General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Silvor

Pale Horse said:
Truth can be perceived as negative, but it's still truth. Kinda like when the Dr. says you have 2 months to live. It's sad, but it's the truth.

Unfortunately, this is not true. We don't know this claim anymore than we know what the weather will be like. Programmed responses to tired questions will always be the same.
So this
http://deadline.com/2015/10/britannia-awards-spielberg-fifth-indiana-jones-harrison-ford-meryl-streep-1201600196/
and this https://youtu.be/F09s0q3gs1U?t=58s
Are programmed responses to a tired question now?
It's pretty obvious Spielberg wants to do it, why on earth would he bring it up in a award video tribute to Ford if he didn't?

foreignerfred

Spielberg seems to be welcoming Indiana Jones talk, and Harrison is looking at a huge hit for the latest in his return-to-my-most-famous-roles checklist.

I believe we're about to get our long hoped-for (or feared, for some) official announcement of Indiana Jones 5.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense for them to let Star Wars have its full (and glorious) day, all the while using opportunities with Harrison to prime the pump for the reveal. I mean, it's organic. "Han Solo has returned for another adventure. Will Indiana Jones?"

Come the end of December or sometime early in the new year, I think we'll have our announcement.

(My bonus prediction is that Abrams will be involved with Indy in some way, either as a producer, a story credit, or as screenwriter [with his co-screenwriter KASDAN?]).

Z dweller

Le Saboteur said:
And if Ford's flat, unemotive reading of "We're home, Chewie." is causing people to cry then I suggest they seek professional help.
giggle.gif
Cynical, but true.

TheFedora said:
And yet, this is what he would say to the young actor playing Han Solo in the spin off movie:
“Talk to your director. Watch the movies. And welcome aboard. Make it your own.’

I'm sure in due course he'll give exactly the same advice to the new Indy actor chosen by Disney. :D

Raiders90

We need to keep that old hack Harrison Ford as far away from Indy as possible. He's old. He needs to be retired. He's old. He helped rape my 1980s childhood and I hate him! He's not the true Indy anyway! That was 1980s dream idol River Phoenix <3 -swoon- Oh the 1980s. Those great gritty, dark, grimdark, proto-Nolan days...When darkness and perms and mullets reigned and darkness was on TV and shoulder pads were the thing. Oh those 1980s which Harrison Lucas and George Spielberg helped to rape. Oh, Ronniebear Reagan and Maggie Thatcher. Oh, the grit. Oh, the memories.

We need Chris Nolan to come in, and make the dark and gritty Indy that the first movie wish it could've been. And legally bind Harrison from being anywhere near any Indy film ever again. He ruined KOTCS. Retroactively, he ruined the whole series. We should erase him from Indy's history.

All hail reboots, popcorn, and Nolan. Allah Ackbar!

AnythingGoes

Cute...

I don't think anybody in favor of a reboot (myself included) has ever wished for it to be 'gritty', at least in the 'Nolanization' sense you are implying. Indeed, there are many in favor of a reboot (myself included again, natch), who wouldn't mind having Harrison pull double duty with a younger 'Indy' in the same film.

I wasn't aware there was ever much of a discussion of Disney making the new films 'darker', as a matter of fact, I thought the general consensus was that the new films would be ruined because they weren't as dark as the originals!

And, for future reference, it's "Allahu Akbar", but I don't suppose that matters much to you.

Henry Jones VII

Raiders112390 said:
We need to keep that old hack Harrison Ford as far away from Indy as possible. He's old. He needs to be retired. He's old. He helped rape my 1980s childhood and I hate him! He's not the true Indy anyway! That was 1980s dream idol River Phoenix <3 -swoon- Oh the 1980s. Those great gritty, dark, grimdark, proto-Nolan days...When darkness and perms and mullets reigned and darkness was on TV and shoulder pads were the thing. Oh those 1980s which Harrison Lucas and George Spielberg helped to rape. Oh, Ronniebear Reagan and Maggie Thatcher. Oh, the grit. Oh, the memories.

We need Chris Nolan to come in, and make the dark and gritty Indy that the first movie wish it could've been. And legally bind Harrison from being anywhere near any Indy film ever again. He ruined KOTCS. Retroactively, he ruined the whole series. We should erase him from Indy's history.

4da.gif

FordFan

Raiders112390 said:

Nolan's best days are behind him. He peaked with "Inception". "Interstellar" was an M. Night Shyamalan movie in disguise.

Le Saboteur said:
And if Ford's flat, unemotive reading of "We're home, Chewie." is causing people to cry then I suggest they seek professional help.

