Red Letter Media on KotCS

The Man

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZJ50qsDTkaY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Stoo

JP Jones said:
I was begining to think I was the only one who thought that.
Typical of The Man to post something EMPTY of Indy content but HIGH on 'voyeur' content.:rolleyes:

Forbidden Eye

Stoo said:
Typical of The Man to post something EMPTY of Indy content but HIGH on 'voyeur' content.:rolleyes:

This is not empty of Indy content. This guy's reviews get huge ratings on YouTube and are often discussed quite often (both in public and by those on the internet). The fact he's going to review Indy 4 means there's going to be a LOT more discussion of this film and that alone is worth discussing(not to mention his actual review of the film when it comes out).

As for my opinion, I really enjoyed his Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones reviews and agreed with the bulk of his opinions. I did think some of his points on his Revenge of the Sith review(which he posted on his site rather than YouTube) were really stretching it to the point where it seemed he was trying too hard to find things wrong with the movie. That and his side-stories with his "characters" and jokes got really stale and tiring at that point.

I still enjoy ROTS, and his thoughts on it don't affect mine. I honestly doubt his thoughts will affect my enjoyment of Kingdom either(assuming he hates it as much as the Star Wars prequels). I may see it just for the heck of it.

Stoo

Forbidden Eye said:
This is not empty of Indy content.
Yes, it is EMPTY. Where is the Indy content in this non-review? Answer = Nowhere.
Forbidden Eye said:
This guy's reviews get huge ratings on YouTube and are often discussed quite often (both in public and by those on the internet).
Who gives a toss what this pimple-popping, jack-off thinks?:confused:
Forbidden Eye said:
The fact he's going to review Indy 4 means there's going to be a LOT more discussion of this film and that alone is worth discussing (not to mention his actual review of the film when it comes out).
"The fact he's going to review Indy 4"...Yeah, can't wait to hear from some dork who hire$ $trippers to attract viewers to a non-review.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Forbidden Eye said:
...a LOT more discussion of this film and that alone is worth discussing (not to mention his actual review of the film when it comes out).
So you want to discuss this chump's non-dicussion?:confused:

Forbidden Eye

Stoo said:
Who gives a toss what this pimple-popping, jack-off thinks?:confused:

Well, the first part of his Phantom Menace review has over 3,500,000 views as well 17,208 likes(and 1302 dislikes so you aren't alone), so I think its fair to say a lot of people cares what he thinks.

But you're right, this subject isn't worthy of its own thread. Just remind us of something, what year was it TheRaider.net made you a moderator again?

Jumping the gun!

Forbidden Eye said:
This is not empty of Indy content.

When you're right, you're right. The Raiders March is played over a picture of the Crystal Skull DVD case! It even spins! Maybe those were my eyes.

Forbidden Eye said:
...you're right, this subject isn't worthy of its own thread.

Well it's a part of a new tradition following in the footfalls of giants like:

THIS

Stoo

Forbidden Eye said:
Well, the first part of his Phantom Menace review has over 3,500,000 views as well 17,208 likes(and 1302 dislikes so you aren't alone), so I think its fair to say a lot of people cares what he thinks.

But you're right, this subject isn't worthy of its own thread. Just remind us of something, what year was it TheRaider.net made you a moderator again?
Pardon me but I didn't realize that slamming a teaser trailer to an upcoming review was acting like a moderator.:p

So you must be one of those 3,498,698 Mush Mouth fans! If it wasn't for The Raven, I would have never known he existed. Wish it had stayed that way.:(

Cole

Forbidden Eye said:
This is not empty of Indy content. This guy's reviews get huge ratings on YouTube and are often discussed quite often (both in public and by those on the internet). The fact he's going to review Indy 4 means there's going to be a LOT more discussion of this film and that alone is worth discussing(not to mention his actual review of the film when it comes out).

