Iron Man 3

TheMutt92

So Favreau's out, but maybe his replacement will give this franchise a little "kiss kiss bang bang"?

http://screenrant.com/iron-man-3-director-shane-black-rob-100820/

While some already show concern for the film due to Favreau’s departure, which some speculate has to do with Marvel’s forceful hand about characters and story of Iron Man 3, the major saving grace of Shane Black directing – should he be chosen – is that he’s worked with star Robert Downey Jr. before. Black wrote and directed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, the amazing, yet underrated action-comedy which helped re-launch the career of Downey Jr.

Black is most well-known for his work on all four films of the Lethal Weapon franchise but his only directorial gig to date was with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

All I can say is, "Please, God: make it so!"

TheMutt92

Pale Horse said:
Shane Black, now that would be interesting. Wonder if he'll pen it too?

I would assume that because he is primarily known as a writer, he would at least be allowed to go over whatever draft they may have, if not be allowed to write the whole thing.

TheMutt92

Looks like it may be official, but writing is still in question...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/shane-black-to-direct-marvels-iron-man-3/

The ever secretive Marvel Studios is in final negotiations with Shane Black to direct Iron Man 3 set to be released on May 3, 2013. As you know, IM1 and IM2 director Jon Favreau begged off to helm Magic Kingdom at Disney so his relationship with the franchise ran its course. Shane is first and foremost a writer but it's not clear whether he'll be penning the IM3 script as well. "That's not figured out," our source says. Of course, everyone in and around Marvel is keeping mum. But Black has a long relationship with Robert Downey Jr since Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Not only did Shane make his directing debut on the 2005 cult favorite he co-wrote, but it helped re-launch Downey Jr?s career.

I.M.J.

I just hope that he doesn't abandon the Mandarin set up that's been in the background for two movies. We need a big Mandarin payoff, especially after the somewhat disappointing second flick. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but when you are a die hard Iron Man fan you can't help but look at it with different eyes than a casual fan.

Lance Quazar

Shane Black is a huge talent and this is great news.

But Marvel needs to learn to get the hell out of the way of their filmmakers and let them just do their jobs.

If Shane Black gets the kind of micro-managing crap they subjected Favs to on "Iron Man 2", it won't matter how great he is.

Hopefully, because this is taking place AFTER "The Avengers", there won't be the need for Marvel to cram in all kinds of lame tie-in elements that stood out in IM2 like a fist full of sore thumbs.

TheMutt92

Lance Quazar said:
Hopefully, because this is taking place AFTER "The Avengers", there won't be the need for Marvel to cram in all kinds of lame tie-in elements that stood out in IM2 like a fist full of sore thumbs.

All Marvel films before The Avengers should simply hint at Shield, leaving that film to fully explain it instead of subjecting half their films plot to it and making them just feel like setups for another film.

kongisking

I.M.J. said:
I just hope that he doesn't abandon the Mandarin set up that's been in the background for two movies. We need a big Mandarin payoff, especially after the somewhat disappointing second flick. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but when you are a die hard Iron Man fan you can't help but look at it with different eyes than a casual fan.

Yes. Agree, I do. Mandarin needs to be epic.

TheMutt92

Looks like Shane Black isn't writing, but thats not to say maybe he could do a little rewrite?

http://www.slashfilm.com/drew-pearce-iron-man-3/

While we?d hoped that Shane Black would write Iron Man 3 in addition to directing it, over the past few weeks we haven?t had any solid confirmation that he would definitely pen the script. He?s famous for screenwriting more than directing, after all, having only directed one film: the great Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. So it seemed reasonable to expect (certainly to hope) that he would write. But now Drew Pearce will script the sequel, based on the strength of his recent draft of Runaways.

TheMutt92

Indy Scout 117 said:
boy im glad youre around Mutt!!! you always post the stuff on all the cool movies!! (y) hahaha i'd have never known half the things i know about the upcoming films if it wasnt for you. thanks!!! :cool:

Haha, your welcome! I originally came onto this site to get info and talk about KOTCS, but since thats over I've mostly stuck to this section (I'm a media student, so...).

Indy Scout 117

TheMutt92 said:
Haha, your welcome! I originally came onto this site to get info and talk about KOTCS, but since thats over I've mostly stuck to this section (I'm a media student, so...).
thats cool!!! (y)

Dr. Gonzo

Indy Scout 117 said:
boy im glad youre around Mutt!!! you always post the stuff on all the cool movies!! (y) hahaha i'd have never known half the things i know about the upcoming films if it wasnt for you. thanks!!! :cool:
Well if you really are interested in film and want to know what's going on up to the minute all you have to do is go to either slashfilm or aint it cool news or cinematic happenings under development and you're set. They all have the same info. I love those places.

I.M.J.

Dr. Gonzo said:
Well if you really are interested in film and want to know what's going on up to the minute all you have to do is go to either slashfilm or aint it cool news or cinematic happenings under development and you're set. They all have the same info. I love those places.

Most of them pick up on stories found on the net. A lot of those movie sites aren't actually breaking news... they are instead reporting on what someone else has reported on. It's all pseudo-home grown news sites. Not that I'm blasting them though... Screen Rant is owned by the Publisher of Advanced Iron (the zine I edit) and I used to write for Game Rant, their sister site. SR is a great group, but even they rarely break real news.

Most of those websites survive because the studios use them as free advertising.

Lance Quazar

Though the hiring of Black is a masterstroke and the line we've heard from him about making "Iron Man 3" a kind of "Tom Clancy" style thriller is very intriguing, I just wonder how we'll be able to accept a scaled down "Iron Man" story after the expansive silliness of "The Avengers."

Once we know that Tony Stark lives in a universe of hulks and gods and all kinds of goofy comic-book elements, is it even possible to put the genie back in the bottle, so to speak?

I fear it might like following the cinematic "Superman 2", where Superman and Kryptonian baddies are chucking busses at each other in Times Square with George Reeves-style stories where he's confronting two-bit thugs who throw their revolvers at him after running out of bullets.

But, really, I hope that once the Avengers film is out and the massive Marvel franchise is secure, the Marvel suits will back off and just let Shane tell a great story on its own terms, without forcing his hand like they did with Favreau and IM2.

TheMutt92

Favreau not totally out of the picture?

http://www.slashfilm.com/robert-downey-jr-jon-favreau-talk-iron-man-3-difficulties-the-avengers/

Downey Jr: Here?s the first thing I want to say. The most difficult part of making Iron Man 3 is going to be negotiating Jon Favreau?s acting deal.

Favreau: If The Freak isn?t in it, I?m not doing it. If Happy Hogan doesn?t turn into The Freak, I?m not doing it. Here?s what happens to Happy Hogan, he marries Pepper Potts?

Downey Jr: Wait a minute, you want both?

Favreau: I want a love scene with Pepper Potts with my shirt on and I want to transform into The Freak.