What are KOTCS's best action scenes?

weaponx24

Id say the Hangar 51 Chase/Doomtown sequence and the waterfalls were classic Indy scenes...the other were just alright....

Cagefighterkip

weaponx24 said:
Id say the Hangar 51 Chase/Doomtown sequence and the waterfalls were classic Indy scenes...the other were just alright....

the waterfalls was good... it got funnier each time they fell

We got a gopher!

chippy.jpg

Raider S

Best action scene probably was the car/motorcycle chase or the escape from the hangar.

Jungle chase was far too long with too much silliness: the sword fight, the tarzan swing, being able to drive at 50 mph over tree stumps(wtf?), Marion with the insane smile.

The Akator action was plain bad; the spiral staircase trap was one of the worst things I've seen.

The cemetary fight was passable but looked too much like a set.

Belloq

By far, the motorcycle scene. It mixed a classic scene (NO CGI!) with comedy that nearly resembled the scene fighter pilot and car chase scene in the LC

agentsands77

The motorcycle chase did feel very much in the vein of LAST CRUSADE. And that's precisely my problem with it (I don't really care for CRUSADE). ;)

Intriguingly, the sequence that feels the most inspired to me is perhaps the least Indy-esque of them all... the Doomtown scenario. It really feels like Spielberg showed up to direct that one, ridiculous as it is. The rest feel like they could have been handled by Brett Ratner imitating Steven Spielberg.

sandiegojones

Belloq said:
By far, the motorcycle scene. It mixed a classic scene (NO CGI!) with comedy that nearly resembled the scene fighter pilot and car chase scene in the LC
Actually they CGI'd Shia's and HF's face onto stuntmen in a few shots. Still a good scene though!

I prefer the Jungle Chase myself.

agentsands77

I want to like the jungle chase (and plenty of reviews remarked on its creativity), but I found it sloppy and somewhat dull, and not 'cause of the monkeys. There's just very little that happens in it of any real interest, and frankly, I question the wisdom of Lucas and Spielberg trying to do another land vehicle chase in the vein of the truck chase from RAIDERS and the tank chase from CRUSADE... give us something different, why don't cha?

There was one moment I loved, though, and that was when Spalko was hanging on the hood of Marion's vehicle and shooting the gun at her.

sandiegojones

It's a case of giving the fans what they wanted. A lot said that they wanted a chase "like Raiders" and then after said, "I wanted something different". Fanboys are a silly bunch.

I think they did pretty good. It's kind of like a ballet. Blow up the Cutter and then jump from the truck to a jeep, then from the jeep to a duck and then a sword fight and back onto the jeep on the cliff side and then the ants and then a fist fight with ants, back onto the duck and over the waterfall. It's not art, but it's fun!

Belloq

sandiegojones said:
Actually they CGI'd Shia's and HF's face onto stuntmen in a few shots. Still a good scene though!

I prefer the Jungle Chase myself.

touche, sir.

Oh, and the Jungle Chase was alright except for the sword fight on top in the cars. This isn't Zorro, it's Indiana Jones!

agentsands77

sandiegojones said:
It's a case of giving the fans what they wanted. A lot said that they wanted a chase "like Raiders" and then after said, "I wanted something different". Fanboys are a silly bunch.
Well, to be fair, the exceedingly outlandish and cartoony jungle chase wasn't really like anything from RAIDERS.

The Man

agentsands77 said:
Well, to be fair, the exceedingly outlandish and cartoony jungle chase wasn't really like anything from RAIDERS.

Any standard, average summer blockbuster could out-do the 'action' in Skull. We wanted - and were promised - vintage. Not what we got, though. The jungle chase is quite humiliating...

sandiegojones

agentsands77 said:
Well, like I said, they tried to copy themselves. I never said the chase was "like" Raiders, only that that was the attempt. They're all older and are trying to replicate something they did in the past and were only partially successful.

Darth Vile

The Man said:
Any standard, average summer blockbuster could out-do the 'action' in Skull. We wanted - and were promised - vintage. Not what we got, though. The jungle chase is quite humiliating...

Can?t agree there....

Whilst I don?t think KOTCS did anything brilliantly (action wise)? I didn't see any action set piece in TDK, The Mummy 3 or Iron Man that particularly bettered or even matched anything in KOTCS. I did think some of the action in KOTCS seemed passé and lacked the imagination of the other 3 (as discussed in other topics)? but the warehouse, bike chase; jungle chase were at least fun. The action in TDK was largely superfluous (especially the last 30 mins), and the action in The Mummy 3 and Iron Man felt a lot more like a video game than KOTCS ever did.

So I do believe KOTCS outdid its contemporary counterparts on the action front (if not the other Indy movies).

agentsands77

I think THE DARK KNIGHT solidly out-did KINGDOM, especially in the hong Kong and vehicular chase sequences. More exciting concepts, more exciting stunts, and overall more thrills.

IRON MAN didn't have the best action, and neither did MUMMY 3, but I daresay that HELLBOY II also outdid KINGDOM on the action front.

The Man

agentsands77 said:
I think THE DARK KNIGHT solidly out-did KINGDOM, especially in the hong Kong and vehicular chase sequences. More exciting concepts, more exciting stunts, and overall more thrills.

Absolutely. Nolan's a little shaky when it comes to hand-to-hand combat scenes, but the centrepiece action sequences were superbly rendered. It's Skull that resembles a comic-book, especially in the jungle-bungle.

Cagefighterkip

The Man said:
Absolutely. Nolan's a little shaky when it comes to hand-to-hand combat scenes, but the centrepiece action sequences were superbly rendered. It's Skull that resembles a comic-book, especially in the jungle-bungle.

the jungle-bungle (lol) was the coolest car chase i saw all summer and almost all the action in TDK was outdone by Indy.

Silentrascal

Cagefighterkip said:
the jungle-bungle (lol) was the coolest car chase i saw all summer and almost all the action in TDK was outdone by Indy.

So which is it......alcohol or drugs?

Last edited: