DK Ultimate Guide

TalonCard

We definitely need a definitive chronology. The problem with Indiana Jones, unlike Star Wars, is that that academic schedules and real-world travel times circa 1930 need to be taken into account. Indy can't just hop off to Egypt for the weekend!

Is there any source that gives month and year dates for the new Young Indy DVDs in the proper sequence? The DVDs themselves, maybe?

I see that the "Xolmec's Raiders" Marvel storyline gets three different dates! The timeline lists it as Semptember, 1936, while the Raiders section says it's both "Years later" from the March, 1936 date for the opening of Raiders and 1937 in Sallah's section. They can't all three be right... :p

I've titled my timeline "Indiana Jones and the Timeline of Doom". Seems fitting... ;)

TC

Stoo

TalonCard said:
Is there any source that gives month and year dates for the new Young Indy DVDs in the proper sequence? The DVDs themselves, maybe?

I see that the "Xolmec's Raiders" Marvel storyline gets three different dates! The timeline lists it as Semptember, 1936, while the Raiders section says it's both "Years later" from the March, 1936 date for the opening of Raiders and 1937 in Sallah's section. They can't all three be right... :p

I've titled my timeline "Indiana Jones and the Timeline of Doom". Seems fitting... ;)
What's even worse is that the DVD timeline included in the Bonus Features doesn't even match the DVDs! That's bad.(n)
Not a big surprise that "Xolmec's Raiders" (GREAT story!) has 3 dates. What a mess!:eek: Your timeline name is very a propos.

Lao_Che

TalonCard said:
We definitely need a definitive chronology. The problem with Indiana Jones, unlike Star Wars, is that that academic schedules and real-world travel times circa 1930 need to be taken into account. Indy can't just hop off to Egypt for the weekend!

TC

Indiana Jones and the Bad Dates surely? ;)

TalonCard

The retcons continue...here, and in the new Young Adult Raiders novel, Indy's anachronistic Ark-smashing bazooka is described as a "prototype granade launcher". I'm impressed; they're really trying here...

TC

Indy fan 235

I finally got to take a look at this book last night and I must say it's pretty great. I was surprised and delighted to see they had a page or two about the collectibles. That was pretty cool.

iLUVINDY

I got the Ultimate Guide Collectors Edition in the mail yesterday and I have to say..... i was kinda bumed out. The "Leather" cover feels and looks more like rubber then leather. The HQ pics are awesome and amazing. But would of preferred the cover to be more like the "Lost Journal"(n)

Mothy

I got the DK Ultimate Guide a few days ago. It is worthy of a purchase, DK always put together a good, detailed book.

TalonCard

Did you see the KOTCS head buried beneath the jungle in the Raiders illustration? It's marked "remnant of a lost civilization" or something like that. ;)

TC

Katarn07

I got this book as a gift from the teacher I aided for this past month of school. It's pretty cool. I think the fact she knew to get me an Indy thing is cooler than the book itself! I agree on those diagrams. I didn't really look them all over that well.

Goonie

I got the book a couple of days ago. I love the cutaway diagrams of Pankot Palace and the various temples in the movies, however it is missing these for Crystal Skull. Maybe, hopefully, a future edition may have diagams for the Chauchilla Cemetery with Orellana's tomb and for Akator.:cool:

michael

Goonie said:
I got the book a couple of days ago. I love the cutaway diagrams of Pankot Palace and the various temples in the movies, however it is missing these for Crystal Skull. Maybe, hopefully, a future edition may have diagams for the Chauchilla Cemetery with Orellana's tomb and for Akator.:cool:
BUMP!

Ok, so I finally bought this. Don't know what took so long, but I did.

Ok, you mention those diagrams, YES, they are amazing. My favorite would probably be the Grail Temple. It's just a gorgeous look of it.

Stoo

Good for you, Michael! Better late than never.:)

The diagrams alone are worth the price of the book and fun to pore over. Whoever was hired to do those illustrations must have had a blast drawing them. Anyone know the artist?s name?:confused:

michael

Stoo said:
Good for you, Michael! Better late than never.:)

The diagrams alone are worth the price of the book and fun to pore over. Whoever was hired to do those illustrations must have had a blast drawing them. Anyone know the artist’s name?:confused:
I don't have it handy and will check it later if nobody responds.

The missing two Sankara stones that were placed in (oooh so close Thuggees), I wonder if that was something the artist was allowed to do, I'm guessing Lucas didn't give a sh!t where they were located.

But you're right though, he must've had a blast.

The Drifter

michael said:
I don't have it handy and will check it later if nobody responds.

The missing two Sankara stones that were placed in (oooh so close Thuggees), I wonder if that was something the artist was allowed to do, I'm guessing Lucas didn't give a sh!t where they were located.

But you're right though, he must've had a blast.

Yes, I loved looking at those! I sat there one day and looked at them for a few hours. And, the missing Sankara Stones being so close to where the Thuggee were digging was a great little touch.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
The diagrams alone are worth the price of the book and fun to pore over. Whoever was hired to do those illustrations must have had a blast drawing them. Anyone know the artist?s name?:confused:

The acknowledgement facing the title page reads: "Cutaway artworks by Richard Bonson and Richard Chasemore".

I'm also a big fan of that kind of art, and as with the Star Wars cutaway location and ship books, I can spend ages poring over them.

Kooshmeister

I have a couple of criticisms, because I'm a whiny loser who nitpicks way too much:

1. The book refers to Pat Roach's character in Last Crusade as a steward. His role is no mystery. He's called "Gestapo" in the credits. So how did James Luceno make this boo-boo?

2. This is a mistake everyone makes, but the guns used in the tank chase aren't Lugers, they're Walther P38's. The only character who wields a Luger in that sequence is Vogel. The weapon Indy shoots through three guys with, and tosses down to Henry, is a P38.

Beyond this, I liked the guide immensely although it could've used some more info on Dietrich. And despite using the comic book adaptations of the films, I'm also disappointed Luceno didn't use Vogel's first name Ernst given in the comic.