20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

RedeemedChild

20000_leagues_under_the_sea_1954.jpg

According to various news blogs Disney has recruited David Fincher to take viewers on a Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back-esque trek back 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea!

As some of you may know Fincher is the man behind the Bourne Ultimatum series.

Here is the new tag line story plot: "
?A fugitive whaler teams up with a naturalist, a mysterious woman and a captain of a futuristic submarine, to search for a lost underwater civilization that holds libraries of vast knowledge and a weapon with the power to destroy mankind.?

The movie is said to be a origin story of Captain Nemo and his Nautilus.

Joe Brody

I applaud Fincher's involvement. He knows gritty and this film has to be gritty to work.

None of that Hell Boy/League of Extraordinary Gentleman type CGI. . . .

As for the origin story, screw that. What's wrong with whaler's vs. Nemo just like the original? There's so much potential there even without the giant squid.

Just have the whaling ship be named H.M.S. something that starts with a 'B' and a 'P' and you've got a story to tell.

AndyLGR

I'm a big fan of the original, and this potential new version sounds interesting. However, its another in a long line of remakes from Hollywood.

Finn

Staff member
AndyLGR said:
However, its another in a long line of remakes from Hollywood.
Can you call something that has its roots in classic literature a 'remake'?

If that's the case, we've seen, for example, tons of Hamlet remakes ever since people discovered cinematography. That'd also make the new Robin Hood a remake of a remake of a remake of a...

Heh, at least this'd mean that the trend of remakes is not exactly new. Only complaining about 'em is.

RedeemedChild

Joe Brody said:
I applaud Fincher's involvement. He knows gritty and this film has to be gritty to work.

None of that Hell Boy/League of Extraordinary Gentleman type CGI. . . .

As for the origin story, screw that. What's wrong with whaler's vs. Nemo just like the original? There's so much potential there even without the giant squid.

Just have the whaling ship be named H.M.S. something that starts with a 'B' and a 'P' and you've got a story to tell.

Well I'm excited that this is an origin story because I've always wanted to know more about Captain Nemo's past and how he came to be.

It was quite clear that Disney was aiming for 20,000 Leagues when POTC: Dead Man's Chest was released as I understood Davy Jones to be an alter-ego of Captain Nemo and the Kraken an obvious reference to the Giant Squid.

Nevertheless Disney has made it clear the movie will not be "gritty" but "dark" as in LOTR "dark" as this is a deeper look at who Captain Nemo is, where he hails from and where he is going.
I'm quite excited and joyous over this because I enjoy Jules Verne's books and this is more the way Disney needs to go following in the path of Pirates of the Caribbean.

I only hope this film will be a co-production between Mr. Fincher and Guillermo Del Toro.

TheMutt92

All you had to do was say "directed by David Fincher" and I would've already bought my ticket... the fact that it's 20,000 Leagues just makes it all the much better :D

TheMutt92

Competition...?

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/17...wn-20000-leagues-under-the-sea-movie-for-fox/

Now there are two 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea films. Just over the weekend we heard that Disney has been quietly re-developing the film version that was sunk last year. Instead of McG directing, this one may have David Fincher at the helm.

Here?s where it gets complicated. Fox also has an adaptation of Jules Verne?s classic story in the works, and has Ridley and Tony Scott developing the film through their company, Scott Free.

THR reports that the man currently being targeted to direct is Timur Bekmambetov, but that deal isn?t set. He?s This script is by Travis Beacham (Clash of the Titans) and the story is that Beacham approached Scott Free with his take on the story, and the company then took the project to Fox.

Stoo

RedeemedChild said:
Well I'm excited that this is an origin story because I've always wanted to know more about Captain Nemo's past and how he came to be.
Yeesh...You don?t need a Disney movie to find out the origins of Captain Nemo! Just read ?Mysterious Island?.:gun::whip:

Orginally, Nemo had no origin (the name means ?no one? in Latin). Verne wanted him to be a Polish nobleman but his publisher & friend, Jules Hetzel, dissuaded him for political reasons. In the sequel to ?20,000 Leagues?, the novel ?Mysterious Island?, he is revealed to be Prince Dakkar from India and his backstory is told. The backstory is also given extensive, full-blooded screen time in the 1916 film version of ?20,000 Leagues? because it covers both that story and ?Mysterious Island?.

As much as I despise ?Extraordinary League of Gentlemen?, a good job was done with the portrayal of Nemo?s look & appearance. Same with the 1916 version (although James Mason is still my favourite).
RedeemedChild said:
...as I understood Davy Jones to be an alter-ego of Captain Nemo and the Kraken an obvious reference to the Giant Squid.
:confused: Either you don?t understand Nemo?s character or you don?t know what ?alter ego? means.:rolleyes: And?um?the Kraken are part of ancient mythology. Double:rolleyes::rolleyes:
RedeemedChild said:
I'm quite excited and joyous over this...
How 'excited and joyous' are you?
AndyLGR said:
I'm a big fan of the original, and this potential new version sounds interesting. However, its another in a long line of remakes from Hollywood.
Which original? Nemo has appeared in film innumerable times but this will be the 5th live-action take on ?20,000 Leagues?. ?Mysterious Island? has an even higher number of treatments (live-action) and there are many other non-Verne movies with Cpt. Nemo & the Nautilus. I have almost all of them. Remakes are nothing new...
Finn said:
Can you call something that has its roots in classic literature a 'remake'?

If that's the case, we've seen, for example, tons of Hamlet remakes ever since people discovered cinematography. That'd also make the new Robin Hood a remake of a remake of a remake of a...

Heh, at least this'd mean that the trend of remakes is not exactly new. Only complaining about 'em is.
Indeed. This isn?t even a remake. It?s another adaptation with a plot somewhat similar to the Michael Caine version (1 of the 2 from made-for-TV movies in 1997).
Mutt92 said:
Competition...?
AWESOME! Ridley Scott? Bring it on. The more Verne, the better!(y)