But that's enough thread derailment for me.

Who pissed in your Corn Flakes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:

NO!!!

We all want to see Ford play Indy well into his 90s, even on a wheelchair, even when he cannot remember his lines anymore, it doesn't matter...
HARRY IS INDY AND INDY IS HARRY, WE LOVE AND WORSHIP HARRY!

In fact, why not squeeze in a couple of extra Indy movies even after Harry eventually passes away?
A good screenwriter should see that as an opportunity!!!

And BURN TO HELL ALL THE HERETICS who disagree and dare to think that action movies should preferably feature actors in their prime. :sick:

The problem with people is that THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT MAKES A GOOD MOVIE!!!

ALL WE NEED IS HARRY!!!!!!!
HAIL HARRY 4EVA !!!!!!!!!!

Le Saboteur

FordFan said:
Who pissed in your Corn Flakes?

You'll be much happier in life once you realize that Ford is a.) not a good actor and b.) most assuredly not an action star.

tumblr_lq71iyykBs1qe2fnco1_500.gif

TheFedora said:
Harrison Ford wants to do another Indiana Jones

Yes, and I wanted to be the starting center fielder for the Yankees (but I can't hit a major league curve).

There's a concept in economics called 'creative destruction'. Owing something to the Shaivistic tradition of life being born of destruction it describes the mutation in the industrial process that breathes life into something new while simultaneously destroying the old ad infinitum.

If you will, think of it as an old growth forest being choked off by vines, weeds, and infected with rot. It can't reach the sun to produce new life until a fire comes along and burns it all down. The ashes fertilize the soil; the clearing allows the sun to reach the ground; the space allows new seedlings to grow, and you create the conditions to allow new life to flourish.

Indiana Jones is the forest, and The Beards and Ford are choking the life out of the concept. To desire or even want a group of old men who have grown (metaphorically) fat and comfortable to return to something that they clearly have zero interest in will begat you another Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Or something even worse.

Keep Ford away. Keep Lucas away. Keep Spielberg away. Stop trying to recreate the past. Burn it all down and build something new.

Silvor said:
Are programmed responses to a tired question now?

Yes. Of course he wants to return to one of his iconic roles, but note the the passive tone. Plus, I'm sure another $65-million for three months of work wouldn't be bad either. How far do you think the reporter is going to get with some version of "How does it feel to star in a series of critical and commercial failures? I thought you were a movie star?"

Z dweller

Le Saboteur said:
Keep Ford away. Keep Lucas away. Keep Spielberg away. Stop trying to recreate the past. Burn it all down and build something new.
I agree with you entirely, Le Sab .

However, I suspect your caustic tone may not resonate well with the die-hard Ford fans who patronize this forum.
So let me try to play good cop to your bad, and sweeten the pill a bit for them.
After all, they are just naïve dreamers, unaccustomed to the vagaries of reality. ;)

The Beards and Ford gave us three fabulous movies which we all love, and a fourth one which, while clearly sub-par, does wrap up the story arc very neatly and satisfyingly.
At the end of KOTCS Indy gets married to the love of his life, gets a permanent academic assignment, and gets ready to face his greatest challenge yet: settling into family life.

That’s it. The story is complete. That’s how the creators wanted it to end.
As fans, the least we can do is respect their will.

At this stage, it’s just not realistic to envisage the next movie as a better version of KOTCS, concocted using the same ingredients.
Remember what Einstein (allegedly) said: insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result.

Disregard Ford’s stated willingness to make another movie, and Spielberg’s musings on the subject: it’s just Hollywood chitchat, instigated by click-baiting hacks.
George Lucas, the man who conceived Indiana Jones, sold out to Disney and retired.

The only way the film series can meaningfully continue in the future, and stay true to the original spirit, is with prequels set before TOD in the timeline, with a new director and actor on board.

Can we be sure that Disney won’t royally mess it up? Of course not.
But let’s give them a chance and hope for the best, instead of flogging a dead horse.

Peace. Love. Long live Indy.

Hanselation

Le Saboteur said:
You'll be much happier in life once you realize that Ford is a.) not a good actor and b.) most assuredly not an action star.

If you don't like Harrison Ford you shouldn't call yourself a Indiana Jones fan or at least not use this message board. That would be better for everyone. Look other adventure or action movies you would like -Dakota Harris? Welcome to the Jungle? Sahara? Quatermain? National Treasure? Whatever!

But don't waste our and your time. :gun:

Finn

Staff member
Hanselation said:
If you don't like Harrison Ford you shouldn't call yourself a Indiana Jones fan or at least not use this message board. That would be better for everyone. Look other adventure or action movies you would like -Dakota Harris? Welcome to the Jungle? Sahara? Quatermain? National Treasure? Whatever!
For what it's worth, most iconic characters transcend far beyond the face that portrays them. Indiana Jones is not an exception.

Hanselation said:
But don't waste our and your time.
Please, leave it to the people running this community to determine what is desired material and what isn't. We condone most commentary, even the controversial kind, as long as it's presented in an elaborate manner and concentrates on critcizing the issues instead of posters themselves.

Yours included.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Z dweller said:
it?s just Hollywood chitchat, instigated by click-baiting hacks.
I'm as annoyed as anyone with Google's loose definition of what constitutes a "news" site. But Spielberg freely expressed his "fervent hope" to Ford in an award presentation tribute video, which has yet to find its way online.

2DF73BDC00000578-3298068-image-a-2_1446298894558.jpg

I'm aware the main site isn't displaying the latest sequel dispatches, we're working on that... it's important to have at least one place on the internet that contains 0% editorial. Take it all with a grain of salt. No points will be awarded for guessing the franchise's supposedly obvious next step.

Raiders90

Le Saboteur said:

tumblr_lq71iyykBs1qe2fnco1_500.gif

Yes, and I wanted to be the starting center fielder for the Yankees (but I can't hit a major league curve).

There's a concept in economics called 'creative destruction'. Owing something to the Shaivistic tradition of life being born of destruction it describes the mutation in the industrial process that breathes life into something new while simultaneously destroying the old ad infinitum.

If you will, think of it as an old growth forest being choked off by vines, weeds, and infected with rot. It can't reach the sun to produce new life until a fire comes along and burns it all down. The ashes fertilize the soil; the clearing allows the sun to reach the ground; the space allows new seedlings to grow, and you create the conditions to allow new life to flourish.

Indiana Jones is the forest, and The Beards and Ford are choking the life out of the concept. To desire or even want a group of old men who have grown (metaphorically) fat and comfortable to return to something that they clearly have zero interest in will begat you another Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Or something even worse.

Yes. Of course he wants to return to one of his iconic roles, but note the the passive tone. Plus, I'm sure another $65-million for three months of work wouldn't be bad either. How far do you think the reporter is going to get with some version of "How does it feel to star in a series of critical and commercial failures? I thought you were a movie star?"

Translation:
"GEORGE WUCKAS RAPED MY CHILDHOOD" - SNIFFLE - "BWURN IT ALL DOWN. I HATE YOU HARRY FORD! I HATE YOU FOREVER! NOLAN IS GOD, NOLAN AKBAR!

Z dweller

Moedred said:
I'm as annoyed as anyone with Google's loose definition of what constitutes a "news" site. But Spielberg freely expressed his "fervent hope" to Ford in an award presentation tribute video, which has yet to find its way online.
Well, I never said they pried it out of him at gunpoint...
More importantly though, do you believe Spielberg really means it?

Would he direct another movie with Ford if Lucas weren't involved in some capacity?
Would George do it, having sold off to Disney (with all that that entails, particularly wrt target audience)?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Z dweller said:
Would he direct another movie with Ford if Lucas weren't involved in some capacity?
Yes. Spielberg has reflexively kowtowed for 15 years ever since Lucas put his foot down, but Lucas is no longer part of the company flow chart. I've got a whole page here of quotes and conjecture suggesting Spielberg's unauthorized story development in the 90's if you're interested.

TheFedora

Moedred said:
Yes. Spielberg has reflexively kowtowed for 15 years ever since Lucas put his foot down, but Lucas is no longer part of the company flow chart. I've got a whole page here of quotes and conjecture suggesting Spielberg's unauthorized story development in the 90's if you're interested.
That page is certainly very....educational.

Didnt know that rumors were swearing up and down it was the garden of eden for what would eventually become Crystal Skull for almost 20 years...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
TheFedora said:
Didnt know that rumors were swearing up and down it was the garden of eden
Some of that speculation could be from the Monkey King script being renamed Garden of Life in 1995. I titled the page Indy 4.3 because I don't buy the story nothing happened from 1996 to 2000. Nothing at Lucasfilm for Rinzler to find records of, but instead at Amblin. The Ford and Spielberg quotes, some dug up from Nexis, suggest they were circumventing Lucas before he reined them in around 2000. Now he's out and Kennedy's in, which is why I'm optimistic.