Is the Indiana Jones Franchise dead?

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I don't know what you said at the end there, but I remember the heady days of TOD, and they were good!
Of course they were good. While the Internet existed already, the handful of campus nerds and military gearheads who converged there probably had better things to waste energy on than loads and loads of fan rage.

The regular folk could do nothing but natter about its crappiness over the fence with the guy next door. And if the one living across the street by some odd chance happened to like it, that's where your world ended and the rest began.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Of course they were good. While the Internet existed already, the handful of campus nerds and military gearheads who converged there probably had better things to waste energy on than loads and loads of fan rage.

The regular folk could do nothing but natter about its crappiness over the fence with the guy next door. And if the one living across the street by some odd chance happened to like it, that's where your world ended and the rest began.

I just base it all on my own experience. In 1984 Indy was the height of cool.

He was drinking blood from a skull.

In 2008 he was taking orders from one.

Some things just shouldn't be returned to, especially when their creators have changed so much with the passing of the years.

It was fine and dandy when he rode off into the sunset in 1989.

He didn't die, but nineteen years later he was as good as resurrected from deep retirement only to be mishandled in manners unbefitting.

He's still not dead. He won't be allowed to die while Lucas can still find ways of wringing money out of him. And then he'll pass into other hands for them to wring more money in new ways.

Yet, the Indy who inhabited a hip world did metaphorically die in 1989.

Everything else is fluff which you can take or leave.

Montana Smith

Finn said:

You mean Young Indiana Jones (and the old one-eyed one) which ended in 1993?

That counts as part of the fluff. Good fluff nevertheless, but still fluff. It wasn't Harrison in the 1930s, but someone else playing the role for a different purpose.

The correlation between SPF, George Hall and Harrison Ford was just cursory. Pretty much Lucas name-dropping to sell a series. It didn't have the same inspiration as the films, but Lucas used him all the same, keeping something alive for the small screen.

(Like sweet little Annie would one day become the big bad Vader of legend, the connection is slight).

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Sadly I never got the chance to play FoA

He rode off into the sunset in Fate of Atlantis as well?

It came up in a '1992' search, but never having played it I didn't get Finn's reference.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
With no new movie seemingly in the works (outside of idle chatter here and there), no new book or comic projects, no new game on the horizon, no TV show, no animated series, nada, I just have to say it feels very bleak to be an IJ fan. I mean even during the wait for KOTCS, you had the YIJC from '92 to '96, the Bantam and other novels throughout the 90s, the comics, the various video games---Even if there wasn't an Indy movie on the big screen, it seems at any point there was at least SOMETHING going on in the world of Dr. Jones. It just seems like the franchise is dead. I mean compare IJ to the Star Wars franchise. That's dead as a movie series but has an animated cartoon series, books coming out often, video games of all sorts, etc etc. It's still very much alive as a franchise. Why can't Indy be given the same level of care or investment?
While I would hesitate to use the word, "dead", it does seem like Indy is going to be in for a lo-o-ong period of hibernation. Thanks, Disney.(n)
JuniorJones said:
disney.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
While I would hesitate to use the word, "dead", it does seem like Indy is going to be in for a lo-o-ong period of hibernation. Thanks, Disney.(n)

He's perfectly preserved, but in need of rescue.

Han-Solo-Frozen-In-Carbonite-Blanket_1.jpg