New Irish Bog Find

So much for 'clearing the air' eh IndyJohan.... Now I see what your word is worth.... Fair enough....

-I- for one cannot wait to see what's inside this book.... ANY text from 800-1000 has a LOT to say about the people who wrote it.... It might even give us a clue as to why they hid it....

Scary thought.... I HOPE it's not a hoax/fake!!!

I'd like to take a moment, to hear the Irish thank the Vikings for invading, and giving them a reason to HIDE all this stuff in the ground! LOL

Gustav

That's such an amazing dicovery, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it turns out to be a hoax. But I would think it's past that stage if Trinity College has gotten ahold of it and is convinced it's genuine. I'll be looking forward to finding out what the book says and what other things they find in that bog.

We can also thank the Vikings for inspiring the construction of thousands of round towers that still stand and also the destruction of a lot of books similar to the one in this article.

Vikings, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

The Vikings weren't all that big on burning books... They knew they were worth a LOT of silver to certain people.....

It was the X-tian monks, seeing those "Dark sails.... on the horizon... set under a black cloud.... that hides the sun" who tossed reams and reams of literature onto the fires.... to "Save them from the heathen"... no... really... thanks a lot.

Thankfully, it appears someone had a better idea in this case.

ClintonHammond said:
I'd like to take a moment, to hear the Irish thank the Vikings for invading, and giving them a reason to HIDE all this stuff in the ground! LOL

No reason to hide it, it was probably lost. Bogs are very good for keeping items safe, and the person who found it knew what to do with it which is good.

Gustav

Irish mud is what they call their coffee over there. It's some good stuff.

I thought it was interesting what page the book was open to when found. If I were a religious person I would probably think it was an omen.

Joe Brody

Gustav said:
I thought it was interesting what page the book was open to when found. If I were a religious person I would probably think it was an omen.

That coupled with the photo puts me in the 'it's-a-fake' camp. But all the legit news services are carrying it. . .

Moedred said:
Is Irish mud free from worms, gophers, bugs, oxidation, etc?

It is yes, or at least for the most part. Pete is a type of coal, something around 5% coal I think. It's used to heat homes and such in Ireland. They've found all sorts of interesting items in the bogs, I believe they've even found food that is very old.

Joe Brody

Edward The Head said:
It is yes, or at least for the most part. Pete is a type of coal, something around 5% coal I think. It's used to heat homes and such in Ireland. They've found all sorts of interesting items in the bogs, I believe they've even found food that is very old.

I'm pretty sure it's all free of snakes.

I love seeing the stuff blocked and stacked along the roads.

Johan

ClintonHammond said:
So much for 'clearing the air' eh IndyJohan.... Now I see what your word is worth.... Fair enough....

No offence intended CH. Forgive me for my online sarcastic remarks (which don't look sarcastic because they are online.)

Indy Parise

ClintonHammond said:
I'll do it. I would like to thank the vikings for above stated comments and for drivingus Irish to drink, which we do now very well *Hic-up*:sick:

You're welcome... ,-)

"The true meaning of what the text reveals, they say, has been quite literally lost in translation"
Well, that's not a shock at all is it....

roundshort

Ahh the poor Irish . . .At least they are getting a bit of an economy now. Half of my family is Irish, so I get to hear their highs (both of them) and most of their downs (I lost count after 100,000)

ah the troubles . . .

Indy Parise

The funniest thing I'd EVER seen was when I was with my uncle, who just happens to be Irish. We were at a bar after eating dinner and he'd had enough alcohol to equivalent of "SLAMMED" to most people. A cop at the bar decided to have some fun and give him a field sobreity test in the middle of the bar. My uncle passed with flying colors. Let it never be said that the Irish can't hold their liquor.;)