TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2004, 11:33 AM   #1
HovitosKing
IndyFan

The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones

Hey, does anyone else here own any of the "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" comic book series? I personally own #1-10 and #27, but was wondering how good the rest of the series was.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
Indy_Jones88

Indy good

i dont own as many as u but i have 12-14 and some others and they r very good. I love reading the indy comics
Old 06-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #3
Lon
IndyFan

I have the entire series except for issue #20. I thought I had it and I went through my comic box recently and it's not there. I think the entire series is pretty good. It's not as good as the Dark Horse limited series from the 90s though.
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Junior Jones
IndyFan

I have the whole run.

There were different writers and artists, so the quality goes up and down.
Overall the series started really strong and after a few years started to loose steam. The first several issues featured shorter 1 and 2 issue story arcs, and toward the end they tried longer storylines that were harder to maintain.

But that's just my opinion.
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
Webley
IndyFan

Wich one has Shorty in it, I got a lot of them and I think thay are cooler than the Dark Horse ones.
Webley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
Indyologist
IndyFan

Re: The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones

Quote:
Originally posted by HovitosKing
Hey, does anyone else here own any of the "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" comic book series? I personally own #1-10 and #27, but was wondering how good the rest of the series was.

I find it to be an excellent series. Get the rest of them and you'll enjoy them. I still have all of them, of course. It's really too bad that they stopped the series. I have yet to get all the Dark Horse Comics. The ones I have are really good.
Indyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
Pan Rado
IndyFan

Unfortunately, they were never published where I live, and getting them now is probably an adventure worthy of Indiana Jones. Still, I would love to get my hands on them. I mean, come on, Toht's sister? Marion and Indy co-owning a bar in Chicago (I think)? Some interesting stuff here.

Also, was Belloq's brother featured in this?
Pan Rado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:07 AM   #8
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Pan Rado
Also, was Belloq's brother featured in this?

It's been a while since I read them, but I don't remember any of Belloq's relatives showing up.

His brother Claude did appear in The Eye of the Fates, which was one the "Find Your Fate" books. (He was, of course, looking for revenge.)
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
InBanana Jones
IndyFan

I have fond memories of the Marvel series. The best of the series IMO, were issues 4-5 and 7-10. Especially 9-10, as the Idol makes a reappearance as do the Hovitos. In the days before widespread VCRs and DVD players, the comics were the only outlet for a kid's Indy fix. The comics are usually pretty cheap, so grab them while you can.
InBanana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:27 PM   #10
Indy Benson
IndyFan

I've got a few that I picked up here and there, but nothing close to a complete set.

InBanana Jones: your name if from the Mad Magazine spoof of Raiders, yes?
Indy Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:10 PM   #11
InBanana Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy Benson
I've got a few that I picked up here and there, but nothing close to a complete set.

InBanana Jones: your name if from the Mad Magazine spoof of Raiders, yes?

You are correct! I have let that April '82 MAD Magazine slip through my fingers several times. My search continues, but the search is often more rewarding than the attainment, no?

I'd be interested in hearing my fellow posters favorite Indy stories from the Marvel series.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
InBanana Jones
IndyFan

Thumbs up

Been re-reading the entire Marvel series from the beginning for the first time in many years. I'm up to #6 right now; not the best, when Indy invests w/ Marion in a nightclub where Frank Sinatra is supposed to perform; funny, since Sinatra was a virtual unknown in 1936! Ah, well, the inspiration & spirit of the Thirties is still there! It's amazing how well most of these stories hold up, in terms of entertainment value. My favorites are easily #4-5:the Stonehenge story; #7-8:the African Amazon w/ the Nazis & Ivan MacGregor; #9-10: the Hovito/Ilsa Toht/Xomec tale) and #15-16: the Captain Katanga story. I still need to fill in some holes in the Marvel collection and will have fun doing so.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #13
InBanana Jones
IndyFan

Exclamation My Mistake...

...the villain in #s 7-8 is Ian McIver, not Ian McGregor...
Old 11-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #14
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I'm searching for all the ones with Marion, particularly #6 with the opening of the Raven's Nest!!!!!!

I do have #2, #5 and #9, one of which has Marion, Sallah and Marcus and the beginnings of a new adventure to do with the gold idol. The marvels are extremely rare down here, so I'd be forever gratiful if anyone can scan the entire comic issues (minus the ads) with the Raven's Nest and emailed to me......
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #15
VP
Moderator Emeritus

I have 'em all in Finnish, plus the film adaptations. Also have a bunch of them for sale, PM me if interested.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #16
InBanana Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
I'm searching for all the ones with Marion, particularly #6 with the opening of the Raven's Nest!!!!!!

I do have #2, #5 and #9, one of which has Marion, Sallah and Marcus and the beginnings of a new adventure to do with the gold idol. The marvels are extremely rare down here, so I'd be forever gratiful if anyone can scan the entire comic issues (minus the ads) with the Raven's Nest and emailed to me......

Marion also tags along in issues #7-8; 17-18 and a few more I can't recall right now. This site has them listed.

Good luck finding the books, I have been having trouble filling the holes in my own collection!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #17
Moedred
Administrator

When the hunt gets difficult, Marvel usually publishes them together in an 'Essential' black-and-white compendium. I was at the San Diego Comic Con this year and found only a few issues. I'm amazed so many Raveners have them.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #18
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I wish they had those 'essentials' down here. It make it a lot easier for us Aussie Indyfans.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #19
herr gruber

Indy Marvel comics

I have two 1984 Indiana Jones Marvel comics. They are very entertaining but they have not withstood the test of time as the covers are rather tatty. My favourite is about a dragon, it has Indy clinging to the tail of the dragon on the cover. This, to me, is not keeping with the reality of the Jones legacy! Mystical dragons are not going to make an appearance in an Indy film! This is not Lord of the Rings.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Those Marvel comics started coming out before ToD and LC, so I'm sure they just figured anything with adventure in it would do Indy justice at the time. There was no canon, no Indy legacy.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #21
mfisher
IndyFan

I collected these as a kid... dad took me and my brother to the comic book store in Texas every month and we each got to pick up a comic or two... I always got the latest Indy.. and my brother picked up the GI Joe series.. dad always taught us to take care of our books so I actually have every issue of this series still in mint condition.. and yes.. they are far fetched.. but.. they sure were a hell of a lot of fun back then.. so I still like to thumb through them from time to time.. just for the good memories..
mfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #22
Rivers
IndyFan

I also picked up all 34 issues while I was a kid. Some of the stories are actually very entertaining. I have good memories about that series and I am confident the new series from Dark Horse will continue to tell quality Indy tales.
Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #23
Wu_Han
IndyFan

Marvel omnibus

Hi all,

In the past year or so I've been sort of catching up on Indy's "expanded universe" to borrow a SW term. The YIJ Chronicles came out on DVD and I'm watching many of them for the first time ever. I've also been getting the various novels. But while I was reading, I remembered the "Further Adventures" comic book series by Marvel. I saw some of the titles and decided I'd like to collect all 34.

Prices for a complete set on ebay are around $80-$90 shipped and picking up individual issues is more expensive then that. The condition is often described as fine. Meanwhile by the end of this year we will have all the Dark Horse comics compiled nicely into Omnibuses that go for $20 and down. Is there any chance of us seeing the Marvel comics get the same treatment?
Wu_Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #24
Indy fan 235
IndyFan

I don't think Dark Horse has announced yet if they are going to do the Marvel books in an omnibus yet, but I really hope so.

I'd shop around on ebay, I've seen complete sets of the Marvel run go for much lower than you listed.

Also, if you enjoy the Indy comics, check out Star Wars Tales #19. It has a story where Indiana Jones discovers the Millenium Falcon. It's a pretty cool story.
Indy fan 235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #25
phantom train
IndyFan

DH has mentioned in various press releases that they do plan on releasing the IJ Marvel comics in the Omnibus format, but no dates have been set - I'm guessing because it's too early - they may wait until the 2nd Omnibus is out before they set the release date for the 3rd. Also, the Marvel issues may be in the 4th Omnibus if DH releases the "Young Indiana Jones" chronicles one beforehand.

The bottom-line is that I wouldn't expect the IJ Marvel comics Omnibus until much later in 2008.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote