KotCS comic spoilers

Darth Vile

The prequels are great movies (in relative terms of course) and no sad 'Cloverfield' 'Ironman' or AICN waster will ever make me (or millions of others) think otherwise. But anyway this is about Indiana Jones so lets crack on...

indyflys_solo

Cyrano said:
Keep in mind that most movies are made by committee today and it shows. Every exec is looking to make big bucks and discards story and vision in favor of what opinion polls reflect. Movie are recycled, sequels are greenlit, original stories are few and far between.

Lucas and Spielberg are two of the few people who have full autonomy to do what they wish and that's what they do. If they listened to the divergent opinions of this forum alone nothing would get made and if it did half of you would still be upset.

The world wanted another IJ movie as did 95% of those on this board but it didn't get made till Ford, Spielberg, and Lucas came up with a story they were all willing to tell. They didn't do it for the money, they did to tell a story and to please the fans. Not all fans will be pleased but they will all go to see it. If they don't see it they shouldn't complain or criticize. It's like *****ing out your elected officials when you chose not to vote.

At any rate, the movie will be better than most of the want-to-bees and knock-offs that try to emulate IJ but never come close.

That brand of wisdom after only 5 posts? Well spoken, sir.
The truth of the matter is that I'm sorry if we've got a bunch of Lucas-haters on here, but please, let's try to be optimistic. Some of us (AHEM!) are worrying about this a LITTLE TOO MUCH, and everyone just needs to stop and take a deep breath and repeat after me: IT'S...JUST...A...MOVIE...
(once more, everyone...)

And although I'm as pumped as many of you and "Heck no, it's not just a movie; it's my life!" let's try to please be reasonable. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and Lucas is too: that's how Lucas movies are the way the way they are. If you don't enjoy something in one of his films I'm sorry, but that's your opinion. I'm sure I'M not going to like some of the things in KotCS, but I also know that I'm going to genuinely love a lot of it. I'm not staying up til 3 AM the morning of May 22 just to go see a summer blockbuster, I'm going to see my old friends have another high-flying adventure. What Lucas did or didn't do isn't going to affect me, but what Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood do will--a lot. Sure, maybe it won't be up to par with Raiders... or Temple (for all you Doomers out there)... or Crusade. But it doesn't have to be. We're going to watch Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, not a Raiders remake. And, despite everyone's differing opinions on here, we all have one big thing in common:

WE LOVE INDIANA JONES! :hat:

And no matter what happens Wednesday night, we're still getting another two hours with the best adventurer in the world. At least from where I'm standing, that's nothing to complain about. ;)

Shortie

indyfan105 said:
personity I think the only movie that was ever a really decent rip off from indiana jones was romancing the stone.

Jacob
Mummy 1 & National Treasure 1 were also good, I haven't seen NT 2 yet.

None of this surprises me, except Spalko's death. WTH, skeletons?
When does Mutt find out?

Avilos

I not sure if I am remembering correctly but I think on the "Romancing the Stone" DVD it said that its script was written before "Raiders" even came out. Its writer and George Lucas were simply independently inspired by similar influences. Thats why its so good. Its another tribute to old adventure stories. But focusing on Romance Adventures, not serials and Pulps. Not just a rip-off of Indiana Jones. Of course being directed by Robert Zemeckis puts it above any of the pretenders.

DrBeezer

tnswman said:
If you hink that Lucas made the SW films for the 30+ crowds, your are FULL of it!! SW is and ALWAYS has been a kid to teen movie! It is NOT lucas's fault that grown men make it the center of their lives and expect him to make the universe tilt how they desire it to....HE HAD TO STAY TRUE TO HIS STORY!! Nobody else matters!! He would have made all 3 SW movies regardless of how Menace did...Thankfully, Menace was a HUGE success. It's not his fault that you GREW up in way's you did not even realize and could not feel the same amazement at the movies as you once did. However, There were MILLIONS of kids who DID get that amazement...They are the SW consumers now..People are age are just Geeks with nothing better to do.

LOL. too funny. First off, if you read my post, I never said I was a Lucas hater, I said he had fantastic ideas and still does, but he also had bad ones, like everyone does. Second, I didn't dispute that he's not allowed to make HIS vision... but I'm allowed to not like it. You're allowed to love it. But he shouldn't be upset if the people who made him millions are disappointed in his work when they KNOW he's capable of better. And the Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back were not made for "kids", how anyone could watch them and think that is beyond me, charred remains of beloved relatives and bloody dismemberment these are always firsts in children's entertainment, I think I saw that on Seseme Street. They were made for EVERYBODY, young and old alike, and they were embraced by everybody young and old alike... the "6-60" crowd that was mentioned, yeah they all loved Star Wars just like they all loved Indy because they loved great films. Take my dad for instance, he was 30 when he saw Star Wars and he was blown away, he loved it... he's not Star Wars nut, didn't buy memorabilia, toys, shirts, isn't versed in the cannon of the universe or any of that... just really loved the movies for what they were and fast forward 20 years to the prequels, he just wasn't all that impressed he thought they were neat and had some fun moments in them but was overly underwhelmed and this is a guy who still gets pumped up like a kid when he goes to the movies.

It wasn't until Jedi that he started gearing the films towards 6 year olds with the ewoks (and then later took it to the next level with poop and fart jokes) but having "child-like amazement" over a movie and having a movie be bad are two different things, and the prequels are not good "films". They have a lot of good ideas and underneath it all, there's a pretty good story in there, but overall, they're not presented well at all. My biggest gripes are with George Lucas saying things like "I always planned on him being 8" when he's documented as saying otherwise early on in his life. Or saying "the problem with sci-fi movies is they spend too much time showing off the effects when they should be focusing on the story" and then 30 years later saying "that shot was in there just to show off the armor". He hasn't adhered to his own principles. Watch his old interviews and then his new ones, there's so many inconsistencies it's not even funny. And then he just says that he didn't say that, or he tries to make the public forget he did.

I still have the highest hopes for Indy IV and I hope upon hope it's a great film, because I really want it to be. I'm still a Indy fan, I'm still a Star Wars fan, I'm still a Spielberg fan, hell I'm still, despite it all, a Lucas fan... but to have these delusions that Lucas is some sort of god and is infallible... come off it. If he was so perfect, his initial idea of little green men running around after Indy would be on the screen. But Ford and Spielberg told him hell no. So clearly not all of his ideas are genius.

I mean he even said:
"It wasn't quite as wacky as I wanted it to be, but it still is subtle and nice and works really well and has the same idea behind it.''

(and I still think Ford and Spielberg would have rather not done anything with aliens, but Lucas would not relent so they gave over, but none of that can be proven so it's merely speculation on my part)

So here's hoping I'm proven wrong and Indy IV is spectacular! (y)

Last edited:

Darth Vile

DrBeezer,

I have to DISAGREE with the majority of your last post. I obviously won't go into the detail here on an Indy site, but I've never seen/heard one rational argument as to what makes the OT better than the PT (apart from the fact that the OT was obviously ground breaking).

I have high hopes for KOTCS BECAUSE of George Lucas/Spielberg, not despite George Lucas/Spielberg. Sure, no one can re-produce gold time and time again... but IMHO, I think these two have probably the best track record to date (within context of blockbuster/mainstream cinema).

WillKill4Food

Agent Spalko said:
Yes they do, I think they were recast from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Hehe.

I kind of think it would be cool if they did the crystal skeleton guys with models instead of pure CGI. After all, they did the ark spirits without CGI, surely they can do it right these days.
(Note: This is void if the alien skeletons look like Donovan's skeleton. I've always thought that it looks bloody awful! Toht's was good, though.)

WillKill4Food

Agent Spalko said:
I agree. Nothing is creepier than Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts.
YES! Oh my God! I loved that scene! Sure, it took them forever; but it was totally worth it. Classic!

Twilightpro101

indyfan105 said:
since this is a spoiler section of the forum.. I want to say something about this thread. be warned.. spoilers..

I saw the end of the comic book for indy 4.. it certainly make sense to me.. one of the rules in scriptwriting is that the hero is wanting something. we see that indy lost both his father and his friend brody. he is probably wishing that he has a family. he gets one at the end of the movie. for me.. that works. besides him and marion were made for each other anyways.. you also got that. I have no problem that mutt is his son. its probably better that way.

Jacob

Have to agree.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Actually you'll be surprised to find that the ending for Spalko in the comic isn't the exact same.... neither is the ball thing....

ChromiumBlue37

Good! I didn't like the idea of Glinda, the Good Witch of the North, flying away from the Akator temple! Hoping for a spacecraft, myself.

Do the skeletons actually stand? Do they project any light from thier eye sockets?

Jeeh

It's kinda hard to describe exactly how the scene went. It's very different from the comic book though, that's for sure.

The skeletons do stand, but only once Indy and the rest left the room and well ehm. I don't really remember them standing up, they just were there, melted together to form 1 alien with skin and all. And then Cate kinda went up in fire and disappeared.

I really liked the scene. The alien skeletons looked great, the skin version a bit less. Still, Cate going up is about as Indiana as it could get.

Edit:

The drawings are pretty terrible. Comic book adaptations never really make up, but this doesn't even remotely capture the scene.

DrBeezer

well that's disappointing. I think I could have accepted the sphere, something a bit mystical... not entirely explained but hinted at... but an actually flying saucer... lame.

sparkyrules

DrBeezer said:
well that's disappointing. I think I could have accepted the sphere, something a bit mystical... not entirely explained but hinted at... but an actually flying saucer... lame.

hmm..."lame" has become the new pessimistic fanboy cliche. you know what i find lame? pessimistic fanboys. :gun: