Rest In Peace, [Insert Name Here]

Montana Smith

Poor Bob.

He finally took that last ride. :(

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_9SG-zYvPjk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoo

kongisking said:
Damn it all! Goodbye, Bob. You'll always be immortalized as Eddie Valiant to me... :(
R.I.P. Bob. :( To me, he'll always be Company Sergeant Major Williams.

ZuluDawn_Hoskins_zps87f2bc88.jpg

Montana Smith

13 May 2014 Last updated at 10:48

Alien designer HR Giger dies at 74

The Swiss artist and designer of Ridley Scott's Alien, H. R. Giger, has died aged 74, a spokesperson at Giger's museum in Gruyere has confirmed.

He died of injuries sustained after he fell down stairs at his Zurich home.

Born in 1940, Giger was best known for his 'Xenomorph' alien in Scott's sci-fi horror masterpiece for which he won a visual effects Oscar in 1980.

He studied architecture and industrial design in Zurich and was known for creating strange dreamscapes.

Meticulously detailed, Giger's surrealist paintings were usually produced in large formats and then reworked with an airbrush and usually feature scenes of humans and machines fused together.

Giger described his style as "biomechanical".

One of his pieces in particular - Necronom IV - inspired the titular alien killer in Sir Ridley's hit film.

He also worked on Aliens 3 (1992) and, more recently, appeared in a documentary about director Alejandro Jodorowsky's unmade film of the book Dune.

In 1998, he opened his own museum in Gruyeres, Switzerland, which alongside his own paintings and sculptures, displays works from his own art collection from the likes of Salvador Dali, Dada and Ernst Fuchs.

The museum was run by the artist's wife, Carmen Maria Scheifele Giger.

In December 2004, Giger received the prestigious award, La Medaille de la Ville de Paris, at Paris City Hall.

Last year, he was inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in Seattle, along with fellow inductees, David Bowie and JRR Tolkien.

His work has also been exhibited around the world, including recent retrospectives in Hamburg, Germany, Moscow and Istanbul.

_74813094_giger.jpg

_74813413_giger_rex.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27390345

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Ah, damn it! That's a really inglorious way to go for such a twisted genius. RIP Giger. :(

It was. :(

But in some way sadly ironic.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

http://as.vanderbilt.edu/koepnick/Beauty_f06/materials/thoughtpapers/varela.htm

The stairs pose an interesting set of questions themselves: Where do they lead and why were they built? Furthermore, why have we, as observers decided to descend them? (A similar set of questions could be asked about the shaft itself.) Still, the fact that there is light shining down and that there are stairs that lead somewhere reveals a broader world than the mere darkness of the shaft.

This concept seems carried out almost physically in Schacht Nr. 7. The work itself is solitary, inspired by a nebulous experience but not created with a meaning in mind. There is little human about it; the solitary figure is a being but certainly not a human being; indeed, it is more an expression of the strife at the center of creation, its bizarre garments forming a physical rift in its wake. The light and stairs indicate an outer world, but the stairs descend down, into the earth and concealment, while the extraordinary figure rises, unconcealing and opening itself, and taking us with it.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Something tells me Joe Brody will weigh in on this particular one.

No poet here but 'yes' indeed I'll weigh in on this one.

I've always been fascinated by people who live exceptionally full lives; people like Maya Angelou with a knack for forming relationships with other interesting people and playing a role in the events of their day. When it comes to people of the Greatest Generation I used to chalk it up to the world being a smaller place back then -- but I've abandoned that notion. It's not luck that's at-work here, it's the intellectual hunger of the individual. Yes, Viriginia, there are real life Young Indiana Jones's and Forrest Gumps in this world.

This past December en route to a backpacking trip on the AT through the Smokies (forgive me for place dropping in two consecutive posts), my daughter and I stopped by Wake Forest to walk the campus. It's a neat, clean, orderly place and surprisingly small, and not surprisingly southern and white (or at least what I saw). As we walked around, all I could think to myself is what drew and held Angelou here for so long?

In the end, all I could come up with was that it's a school noted for great teaching.

Last edited:

jsarino

It's amazing how many lives Maya Angelou has touched through the years. I began knowing who she is as she was born here in St. Louis, but didn't read her work until my college years. She will be greatly missed!