What characterization of Indy is your favorite?

Raiders90

Which characterization do you prefer of Indy?:

The 'will sell precious artifacts to the highest bidder', is concerned only with 'fortune and glory' Indy of Temple of Doom, who is a full anti-hero until the end?

Quasi-government agent Indy, who is a bit of an anti-hero, but sells his artifacts to museums rather than to gangsters?

'It belongs in a museum!' Good guy Indy of Last Crusade, YIJC, and KOTCS?

The Lone Raider

Raiders112390 said:
Which characterization do you prefer of Indy?:

The 'will sell precious artifacts to the highest bidder', is concerned only with 'fortune and glory' Indy of Temple of Doom, who is a full anti-hero until the end?

Quasi-government agent Indy, who is a bit of an anti-hero, but sells his artifacts to museums rather than to gangsters?

'It belongs in a museum!' Good guy Indy of Last Crusade, YIJC, and KOTCS?
For me, Indy was the most interesting in Raiders and in Crystal Skull.
In Raiders, he was shady and mysterious, yet all the while a guy with good intentions on the inside.
In Crystal Skull, you got to see something a little more unique than you'd see in most movies, where a full on action hero has aged but still has the edge. The adventurer has seen many things throughout his fifty-eight years of life and has learned numerous lessons from each experience. Your childhood hero has rounded out and added the application of wisdom to his arsenal of skills and talents.

Mickiana

The Indy of Raiders and ToD is the most interesting. He is amoral and selfishly ambitious in Raiders and much of ToD. This is much more engaging to me than any do-gooder heroic role.

Drones33

Raider`s Indy for me. In it he has a rather ruthless edge I think, moving through the adventure pretty much as a loner, encountering different characters along the way. As the films progressed it became much more a "Team Indy" kind of thing. Particularly in Last Crusade.

The Lone Raider

Drones33 said:
Raider`s Indy for me. In it he has a rather ruthless edge I think, moving through the adventure pretty much as a loner, encountering different characters along the way. As the films progressed it became much more a "Team Indy" kind of thing. Particularly in Last Crusade.
While I would much rather see Indy being a lone wolf again in the fifth movie, it probably won't happen, since it would no longer be believable that at his age he could still do all of those stunts without the help of others. Indiana Jones 5 will probably have another Team Indy. I'm okay with that, if they make it work, but I prefer the loner Indy. Makes him much more mysterious.

NightWalker81

I think "The Last Crusade" Indy is may favorite. I find him more bright, more funny and more interesting as character. He grows up along the movie, because he learn things about himself and about his relation with his father. I think Harrison is brilliant in that movie, he is a truly inspiring hero.;)

The Lone Raider

It just goes to show you how great of an actor Harrison Ford is, being able to give his character a different feel throughout the progression of the franchise. In chronological order, Indy starts out as a ruthless, selfish, and wayward archaeologist who doesn't believe in the supernatural in Temple of Doom. Then in Raiders of the Lost Ark, he remains shady, but a little more morally straight, and in the end his perception of the supernatural shifts. Because of that shift, in The Last Crusade, Indy takes on more of a classic hero role as he begins to believe in the Power of God. By the time Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came around, Indy's outlook on the world has vastly changed, and he pretty much completely believes in the paranormal. Indy has become more whole and wise. Though his archaeological methods remain unconventional, his intentions and motives are a little different.

This has me really excited for how Indy is going to be in the next movie.

Stoo

The Lone Raider said:
It just goes to show you how great of an actor Harrison Ford is, being able to give his character a different feel throughout the progression of the franchise. In chronological order, Indy starts out as a ruthless, selfish, and wayward archaeologist who doesn't believe in the supernatural in Temple of Doom. Then in Raiders of the Lost Ark, he remains shady, but a little more morally straight, and in the end his perception of the supernatural shifts. Because of that shift, in The Last Crusade, Indy takes on more of a classic hero role as he begins to believe in the Power of God.
Hi, Lone Raider. Welcome to The Raven.

The 4 movies aren?t 'the franchise' so, chronologically, Indy starts out its progression as a newborn baby. ;)

Whatever 'different feel' you may perceive isn?t due to Ford?s 'great' acting, it?s due to the lines of dialogue. Harrison pretty much plays the role the same way every time (except some scenes with his dad in ?Crusade? & 2 really stupid parts in ?Skull?). Many fans often exaggerate the difference in Indy?s character from film-to-film.

Indy is actually more ruthless In ?Raiders? than he is in ?Doom?. For example, he doesn?t warn the German Mechanic about the propellor but he does try to save the Thug chief from the rock crusher. Would a ruthless, selfish, less morally straight guy care about the life of an enemy who?s trying to beat him to death? He's more soft-hearted in 1935 whereas he fights dirty in 1936.

Another thing that some people put way too much emphasis on is the ?It belongs in a museum!? line from ?Crusade?, as if it?s a sure sign that Indy is a changed man - from hard-boiled-mercenary to goodie-two-shoes. They?re forgetting (or conveniently ignoring) that he already has this trait in ?Raiders?. As soon as Indy learns he?s been hired to look for the Ark, the very first thing he asks is if the museum is going to get the prize. When the museum doesn?t get it at the end, Indy is pissed off, even though he got paid for the job. That?s not exactly the way a true mercenary-type would react.
The Lone Raider said:
By the time Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came around, Indy's outlook on the world has vastly changed, and he pretty much completely believes in the paranormal.
How do you figure that? I totally disagree. In the diner scene, Indy doesn?t believe the British Museum?s crystal skull has any supernatural abilities and he tells Mutt that the power is ?just a story?. This doesn?t seem like someone who 'completely believes in the paranormal'.
The Lone Raider said:
Indy has become more whole and wise. Though his archaeological methods remain unconventional, his intentions and motives are a little different.
:confused:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Another thing that some people put way too much emphasis on is the ?It belongs in a museum!? line from ?Crusade?, as if it?s a sure sign that Indy is a changed man - from hard-boiled-mercenary to goodie-two-shoes. They?re forgetting (or conveniently ignoring) that he already has this trait in ?Raiders?. As soon as Indy learns he?s been hired to look for the Ark, the very first thing he asks is if the museum is going to get the prize. When the museum doesn?t get it at the end, Indy is pissed off, even though he got paid for the job. That?s not exactly the way a true mercenary-type would react.

I largely agree with your above post, Stoo, but I would add something to this point. Indy's interest in the museum getting the Ark at the beginning of Raiders has an element of interest in his professional reputation that I don't think we see in Last Crusade. That said, even though it's a prize, it's one they can learn a lot from, an iconic item carrying a lot of history, representing "everything [they] got into archaeology for in the first place."

By the end of the film, the suggestion is that Indy's concern for his reputation has dissipated, to be replaced by A) the already existing interest in researching the Ark coming to the fore and B) concern about the forces of the Ark being in unknowing government hands.

The Lone Raider

Stoo said:
Hi, Lone Raider. Welcome to The Raven.

The 4 movies aren?t 'the franchise' so, chronologically, Indy starts out its progression as a newborn baby. ;)

Whatever 'different feel' you may perceive isn?t due to Ford?s 'great' acting, it?s due to the lines of dialogue. Harrison pretty much plays the role the same way every time (except some scenes with his dad in ?Crusade? & 2 really stupid parts in ?Skull?). Many fans often exaggerate the difference in Indy?s character from film-to-film.

Indy is actually more ruthless In ?Raiders? than he is in ?Doom?. For example, he doesn?t warn the German Mechanic about the propellor but he does try to save the Thug chief from the rock crusher. Would a ruthless, selfish, less morally straight guy care about the life of an enemy who?s trying to beat him to death? He's more soft-hearted in 1935 whereas he fights dirty in 1936.

How do you figure that? I totally disagree. In the diner scene, Indy doesn?t believe the British Museum?s crystal skull has any supernatural abilities and he tells Mutt that the power is ?just a story?. This doesn?t seem like someone who 'completely believes in the paranormal'.
:confused:
Thanks for the welcome, man.

I had your argument in mind when I wrote that, but I realized I definitely exaggerated a lot of what I had to say, now that I've reread it multiple times. If I could edit a few things, I would.
We all have different perceptions of him, I guess. I think that the whole thing is subjective. I personally notice a difference in Indy's character between Raiders and Crusade as a whole, rather than just the "it belongs in a museum" line. But if you don't notice any differences in the character throughout the movie franchise - not the franchise as a whole, thanks for the correction - then that's all fine and good. Like I said, it's more of a subjective opinion rather than an objective fact.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
I largely agree with your above post, Stoo, but I would add something to this point. Indy's interest in the museum getting the Ark at the beginning of Raiders has an element of interest in his professional reputation that I don't think we see in Last Crusade. That said, even though it's a prize, it's one they can learn a lot from, an iconic item carrying a lot of history, representing "everything [they] got into archaeology for in the first place."

By the end of the film, the suggestion is that Indy's concern for his reputation has dissipated, to be replaced by A) the already existing interest in researching the Ark coming to the fore and B) concern about the forces of the Ark being in unknowing government hands.
Truth be told, I've never noticed any desire for personal gain in Indy's pursuit of the Ark. Now that you've injected this aspect into it, I'm looking from another angle and, must say, there is a certain twinkle in his eye (in his house with Marcus) that alludes to your theory. It fits with what you're suggesting and I can see how you've arrived at such a conclusion. I've always attributed it to something else but your suggestion does have some merit.
The Lone Raider said:
Thanks for the welcome, man.

I had your argument in mind when I wrote that, but I realized I definitely exaggerated a lot of what I had to say, now that I've reread it multiple times. If I could edit a few things, I would.
We all have different perceptions of him, I guess. I think that the whole thing is subjective. I personally notice a difference in Indy's character between Raiders and Crusade as a whole, rather than just the "it belongs in a museum" line. But if you don't notice any differences in the character throughout the movie franchise - not the franchise as a whole, thanks for the correction - then that's all fine and good. Like I said, it's more of a subjective opinion rather than an objective fact.
You're welcome for the welcome. You seem to be pretty cool. :cool:

True, that Indy's character is subjective and a matter of OPINION so I'm curious to hear what other differences you've gleaned between "Raiders" & "Crusade" that aren't related to the 'museum' line.

However, there is no Indiana Jones Movie Franchise...and that's a FACT, Jack!:whip:

P.S. There's a time limit to edit your posts which, I *think* is about 30 minutes.

The Lone Raider

Stoo said:
Truth be told, I've never noticed any desire for personal gain in Indy's pursuit of the Ark. Now that you've injected this aspect into it, I'm looking from another angle and, must say, there is a certain twinkle in his eye (in his house with Marcus) that alludes to your theory. It fits with what you're suggesting and I can see how you've arrived at such a conclusion. I've always attributed it to something else but your suggestion does have some merit.
You're welcome for the welcome. You seem to be pretty cool. :cool:

True, that Indy's character is subjective and a matter of OPINION so I'm curious to hear what other differences you've gleaned between "Raiders" & "Crusade" that aren't related to the 'museum' line.

However, there is no Indiana Jones Movie Franchise...and that's a FACT, Jack!:whip:

P.S. There's a time limit to edit your posts which, I *think* is about 30 minutes.
I'm aware of the time limit. I didn't reread the post until a day or so later.

Anyways, since you're actually right about the franchise thing - the misuse of the term sneaking into our colloquial English - out of curiosity, what do you wish for it to be referred to as?

Stoo

The Lone Raider said:
Anyways, since you're actually right about the franchise thing - the misuse of the term sneaking into our colloquial English - out of curiosity, what do you wish for it to be referred to as?
The films, the movies, the series...y'know, the proper words.:)

My favourite characterization is wrinkly, old geezer Indy, especially the episode where he talks about getting rescued by firemen out of a tree he climbed to get his cat. Now, THAT'S Indy! :p

IndyWhipCracker

I like the Indy of the Bantam novels mainly because I relate to him so much more. In the Bantam novels, Indy is less experienced and less confident and I relate to his being naïve a little more. I'm 21 so it's nice to see an Indy closer to my age who deals with the same problems I do, unlike Raiders where Indy is grown and fully confident in his abilities. :whip: