Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Spurlock

Trailer came out today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

What do you guys think? Personally it looks like Marvel is really spending their Avengers and Iron Man money of effects and production, as Thor 2 and CA 2 both appear better financed. The movie itself looks better than the first one, offering more action, leaving the origin story behind, and focusing on the character. The new uniform looks sweet as well.

I looked for a thread but couldn't find one.

Lance Quazar

the first CAP film had one of the best origin stories in superhero cinematic history. It was terrific.

I was a little worried about CAP 2, since so much of what I loved from the first (the great period setting, for one) would be missing.

However, this trailer is sensational. I hope the movie delivers, as this looks really great. Love the spy movie tone of it all.

Le Saboteur

Embedded for your viewing pleasure.

<iframe width="680" height="460" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NLWsK1ZFunA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spurlock said:
What do you guys think?

(y)

kongisking

I really enjoyed Cap 1, though I wish it had given us more action with Rogers and more of Weaving's excellent Red Skull, but still was a highly enjoyable film. The biggest misstep in it was the ending, which if it had just ended with that montage of Cap's friends mourning him after the war ended (especially that bit of Peggy looking at skinny Steve's photo), would have been a perfect tearjerker. The final scene of Rogers in the modern day was obviously slapped on and ruined the emotional punch of the scene right before it.

This trailer has me pumped, though, because it looks to me like this film will be more of a spy thriller, which almost sounds like a cooler genre fit for Captain America than WWII-era pulp.

Though, I did roll my eyes at the Helicarrier bit at the end there. That's becoming a cliche fast in modern blockbusters...

Spurlock

I personally found the film a bit too comic-booky for my taste.

But this trailer seems like they trimmed that away and added more action. I still have some issues (such as a quite bland color palette to be honest), but it looks like an improvment

Joe Brody

Spurlock said:

[jokingly] Since much of the action is set in Washington, D.C., I won't be happy unless Cap visits the Lincoln Memorial and the Abe Statue turns out to be a robot that attacks him.

What issue people?

"This isn't Freedom. This is Fear." Great stuff.

Forbidden Eye

Got to see a lot of this material at the D23 Expo. The elevator scene in its entirety was really well done and the highlight of the footage.

Not a huge Marvel fan, but it does look like fun. Looks a lot more fun than the new Thor movie at least.

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:
Though, I did roll my eyes at the Helicarrier bit at the end there...

I'll let you in on an inside joke: Nearly every time the various helicarriers appear, they end up crashing in spectacular fashion. I can think of five or six instances right off the top of my head -- Red Hulk, Secret War, The Ultimates, etc.

Spurlock said:

You found a movie about a guy who runs around with a giant A on his helmet and wears a modified Stars & Stripes too "comic book-y"? That's hilarious.

And then you started a thread for the sequel. The thread you're probably looking for is over here.

Joe Brody said:
"This isn't Freedom. This is Fear." Great stuff.

Civil War? Or, at least the seeds of it are being planted. Well, maybe. It seems to be what a lot of commentators are hoping for. I'm only casually familiar with the story arc, but I don't think it works without Peter Parker in-house.

post-30370-Captain-America-the-Winter-Sol-FLpB.gif

Beast.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
I'll let you in on an inside joke: Nearly every time the various helicarriers appear, they end up crashing in spectacular fashion. I can think of five or six instances right off the top of my head -- Red Hulk, Secret War, The Ultimates, etc.

Ah. I don't read very much of the modern comics, so I was unaware of this. Sheesh, those Helicarriers are really wasting tax dollars if they can be brought down so easily!

Wrong series:

2010-06-18-beast.jpg

:p

Spurlock

Le Saboteur said:
You found a movie about a guy who runs around with a giant A on his helmet and wears a modified Stars & Stripes too "comic book-y"? That's hilarious.

I said the first one was too comic booky, and the box office numbers show it. Even though I liked the first one, it did have cliche character sacrifice, an enemy with a bulbous red head, and nazis shooting lasers. But in this one, it seems more ground in Sci Fi than in comic books. Everything from his suit to the villain have changed to be more practical and realistic. Hence the posting of the trailer.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Spurlock said:
I said the first one was too comic booky, and the box office numbers show it.

Are you arguing that the comic book nature of the film turned people away from it, thus leaving an entire trend of filmmaking from the past ten years or so to be explained away? Or are you saying that the film wasn't as good, and so fewer people went to see it, thus leaving Gone with the Wind and Avatar to be explained away?

I could get the explanation that it looked more comic booky than the others, but I've read precisely zero superhero comic books in my life (I'm not proud, that's just the case), and this was the only one of the pre-Avengers films I wanted to see in the theater. Putting it in a different time frame than <I>every other</I> superhero movie (other than that one X-Men prequel) made it a lot more enticing, not less.

roundshort

I will say that action sequence with Cap jumping through a window and tossing his shield has to be the WORST set I have ever scene in a major Motion picture with any type of budget. Looks like the old sets from the old Adam West Batman TV show.

Looks like another CGI S**Tstorm movie. I hope those who enjoy these movies love it.