As for my opinion, I really enjoyed his Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones reviews and agreed with the bulk of his opinions. I did think some of his points on his Revenge of the Sith review(which he posted on his site rather than YouTube) were really stretching it to the point where it seemed he was trying too hard to find things wrong with the movie. That and his side-stories with his "characters" and jokes got really stale and tiring at that point.

I still enjoy ROTS, and his thoughts on it don't affect mine. I honestly doubt his thoughts will affect my enjoyment of Kingdom either(assuming he hates it as much as the Star Wars prequels). I may see it just for the heck of it.
Nothing more than an internet sensation; that speaks almost nothing to quality. He's capitalizing on the popular fanboy despising of the Star Wars prequels. *yawn*

And now that he's become an internet sensation, I have little doubt that his review of 'Crystal Skull' will be nothing more than trying to find things wrong and coming up with dumb jokes to live up to his "reputation." It's entertainment, not a serious review. I highly doubt it will generate any serious discussion......unless you consider dumb arguing on YouTube comments "serious" discussion.

Cole said:
Nothing more than an internet sensation; that speaks almost nothing to quality. He's capitalizing on the popular fanboy despising of the Star Wars prequels. *yawn*

And now that he's become an internet sensation, I have little doubt that his review of 'Crystal Skull' will be nothing more than trying to find things wrong and coming up with dumb jokes to live up to his "reputation." It's entertainment, not a serious review. I highly doubt it will generate any serious discussion......unless you consider dumb arguing on YouTube comments "serious" discussion.
Yes hes capitalizing, though his critisicms are not all superfluous. He makes some well considered and reasonable points.

Wading through his own brand of "creativity" can be tedious for sure.

I don't doubt he can distill the cries of the many (good and bad) into something substantial.

Wading through his own indulgence is the cost though.:rolleyes:

Would have been worth its own thread if the review was already complete. This is just, stupid.

WillKill4Food

Rocket Surgeon said:
Would have been worth its own thread if the review was already complete. This is just, stupid.
Just saw on reddit, the review is up now, for those interested. At the beginning particularly, there are some... not particularly funny tangents that anyone not familiar with th other reviews will find very odd, to say the least.

After watching some of it, I don't think it's really all that worthwhile. Nothing he brings up hasn't been discussed at length (and with more content) here.

Last edited:

kongisking

I dreaded this day. I have also seen Plinkett's prequel reviews, and though he has good points about many of their flaws, I've rewatched the entire saga myself, and found the prequels to be much more coherent and thought-provoking than ever (it sure helps that me and AOTC Anakin both suffer from heart-aching crushes on women hopelessly out of their league...so I can sympathize much more now. Difference is, Anakin DOES get the girl, which is totally impossible in my case).

Anyways, sorry for the off-topic self-projection tangent there.

So, I definitely respect the guy, and his reviews are admittedly quite hilarious. But I knew, deep in my heart, that someday he would turn his sword toward KOTCS, and drive the blade deep through its heart. So, I shall watch the review, and see just how fatal the wound is. But I'm not looking forward to it. It's kinda like anticipating the vicious castration of a close friend that other people tend to deeply dislike, but you find to be a swell guy.

And speaking of swell guys, give The Man a break. His points are valid. I may not agree with the overall assessment, but at least he's an articulate, well-read hater. They DO exist, y'know...

WillKill4Food said:
Nothing he brings up hasn't been discussed at length (and with more content) here.
Has anyone pointed out the villains are all revealed in the first scene?

There were some other points, but despite it's length he doesn't seem invested in the review as he did with Star Wars. I have to skim it again, though his critisicms aren't simple hatred.

Interesting to see he's on the same page with many of the hardcore.

WillKill4Food said:
Nothing he brings up hasn't been discussed at length (and with more content) here.
Where is the discussion on the moral ambiguity of the filmakers? We should start a thread about that.

It was a great point which he also illustrates in his review of Episode III...regarding the "There are heroes on both sides" in the opening crawl.

In any event he punctuates his points pretty well with thier own words. Some decent content.

