Pre-History and God

fortuneandglory

Clinton, again, read more carefully and you will see that I merely said that I dont care that the Bible cannot be proven. I do care when people call the bible "disgusting" and "false". It pisses me off, and rightly so. The fact that you dont believe in god doesn't bother me a bit, but the "inflammatory" comments I made are in response to inflammatory comments you made.

Lets just call a friggin truce, cause I'm tired of being pissed.

fortuneandglory

In any case, i've just decided to re-rail this post into a non - argument. Death and disease was not introduced into the world until the fall of man....
I was under the impression that death and disease of "man" was introduced... in any case, I was merely presenting a theory of something that couldn't be proven, not trying to start a riot. The fact is nothing can truly be proven. Anything can be refuted with the right evidence. We thought once things fell because they were heavier then air. Then we were introduced to gravity. Then relativity. Then quantum physics. Then line theory.

What will we learn tomorrow? I'm not sure. But this is not a post about whether you believe in god or not, its about an idea I had when thinking about my own faith. I don't have all the answers, thats the thing about science. I love science, and I love God. Science has never challenged my faith, nor will it ever. Yes, truth is subjective. Yes, facts are nice. Facts change, truth stays the same. And yes, I most definitely interpret my world and the science around me when need be. Most Science fits with my faith. However, it cant be said that people of other faiths and no faith are more objective than I am. Everyone interprets facts to what they do or do not belive.

Gustav

Do you KNOW that people KNEW the earth was the center of the universe? Just kidding.

Atheist here. I beleive in science and evolution because there is just so much concrete evidence; and sometimes when I wonder about something like why are there still monkeys, I can just think about it for a little while and apply scientific reasoning and come up with a perfectly reasonable answer. Whereas in religion I would have to go up to a holy man and ask him what happened or read a book written by one or ask my religious parents and then just believe whatever they told me. By the way, is that really faith?

Johan

Why do people keep bringing up these typs of posts that turn into the exact same conversation every time. Instead of arguing with CH you could just go back and look at any "faith based" post and see where he stands.

fortuneandglory

Good gosh, read my last post. I'm trying to rerail this. This is not a debate on the existence of god. And it is littered with "in my opinion". Please dont post if you are trying to convince others of the non-existence of god. Just make your own thread, have no fear, i'll stay far away. Please respect what this post was supposed to be about.:(

Last edited:

fortuneandglory

Oh, and by the way, I have nothing against you Clinton. When I read posts calling the bible disgusting, I get a little heated. But lets face it, we're both Indyfans. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Neither of us is getting anywhere arguing like this, because we're all grown adults, and we all will believe what we want to. Posting our personal opinions, no matter how supported by science they are, will get us nowhere.

So, what do you say? Truce? (and dont say there was one already. I am suggesting we both stay away from meaningful posts involving each other... LOL)

Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
Not truth... fact.... If it's truth you want, Dr Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall.....

I agree, classic.

"When I read posts calling the bible disgusting, I get a little heated."

I take no responsibility for your emotions.... Nor am I likely to ever change my opinion of Organized Religion. It is nothing more than a tool of old fat men, to have power over others. It is a method of social mind control, and I reject it at every turn.

Especially when it tries to tell me things that are blatant falsities.

"because we're all grown adults"
Are we? I guess that remains to be seen eh...

Have you even looked at the link above, "TRANSLATION ERRORS AND FORGERIES* IN THE BIBLE"?

fortuneandglory

What the hell is wrong with you? Someone cant even make a truce with you without you still trying to make your point! Again, stop trying to make my thread into an anti god rant! I'm sick of hearing it! I know what your damn opinion is, and you know mine! Nether of us is getting anywhere trying to "convince" each other of anything, so just shut the hell up about it. I know what you are getting at, and I simply don't agree. Get It?

fortuneandglory

Oh, I get it, I'm not an adult because I refuse to agree with you? Because I am sick and tired of hearing the SAME DAMN THING every time you post on this thread? It seems to me the real child is the one who keeps on saying the same thing till someone listens to them, or hits them in the face.

If having a different opinion than you, admitting that, and not wishing you to turn my thread into something it's not makes me immature, then by God i'm two years old, because it's all true.

"I'm not an adult because I refuse to agree with you?"

It probably has more to do with the way you fly off the handle, even to the (empty) point of threatening violence, when presented with people and facts that seem to refute your 'beliefs'.... Might I suggest, you may want to try to curb that impulse if you really want archaeology to be your vocation.

To quote The Man himself, "We cannot afford to take mythology at face value."

fortuneandglory

Yeah, the "violence" I "threatened"... When was this? I said something about hitting in the face... Oh yeah, that was a reference to children, to get a point across to you. I may "fly of the handle" as you say. You just wont let it go when someone tells you to stop. I tried to be nice, but you insist on baiting me, and constantly presenting your "evidence" that is supposed to "refute" my beliefs, but the fact is, there is just as much for as against, and no, I'm not going to show you any. Go look it up yourself. But you wont believe it, because you have your evidence, and it is what you think is right.

I have my evidence, and no matter what you show me, you won't change my opinion.

I have my evidence, and no matter if I show you any at all, you will never change your opinion.

Just stop trying to convince me, because you wont.

Doc Savage

Gustav said:
Whereas in religion I would have to go up to a holy man and ask him what happened or read a book written by one or ask my religious parents and then just believe whatever they told me. By the way, is that really faith?
No, that's parroting. Faith has to be found personally. And it comes by relationship, not religion. "Organized religion" is the second worst thing to happen to man...Jesus Himself agreed with that.

"there is just as much for as against"
You keep saying that, but failing, indeed refusing to put-up....

"and no, I'm not going to show you any"
Ya... very mature, again.

"you will never change your opinion"
Not true at all.... I'm more than willing to change my 'opinion', (Not that any of what I've posted on these subjects is my 'opinion') if and when I'm presented with well supported, documented facts.... That's called progress.... It's how we get from sitting in caves, eating raw meat and communicating by banging rocks together, to sitting in our homes, sucking down sushi and communicating by clicking away on little plastic keys.....

""Organized religion" is the second worst thing to happen to man..."
I think it was George Carlin who said, "The only good thing to ever come out of organized religion is the music."
Heh

Doc Savage

ClintonHammond said:
It's how we get from sitting in caves, eating raw meat and communicating by banging rocks together.....
I do that now...
ClintonHammond said:
I think it was George Carlin who said, "The only good thing to ever come out of organized religion is the music."
Heh
And most of that was not-too-hot, either...

:dead: hurm...

Finn

Staff member
I don't think anybody's here to question the existence of a man called Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus, son of God, however... a whole another deal.