"The're digging in the wrong place!"

Will

First I should introduce myself...

My name is Will, and while I may be a newcomer to this site I'm in a no way a new comer to Indiana Jones. My favorite film of the trilogy and of all time is Raiders of the Lost Ark. Yet I've always wondered about one bit: How does Belloq and the Nazi's get the emblem that goes on top of the staff of rah? There is only one, and Marion had it, who then gave it to Indy. Clearly, they only have one side of it, which leads me to believe the imprint on Toht's hand is somehow involved, but how?

Furthermore, is there any evidence in the film that Marion did "switch baskets" or are we left to assume she just did?

spohlso

Welcome to the board Will. As to your questions:

Will said:
There is only one, and Marion had it, who then gave it to Indy. Clearly, they only have one side of it, which leads me to believe the imprint on Toht's hand is somehow involved, but how?

The general assumption is that they looked at the scars the original headpiece left on Toht's hand and fabricated a new headpiece. Because he only scarred his palm, they only had the markings from that side.

Will said:
Furthermore, is there any evidence in the film that Marion did "switch baskets" or are we left to assume she just did?

I think the fact that Marion was more than a charred corpse is pretty much all the evidence we have that the Nazis switched baskets.