Looking for Indy's Jacket, Or Something Like It

NonStop

eazybox said:
The material has been sent out for review by the principals involved-- we all know how that goes, so we'll see how soon they can make it public. The Indy 4 jacket is probably the major sticking point, as the movie hasn't been released and the powers that be might not want to reveal too much about it before then. I'm hoping they can edit that section out and then reinstate it after May 22.

Jack

Would the info they present change the designs at Wested and by Todds?

Also, what material was it that the coat was made out of for the film. Because lambskin isn't waterproof.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The original Wested was Authentic Brown Lambskin, but it was vegetable tanned instead of chrome and it was thicker than today's lambskin.

Dunno 'bout KotCS.

NonStop

VP said:
The original Wested was Authentic Brown Lambskin, but it was vegetable tanned instead of chrome and it was thicker than today's lambskin.

Dunno 'bout KotCS.

Is the wested jacket not vegetable tanned then?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
That list isn't up to date, email them and ask for a current list.

That depends on where and when you intend to wear it. You can always check out the different hides at Wested and consult them about the best choice for British conditions.

NonStop

VP said:
That list isn't up to date, email them and ask for a current list.

That depends on where and when you intend to wear it. You can always check out the different hides at Wested and consult them about the best choice for British conditions.

That is true.

I have been reading over at Club Obi Wan, been hearing a lot of posotive feedback for Todds.

Man, I really can't make up my mind. Some say Todds is most accurate, other say Wested is.

Also, durability? What is the best type?

"I have been reading over at Club Obi Wan, been hearing a lot of posotive feedback for Todds."
That might be because the COWards rules are such that it's nearly impossible to say anything even remotely critical, of anyone or anything their mods approve of, no matter how justified said criticism might be.

NonStop

ClintonHammond said:
"I have been reading over at Club Obi Wan, been hearing a lot of posotive feedback for Todds."
That might be because the COWards rules are such that it's nearly impossible to say anything even remotely critical, of anyone or anything their mods approve of, no matter how justified said criticism might be.

Indeed. I think it is going to be a spur of the moment. I really can't make up my mind. I mean, I could get personally fitted at Wested. Or, go for a pre-size at Todds.

NonStop

ClintonHammond said:
Spend the money.... In 10-20 years you'll be glad you did, when you still have a KICKA#S Indy Jacket, instead of a threadbare shadow....

Thats basically what my Dad said. My Dad has a great black jacket, and he said its one of those things you have just gotta put lots of money into. I think, it is most likely to be a custom Wested, and I'll get fitted there. As to what type of skin and colour, god only knows.

eazybox

NonStop said:
Would the info they present change the designs at Wested and by Todds?

Also, what material was it that the coat was made out of for the film. Because lambskin isn't waterproof.

Yes, there is a lot of information that has been accepted as gospel for years by "experts" on the costume that is reportedly refuted by this new material.

COW has allowed some scathing reviews of Wested recently. They are all over the forum if you look for them. Some of the new research has contradicted claims Peter Botright has been making for years.

All the jackets for the films were made of lambskin, except the Indy 4 version, which is cowhide, made in the USA, and should be available for us to buy whenever Bernie Pollack gives the go-ahead.

Jack

NonStop

eazybox said:
Yes, there is a lot of information that has been accepted as gospel for years by "experts" on the costume that is reportedly refuted by this new material.

COW has allowed some scathing reviews of Wested recently. They are all over the forum if you look for them. Some of the new research has contradicted claims Peter Botright has been making for years.

All the jackets for the films were made of lambskin, except the Indy 4 version, which is cowhide, made in the USA, and should be available for us to buy whenever Bernie Pollack gives the go-ahead.

Jack

I see. Well,I'll wait and see. I think its going to be wested custom, but most likely fitted at the shop. i can't afford 500 dollars on Todds custom.

eazybox

NonStop said:
I see. Well,I'll wait and see. I think its going to be wested custom, but most likely fitted at the shop. i can't afford 500 dollars on Todds custom.

Yes, since you can go to the shop and be fitted, you have a better chance of getting a satisfactory result than through mail order. And, though the Indy 4 jacket will be the first one that is a perfect representation of the movie version, it will probably be very expensive. So, I think you've made the right choice for your needs.

Hope you get exactly what you want.

All the Best,
Jack

NonStop

eazybox said:
Yes, since you can go to the shop and be fitted, you have a better chance of getting a satisfactory result than through mail order. And, though the Indy 4 jacket will be the first one that is a perfect representation of the movie version, it will probably be very expensive. So, I think you've made the right choice for your needs.

Hope you get exactly what you want.

All the Best,
Jack

This Indy 4 jacket, who will be selling it?

eazybox

NonStop said:
This Indy 4 jacket, who will be selling it?

I don't know; it hasn't been announced yet. Some of the guys on COW know, but they're under close scrutiny from Spielberg & Lucasfilm now, so they can't reveal the vendor until given permission to do so.

I can tell you this-- I received my Todd's Standard today, and it's FANTASTIC! The most screen accurate Raiders jacket I've ever seen. And it fits perfectly-- better than either of the Wested lambs I've owned. I'll have to find out how well it holds up to daily usage.... but personally, I'm not going to put it through any kind of rough abuse anyway, so I think it will work out just fine.

Jack

Last edited:

NonStop

eazybox said:
I don't know; it hasn't been announced yet. Some of the guys on COW know, but they're under close scrutiny from Spielberg & Lucasfilm now, so they can't reveal the vendor until given permission to do so.

I can tell you this-- I received my Todd's Standard today, and it's FANTASTIC! The most screen accurate Raiders jacket I've ever seen. And it fits perfectly-- better than either of the Wested lambs I've owned. I'll have to find out how well it holds up to daily usage.... but personally, I'm not going to put it through any kind of rough abuse anyway, so I think it will work out just fine.

Jack

Ah, but mine will be put through rough usage, which is why I wanna go to Wested as Todd only does standard in lambskin.

eazybox

NonStop said:
Ah, but mine will be put through rough usage, which is why I wanna go to Wested as Todd only does standard in lambskin.

Then you're absolutely doing the right thing; I've heard horsehide is the toughest, and you can actually stand those jackets up with no support!

Jack

eazybox said:

Jack

Good to hear... I'm actually putting serious thought into getting one myself. They're so affordable and they look so very nice. I never had any intention of getting one but looking at the standards and hearing all the praise placed upon them, I'm starting to reconsider.