best theme songs

indydude

my favorite theme songs to movies are the Raiders march (ofcourse) the Star Wars theme and the Bond theme. what are your top 3 songs to movies?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I think this might be in the wrong table...mods?

But anyway, good topic. I love movie music, it's mostly what I listen to. Ennio Morricone is a great, great film composer, and immediately recognizable. My particular favorite of his is The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly theme.

Nino Rota's Godfather theme was great, even if he took it from another of his films.

Bernard Herrmann, the guy who did many Hitchcock films is wonderful, and I particularly love his work on North by Northwest, which has a great theme.

John Williams's score for Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the truly great film scores, and I mean that.

Some other standouts are Back to the Future, Citizen Kane, How the West Was Won, Lawrence of Arabia...hard to think of them, really.

indydude

you are correct, those are all great theme songs, I was thinking of action movies but why don't we just talk about them all. I have alot more good ones but I am alittle to occupied to post them all right now.

Oh, come on, just three??? Oh, I couldn't choose. High up there are definitely the Raiders March, Star Wars, and Superman. For a more varied and !WARNING!DETAILED! approach, here's some of my favorites:

Back to the Future (Alan Silvestri): Very exciting, action packed theme that is both fun and shows the intensity and adventure of the movies.
The Rocketeer (James Horner): A couple of main themes. The main theme, heard in the opening titles sequence for the movie, is a softer, but heroic theme that is performed wonderfully in the movie. Then there is the secondary theme, that appears more in the adventures of Cliff when he's using the rocket. A very good, and faster, theme than the main theme.
Hook (John Williams): Though this score is extremely thematically rich, my favorite, being a softie for fun and adventurous themes and scores, is the Flying theme. It is heard in the "Prologue" track on the soundtrack or the theatrical trailer, and later performed full blast at the end of the Remembering Childhood scene. A really fun, swashbuckling theme with lots of re-hummability! ;)
Jurassic Park(John Williams): Both of the main themes, Journey to the Island and Welcome to Jurassic Park (as I dub them according to their primary scenes. Yeah, they're both the same track, but you know...) are terrific themes, as is generally expected with John Williams. JttI is a grand, sweeping theme, and WtJP is a slightly calmer, sweeter theme. Both are a great listens.

Yeah, I know, it's detailed and all, and I probably shouldn't have done all that, but I already took the time to type it out, I'm not erasing it!

raider84

I relly think John Williams Dose a great jop at all soundtrack. But I think Starwars soundtrack's put's eneything to shame:D

NileQT87

blues brothers (everybody needs somebody to love!)
ghostbusters (the 50s sounding one and who ya gonna call!?)
star wars (jw strikes back)
indiana jones (raiders!)
back to the future (pretty snazzy)
beetlejuice (day-o and shake shake senora)

swords

NileQT87-Solo_Baggins said:

beetlejuice (day-o and shake shake senora)

Harry Belafonte is a great musician, I have his best hits album including Day-O and Jump in the Line. They sound great in Beetlejuice, and the dance possession scene while Day O's playing is very good, I agree. Hey, Isn't this on the wrong table?

Sweetheart, Angelina, Matilda, and Man Smart(but the woman is, smartah!) are also worth listening too for some great Belafonte.

Hey, don't get me wrong folks, I dig modern music, its just a little fetish I have on the side.;)

J

Jedi Daniel

Anything by John Williams except Harry Potter but Star Wars theme music is always my favourite.