A Question about the Goddess Qetesh

AngieAki

I have been reading up on her and some sites say that she is the goddess of love and beauty. And others say she is the goddess of sex. In the depictions of her she is naked on top of a lion, holding a snake in one hand and in the other she is holding lotuses. The snake could very well be a symbol for the ***** and the lotus would represent the labia. Does anyone know which is more accurate? Are they both right?

Finn

Staff member
indy34 said:
I think it's a different Egyptian god for love and beauty but the name escapes me at the moment:confused:
Hathor.

The Egyptian system of deities is a bit complex one, as there isn't one sole name to be named for each office. For example both Ra and Horus are named as the God of the Sun, Set and Osiris were both Gods of the Underworld, etc. At times there were even numerous cults worshipping different deities that held the same "office". Qetesh is the older deity of fertility, love and beauty who in the flow of times sort of got intertwined with Hathor 'til no one knew which was which.

The Romans didn't make it any easier when they took over Egypt with their own Greek-adopted deity system. It's easy to suppose that in the end, on the general level of Mediterranean mythology, all Aphrodite (Greek), Venus (Roman) and both Qetesh and Hathor were considered to be one and the same deity.

Kind of shorts out the brain, eh?