Now if it had A robot Abe Lincoln...

Spurlock

Attila the Professor said:
Are you arguing that the comic book nature of the film turned people away from it, thus leaving an entire trend of filmmaking from the past ten years or so to be explained away? Or are you saying that the film wasn't as good, and so fewer people went to see it, thus leaving Gone with the Wind and Avatar to be explained away?

I could get the explanation that it looked more comic booky than the others, but I've read precisely zero superhero comic books in my life (I'm not proud, that's just the case), and this was the only one of the pre-Avengers films I wanted to see in the theater. Putting it in a different time frame than <I>every other</I> superhero movie (other than that one X-Men prequel) made it a lot more enticing, not less.

Captain America had a very campy tone, with off-brand sci fi things like the aforementioned nazis with laser guns. Hydra resembled something out of a bad James Bond movie.

In the box office, it is clear Captain America failed to entice near the numbers that Iron Man or Thor brought. Many could argue why, but honestly, movies that follow comic book's too closely in terms of character development and reasoning always end up with either bad ratings or bad box office. The only reason I saw CA was because it was on netflix and Avengers had made a good case for the Captain.

Though this one looks like it does way with that and lets the character breath some more.

Le Saboteur

Spurlock said:
I said the first one was too comic booky, and the box office numbers show it. But in this one, it seems more ground in Sci Fi than in comic books. Everything from his suit to the villain have changed to be more practical and realistic. Hence the posting of the trailer.

Your analysis is lacking in substance. I could just as easily state that modern audiences don't like period pieces, and subsequently stayed away. Except I'd be wrong; the domestic box office haul for The First Avenger is only ~six-million less than Thor. The gross international receipts put both films over the top, and I would hardly call a $370-million haul a box office failure.

Which is what you're intimating. So what does it say when a quintessentially "American" hero plays better overseas?

Since you brought up Iron Man. You can't really compare that first film to anything Marvel has done since. Not only was it one of the best movies of that year, but it was lightening in bottle. It's success is unlikely to be repeated.

Spurlock said:
Even though I liked the first one, it did have cliche character sacrifice, an enemy with a bulbous red head, and Nazis shooting lasers

So, just to be clear, a guy that turns into a giant green, nigh unstoppable monster when he gets angry is okay? So are frost giants, dwarves, elves, dragons, and a guy with a mighty hammer that shoots lightening? But a guy with a red skull for a head/face/whatever is a bridge too far? As are HYDRA shock troops with advanced weaponry powered by a Cosmic Cube? Sorry, Tesseract.

You may have 'liked' The First Avenger, but it seems to come with a lot of qualifications. Too many to actually count as a bona fide 'like.'

This may have been the funniest scene in the flick, but it certainly isn't camp.

tumblr_m6hfbgerlm1qa7hzxo3_250.gif

You'll need to excuse me, though. I already know what happens in The Winter Soldier story arc, and I don't want to say anything inadvertently.

Spurlock

Man, you're really taking this to heart. Thor isn't a science fiction film, it's a fantasy film, so yes, I do give pass for Ice trolls and rainbow bridges. The Hulk's conditions are explained, and even if Hugo Weaving's red face was explained, it wasn't a good enough explanation for me to remember.

CA just seemed to me like a B-class sci fi with no real draw except that he's a superhero. Aside from all the plot points I found to be lame (government spends millions of dollars to turn a regular man into a superhero only to have him become recruitment propaganda?

In my eyes, it was still a good film and I did like it. All I was saying is that it appears that The Winter Soldier fixes some issues of the first one.

IAdventurer01

Spurlock said:
CA just seemed to me like a B-class sci fi with no real draw except that he's a superhero.

Why is being like a B-movie a negative? Sometimes that's just what you're looking for from a film. Some of my favorite films are self-styled B-movies - hence, the forums we're posting in.

kongisking

roundshort said:
I will say that action sequence with Cap jumping through a window and tossing his shield has to be the WORST set I have ever scene in a major Motion picture with any type of budget. Looks like the old sets from the old Adam West Batman TV show.

Looks like another CGI S**Tstorm movie. I hope those who enjoy these movies love it.

Worst? As Indy said, "c'moooooon..." :confused:

How would you shoot, light and frame a modern-day rooftop? I wasn't aware rooftops had to be stupendously extravagant Golden Age Hollywood sets like, say, the Great Wall of King Kong.

Spurlock

roundshort said:

I didn't even see this comment. Honestly it looks fine to me. I'm not sure if you me worst as in boring or cheap or unrealistic. It may be boring, but it's a rooftop, what would you expect. Cheap, nothing looks left out or out of place. and for Unrealistic, still looks fine to me. Unless I'm missing something...

And if it has a robot Lincoln, it needs a vampire Obama of course

IAdventurer01 said:
Why is being like a B-movie a negative? Sometimes that's just what you're looking for from a film. Some of my favorite films are self-styled B-movies - hence, the forums we're posting in.

Maybe I was just expecting a top-notch superhero movie, like all other ones I had ever seen were. I guess this taught me superhero movies don't always need to be huge and upfront.