The Mayan Calendar and 2012

Gear

I didn't name any.

And yeah, revolution-evolution can go either way but it depends on how its executed.

You guys have gone way off the subject matter here,this was a wonderful thread concerning the mayan calendar,lets try to keep it at that. And once again.....back to the calendar......

It interests me that it seems Indy may be tracking down the 13 crystal skulls in part 4 of the series and the first factual finding of the first crystal skull was in a mayan temple in the early 1900's. Also at the Comic con convention the mayan temple that was displayed in the glass container resembled the same temple that the first skull was discovered by "anna" the daughter of a famous archeoligist.:)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
ninepinejones said:
You guys have gone way off the subject matter here,this was a wonderful thread concerning the mayan calendar,lets try to keep it at that. And once again.....back to the calendar......
QFT

That out of the way, I think there is something to the end of the Mayan calendar...just not the way some people are saying it is going to be. The end of the calendar marks the end of a celestial cycle, and the Mayan religion was based heavily on heaven worship (sun, moon, stars, etc). According to their myths something "big" happened at the end of Earth's/Our Solar System's journey through the galaxy.
Will the planet stop spinning and we all go flying out into space? No...but at the very least it marks the end of a journey through space and the start of another.
Simply put, I think the calendar ended simply because the Mayans figured that when 2012 rolled around they would create a new one in its place. (Afterall, if these guys could see into the furture, surely they would've seen their own demise looooong before 2012)

I agree Aaron,I too believe that the calendar marked the end of a celestial cycle,as I had mentioned in a couple of my earlier posts it is just difficult to know what they were using as the galactic center to gauge the cycle. There are a few different theories on this subject,none of them declaring the cycle to be the end of the world,but more the begining of a new cycle. Our minds and moods are effected by the sun and the moon evidently and obviously,why then would we not be affected also by the neighbouring stars and planets.As we approach different star systems,getting closer to certain ones that we have never have before maybe they would have new influences on our minds and moods,allowing us to evolve in a more intergalactic and nourishing manner than such a destructive one. This would go along with the Hindu theory that at certain times different deity's such as Kali or Shiva had different influences over our species at different times of celestial happenings,the time of Kali being a destructive and selfish time,the century of Shiva being a productive and selfless era,and each deity being associated with a planet or star system,as our planet came into near orbit with these planets thats when the influence would take place,this I believe is more of what the Mayan calendar represented,because of their deitys also being associated with different celestial influence.

"why then would we not be affected also by the neighbouring stars"
Because they are too far away.

"Our minds and moods are effected by the sun and the moon"
Got proof of that, that isn't anecdotal?

Gear

ClintonHammond said:
"why then would we not be affected also by the neighbouring stars"
Because they are too far away.

"Our minds and moods are effected by the sun and the moon"
Got proof of that, that isn't anecdotal?

o.k., our bodys are effected by the celestial objects, like have you noticed how strange people act on or near full moons and what about womens menstral cycles?

Ok... so maybe you aughta go away and look up the word anecdotal....
People act no stranger near or on a 'full moon'
Women's 'cycles' are about hormones, not the moon.....

"our bodys are effected by the celestial objects"
Only if they land on you.

AngieAki

ClintonHammond said:
Ok... so maybe you aughta go away and look up the word anecdotal....
People act no stranger near or on a 'full moon'
Women's 'cycles' are about hormones, not the moon.....

Well the moon thing and the menstrual cycle is to be debated. But this is what I have found. As for the full moon affecting people I have found a few websites. Last time I posted links they were removed from my post. Wikipedia has some good info on both the full moon and its relationship with the menstrual cycle. I would recommend to wiki "menstrual cycle" and read up on that (just for some good reading, for everyone). I would also recommend wiking "full moon" or "lunar cycle".

Anyway from what I have found there is no good evidence for or against either sides (in both cases). If anyone finds something different please tell me.

(I am not going to put what I believe down because it ties into my religious beliefs, which have little, if no place in this debate.)

Kingsley

ClintonHammond said:

Hahahaha!!
I agree with that.

I know there are thousands of years of astrological tradition... but wake me when 2012 comes. :sleep:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
AngieAki said:
(I am not going to put what I believe down because it ties into my religious beliefs, which have little, if no place in this debate.)

I personally am the sort who has no problem with religion in and of itself, but you deserve some serious props for this statement.

"I would also recommend wiking "full moon" or "lunar cycle"."

I'd recommend you read a medical text on menstrual cycles....

Wiki isn't a bad place to start as a research tool, but let's not pretend it's more than it is.

eazybox

I have no ax to grind either for or against astrology, but I did work as a writer/editor for the famous astrologer Noel Tyl in 1975-'76. He was no charlatan and had no need to be, having a second career as a very successful opera singer.

I saw him and other astrologers at work firsthand and gained an enduring respect and admiration for them. Their goal in life was to help people solve their problems, and they were highly succesful at it.

There are many fraudulent practitioners who will take advantage of the gullible, but the astrologers I knew were not among them; they were sincere and passionately committed to their craft.

Astrology is really more of an art than a science, though-- scientists will tell you it can't possibly work because the planets are too far away, but that doesn't change the fact that it does work-- as anyone who takes the time to study the subject fairly and objectively can find out for themselves.

No one knows why it works, but it seems to have less to do with the proximity of the planets than their alignment into certain patterns that repeat themselves over time-- as though the universe is a kind of enormous clockwork.

Jung called this "synchronicity" and used astrology in his practice. Some modern psychologists also use the natal chart as a shortcut to understanding the character and the complexes of their patients. If it wasn't an accurate tool, they wouldn't keep using it.

Astrology can alert a person to certain conditions that will prevail in future times and help them prepare for and respond to these conditions; but predicting the future with precision is largely a pop culture parlor game best suited for newspaper daily horoscopes. It has little to do with serious astrology.

There are many excellent books on this subject for those interested, including Tyl's "The Horoscope As Identity" and his 12 volume syllabus, "The Principles and Practice of Astrology;" "Heaven Knows What", a popular classic by Grant Lewi; and the erudite "Astrology and Personality" by Dane Rudhyar.

Jack

"Astrology is really more of an art than a science"
Astrology is a load of hogwash... a way to dupe poor, dumb, desperate people out of their hard earned cash.

No Ticket

ClintonHammond said:
Astrology is a load of hogwash... a way to dupe poor, dumb, desperate people out of their hard earned cash.

here here! ... or uhh... hear hear?

eazybox

ClintonHammond said:

There is a lot of unfair hostility toward the subject from people who don't really know what they're talking about because they haven't studied it for themselves. I had a friend who started out as skeptical as you (though not nearly as hostile or negative), read a few of the better books on the subject, and changed his mind completely.

Please don't just parrot what most people think-- about this or any other subject-- without finding out for yourself. If you have done this and still feel the way you do, that's fine-- no argument. I'm just suggesting that you be fair.

Jack

Last edited:

eazybox

eazybox said:
There is a lot of unfair hostility toward the subject from people who don't really know what they're talking about because they haven't studied it for themselves. I had a friend who started out as skeptical as you (though not nearly as hostile or negative), read a few of the better books on the subject, and changed his mind completely.

Please don't just parrot what most people think-- about this or any other subject-- without finding out for yourself. If you have done this and still feel the way you do, that's fine-- no argument. I'm just suggesting that you be fair.

Jack

By the way, my friend was a science major.

Jack

chapter11

eazybox said:
I had a friend who started out as skeptical as you (though not nearly as hostile or negative)...

Don't take it personally, Jack. He's like that with just about everyone around here.