Anything Goes V.S. Hound Dog

Darth Vile

ResidentAlien said:
Diegesis... a narrative function. It served a narrative function. In KOCKS... sure... it served a narrative function... ad nauseum. And what's with a found score in an Indiana Jones movie? That's the most irritating part in my mind; it's a pop song for the sake of a pop song.

I would have used no song to open it; get out of this damned Tarantino contrivance where everything has to reference something. Where's originality gone?

Well I agree with you that you don't have to push everything down an audiences throat to make them "get it"... but personally, I found the use of an Elvis track to be a simpler and more subtle way to conjure up the early 1950's. The inclusion of "Anything Goes" and the Busby Berkeley musical number seems a lot more gratuitous and forced (regardless of how much fun Lucas and Spielberg may have had putting it together).

However - Yes, I agree that they could have not used the track at all...

The Man said:
I don't have much of a problem with Skull's opening. It's zippy enough, but there's no comparison when it comes to the choice of music. Hound Dog is, predictable or not, merely a song on a radio. Anything Goes is an all-out, full-blooded musical number.

Yep - A musical number in an Indy movie. At least KOTCS never sunk that low ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Man

Darth Vile said:
Yep - A musical number in an Indy movie. At least KOTCS never sunk that low ;)

Since the film became a literal farce* once in Peru, it would have shocked nobody if this little ditty had popped up during the 'jungle' 'chase'...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMA6ar9PjoE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMA6ar9PjoE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

*A mockery and a total spoof of Indiana Jones. Why not have Leslie Nielsen as Indy, Priscilla Presley as Marion and O.J. Simpson as Mutt? Granted, though, giving him access to stabbing implements may not have been the safest decision...

Darth Vile

The Man said:
Since the film became a literal farce* once in Peru, it would have shocked nobody if this little ditty had popped up during the 'jungle' 'chase'...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMA6ar9PjoE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMA6ar9PjoE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

*A mockery and a total spoof of Indiana Jones. Why not have Leslie Nielsen as Indy, Priscilla Presley as Marion and O.J. Simpson as Mutt? Granted, though, giving him access to stabbing implements may not have been the safest decision...

Yep - That certainly would have been in keeping with TOD.

The Man

Darth Vile said:
Contextually... "Anything Goes" was certainly a better application/realization of a piece of music? although I found it to be twee, childish and unfortunately it set the tone for how TOD would depart from Raiders.

Hmm. Twee? Childish?*

indiana.jpg

"I exist as a provocateur of intellectual stimulus. Squeak."

*See how hating TOD can only get you into trouble..?

Uki

Honestly, though, and not to argue with anyone here, but isn't Indiana Jones all about fun? These aren't life-altering films, they're fun movies that are meant to make you feel like a kid again. They all have their "childish" moments, and in my opinion, they're all great for it.

Darth Vile

The Man said:
Hmm. Twee? Childish?*

indiana.jpg

"I exist as a provocateur of intellectual stimulus. Squeak."

*See how hating TOD can only get you into trouble..?

5 seconds of gophers and a 30 second Tarzan swing doesn't equate to 3 minutes of Busby Berkley torture. How can one condemn anything in KOTCS whilst lapping up Indiana Jones does the TOD follies??? :p

AlivePoet

ResidentAlien said:
Sets the time? You mean like the vehicles, the poodle skirts, the drag racing, the aliens, the Russians and Area 51, the atomic bomb, the I Like Ike, all within the first 10 minutes? And then the diner fight 10 minutes later? Are you that dense that you need the tone and time set for you THAT OFTEN. It was a contrivance. None of the other films harped so heavily on the era in which it was set. Once Anything Goes is over, we're in India within 5 minutes and firmly divorced of all references to the era. KOCKS piles it on from second one with that annoyingly cheeky song and then the other cheeky references one after another.

Now maybe you're just so slow as to need to be clued in... that.. many... times...

But for the rest of us? It was pretty much beating a dead horse.

Bull****. I can say it too. Bull****.

You ignored every other valid point I made about the song, commenting only on the time era. You seem to be clueless as to what I'm hitting at here--the film's use of the song was clever on multiple levels and worked with the film.

I could care less about the time era, the song worked apart from setting this straight.

You can choose to ignore where the film is clever for eternity, it reflects only on your unceasingly unfailing ignorance. ;)

No Ticket

AlivePoet said:
You ignored every other valid point I made about the song, commenting only on the time era. You seem to be clueless as to what I'm hitting at here--the film's use of the song was clever on multiple levels and worked with the film.

I could care less about the time era, the song worked apart from setting this straight.

You can choose to ignore where the film is clever for eternity, it reflects only on your unceasingly unfailing ignorance. ;)

Nothing all that clever about just grabbing one random popular song from the 50s and playing it with a random car full of 50's teenagers who are "racing" a convoy for no reason other than to force feed the fact that it's the 1950s on you.

That being said, I thought the scene was well done... but it was pointless and it really wasn't "clever."

Anything Goes serves a purpose because it introduces us to a main character through the opening credits. It is not meant to introduce you to, Hey it's 1935... we already know what era it is anyway.

Bvance

No Ticket said:
Nothing all that clever about just grabbing one random popular song from the 50s and playing it with a random car full of 50's teenagers who are "racing" a convoy for no reason other than to force feed the fact that it's the 1950s on you.

That being said, I thought the scene was well done... but it was pointless and it really wasn't "clever."

Anything Goes serves a purpose because it introduces us to a main character through the opening credits. It is not meant to introduce you to, Hey it's 1935... we already know what era it is anyway.

YES, Yes, Yes, hit the nail right on the head. When you think of the scene as being clever, Anything Goes is much more clever than Hound Dog.

Bvance

The Man said:
Bill Haley?

I think so, his version was released in 1954.

Then while Indy is talking to Mutt in the diner there plays Wake up little Suzie by the Everly Bros. and other songs play but I can't remember what they are.

No Ticket

Bvance said:
YES, Yes, Yes, hit the nail right on the head. When you think of the scene as being clever, Anything Goes is much more clever than Hound Dog.

Yeah, an example of clever was when Indy grabbed Willie and threatened to killer her, telling Laou, "Anything Goes."

Bvance

No Ticket said:
Yeah, an example of clever was when Indy grabbed Willie and threatened to killer her, telling Laou, "Anything Goes."

Clever and Witty. (y) Typical Indy fashion.

Forbidden Eye

Is it just me, or is the part where the dancers take out the red cloth from the clothes a foreshadowing for the heart-ripping scenes?

I can understand why the Anything Goes opening can have a "WTF" reaction on the original viewing, but the more you watch it, the more you see what a good narrative the opening it really is. It introduces and describes Willie the same way the bar scene in Raiders introduced Marion.

michael

Forbidden Eye said:
Is it just me, or is the part where the dancers take out the red cloth from the clothes a foreshadowing for the heart-ripping scenes?
I'm sure it was. The actual pulling out the heart is the cherry on top of the whole going darker experience.

Anything Goes is definitely my choice, how could it not be? All they did was choose a staple song of the 50s and throw it in. Why not let Williams decide for us what it should be?(and yes I know Anything Goes isn't a Williams original) I mean I don't think Williams would take an opening scene of an Indiana Jones movie, that has been 19 years in the making so to speak, lightly.

When first watching Crystal Skull, and I've only seen it once. I was almost shocked that they played a song like that. I have nothing against the song, but it didn't feel "Indy." Almost as a tone setter, I felt as though something was not right. When the movie finally got going, I settled in, and looking back on it I don't actually mind it anymore, although a Williams piece would have been better I think.

Shake, Rattle & Roll though, was perfect! It was only a short clip of it, but it worked sooo well. I'm sure most would agree with me on that regardless of their views on Crystal Skull.

AlivePoet

No Ticket said:

Did you read my post from the first page? Damn, you guys are either blind or you refuse to consider the idea that this song might have a purpose besides force-feeding the fact that it's the 50s.