be aimed equally at the original movies too. The last group of people I?d take seriously as a sound judge of what constitutes good movie making would be those who frequent forums such as this (including myself). Indeed, I'd trust my 70 year old mother or my 12 year old niece's opinion over an AICN poster any day of the week.

Seriously though, if you can buy into the Ark laying waste to Nazi hordes, hearts being plucked from living victims and drinking from the cup of eternal life, I think it shows rather a small mind not to be open to the premise of aliens, the Loch Ness monster or the bloody tooth fairy in an Indiana Jones movie?

1ord3vil

MaxPhactor23 said:
I can’t tell you how many inside jokes I’ve gotten from their craptastic dialogue scenes.
This, more than anything else, shows what the original movies are, which the prequels are not. The original movies became a cultural phenomenon and lines from them have been quoted in praise by people from all parts of society for decades. It's only a few days ago that I read a political commentator quoting a line from the first Star Wars movie in a context which had nothing to do with movies whatsoever.

But I’m not one that cries that Lucas raped my childhood.
I tend to agree. Whenever I see a movie I don't like, I just forget about it really quickly. It's the same with Indy 4. If it turns out to suck, I'll be the first one to move on to better things. Personally, I think all this buzz and fuzz leading up to May 22 is ultimately going to be more entertaining than the movie itself. :)

The Man

Darth Vile said:
I?m always sceptical of those who praise The Lord of the Rings movies (truly the dullest set of movies over the last 20 years), whilst aiming redundant pot shots at the Star Wars prequels, which can be aimed equally at the original movies too. The last group of people I?d take seriously as a sound judge of what constitutes good movie making would be those who frequent forums such as this (including myself). Indeed, I'd trust my 70 year old mother or my 12 year old niece's opinion over an AICN poster any day of the week.

Seriously though, if you can buy into the Ark laying waste to Nazi hordes, hearts being plucked from living victims and drinking from the cup of eternal life, I think it shows rather a small mind not to be open to the premise of aliens, the Loch Ness monster or the bloody tooth fairy in an Indiana Jones movie?

Yes, it's tough to judge these possibilities on paper. I give 4 my full anticipation, be it hope, naivity, whatever. But if cinema's greatest hero hides in a f**king fridge, you won't see the screen for all the flying vomit. DEATH TO THE SAUCERMEN!

1ord3vil

nitzsche said:
The guy that looks the most worried is usually the guy who gets the bullet in the end
Actually, there's no correlation between the two.
I just grin and chuckle that, one by one, people are getting burned by things they don't want in Indy 4
Feasting on the misery of others isn't my kind of entertainment though. I'm more or less fine with all the details we've got to know thus far. At this point, it's the execution that will decide whether this will be a memorable piece of art or just another movie. I suspect one thing, expect another and I hope for something else. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

Darth Vile

1ord3vil,

I agree with your last comment about the detail we've got so far. Everything indicates that this is more or less the usual mix of Indiana Jones action and adventure. If it's executed well, then there is no reason to believe that this won't be up there with the first 3.

TheMan,

I've avoided the Saucer Men script but understand the Doom Town/Fridge scenario. What I don't get is how hiding in a fridge to avoid certain death (whilst sounding impossible), is any less credible than riding a U-Boat to a Nazi outpost or jumping out of a plane on a life raft. At least the movies will be consistent.