Last edited by a moderator:

indy4242

kongisking said:
I dreaded this day. I have also seen Plinkett's prequel reviews, and though he has good points about many of their flaws, I've rewatched the entire saga myself, and found the prequels to be much more coherent and thought-provoking than ever (it sure helps that me and AOTC Anakin both suffer from heart-aching crushes on women hopelessly out of their league...so I can sympathize much more now. Difference is, Anakin DOES get the girl, which is totally impossible in my case).

Anyways, sorry for the off-topic self-projection tangent there.

So, I definitely respect the guy, and his reviews are admittedly quite hilarious. But I knew, deep in my heart, that someday he would turn his sword toward KOTCS, and drive the blade deep through its heart. So, I shall watch the review, and see just how fatal the wound is. But I'm not looking forward to it. It's kinda like anticipating the vicious castration of a close friend that other people tend to deeply dislike, but you find to be a swell guy.

And speaking of swell guys, give The Man a break. His points are valid. I may not agree with the overall assessment, but at least he's an articulate, well-read hater. They DO exist, y'know...

Totally and completely agree ('cept about the Prequels seeming better on rewatch).

I was dreading this day as well. Having just seen the review, though, I'm at peace with it. It's a lot more vague than him just completely hating it. Ultimately it's just not a terrible movie, it's decent but not great, and the review itself suffered from it not being able to fall back on the easy humor of terribleness.

In fact, it kind of made me like the movie more.

garzo

I watched the review today and despite the really irrelevant vulgar and gross stuff that he he feels the need to include, for whatever reason, I found it pretty entertaining. I'd go so far as to say the guy's a big fan who was somewhat disappointed with KOTCS -- a real hater would not go through all that trouble.
He does a great job of presenting the detailed structure of these films and how formulaic they actually are. That may have been obvious to many here, but I think it's not something most people normally pick up on. I also appreciated his observation that it's not necessarily Indiana Jones the character that we truly care about, but rather the fantasy that the character provides in allowing us to live vicariously through him, which means most folks won't appreciate a geriatric Indy.
Of course it's what most action movies do, but it underscored my own thoughts -- I've always thought Indiana Jones can live on in further adventures, but ideally set between the 1920s and 1930s with Indy as a young man and not necessarily in a typically formula story with a magical macguffin.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Bill Murray reportedly tore the script for GB3 to pieces, literally, and sent it back. He will not be in that latest incarnation.

Bill F-ing Murray said:
"No one wants to pay money to see fat, old men chasing ghosts"

as to the titluar subject, I think of Ratatouille:

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere...

Plinkett is a critic. Most of us are. Where are the artists I wonder...

I'm an artist! Not THE artists mind, but an artist. Had to chime in here. To be honest I think Plinkett can be quite entertaining, his Episode 1 review is a very well thought out an elucidated piece of work, and his Episode 2 one, that bit that analyses Anakins relationship 'Stragedy' I've watched at least 5 times, and still laugh at it.

I'm one of the ones here who enjoyed Crystal Skull,I do admit I was a little disapointed in the thing. But not to the same extent as a lot of people. Now Plinkett is NOT a hater, he spells out a few points he likes about Crystal Skull, he even likes Mutt, I don't, he thinks that once the film gets going, i.e. after the motercycle chase, the film falls into a quagmire of sorts. With this I totally agree.

Basically I'm saying, yes, he can be very very crude, but he has produced some good stuff, indeed 'Half in the Bag' their film show, is quality film reviewing entertainment, and deserves a watch. Don't let the crudeness dispell you, the man has done his research, I mean he even alludes to the fact that Indy served in the First World War, and the conclusion he comes to isn't to condemn the film, its somewhere in between. Its worth a watch. Though that Masterbation bit was possibly too much...

Oh, for those annoyed at the stripper in the teaser video, its all in high irony, this is a reviewer who pretends to be a murderous old man in a wheel chair taping over his torture home videos... its sarcasm, pure and simple, poking fun at over the top critics by making his critic an actual homicidal maniac. :gun: