High Road to China

Raiders90

You know, Tom Selleck actually had a chance to be a big time star, but forsook it for Magnum PI fans.

As some may know, Magnum, PI was to end in 1987, with Magnum being shot and killed. That episode aired in April '87 and fans went nuts (not in a good way). At the time, Magnum had just established a film career with Three Men and a Baby, which became the highest grossing movie of 1987 both domestically and worldwide. He had a bunch of movie offers coming in, very lucrative ones from what I hear, but decided to put them on hold make a last season of Magnum, PI to please the fans who were upset about the original ending. So the original ending was changed so that he didn't die.

By the time he was through with Magnum PI, it was May 1988 and most of the good film offers had gone to other actors, and he was stuck getting whatever he could get.

Stephen Jared

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Two thoughts about Selleck: One, he has had a great career. He's been working for so many years in a business where most come and go quickly. I would imagine having to lose Indiana Jones has been a wound that won't heal, but I don't know. I'm guessing he has a very rich life outside of acting. Two, even if he had dropped Magnum earlier, I doubt he would have been as big a star as Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise or some of the other huge stars. He's been a somewhat rugged, classically handsome American man -- during a time when that hasn't been so fashionable. If he'd been around in the 30s/40s he'd have given Clark Gable a run for his money. He's a throwback to an earlier era. It's just who he is, what he looks like -- it's why Spielberg and Lucas thought he'd be a great Indy.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Don't be fooled, dudes! The English version isn't legitimate. It's bullsh*t and obviously pulled together & modified from the 2003 Indiana Jones DVDs.

Some PIRATE, (who can't even properly align the bottom blurb to match with the rest of it) tried to to make a fake cover. It's badly done. Not to mention the attempt at the sh*t title on top. Look at it! It's garbage!(n)

That tallies with the sole customer review of it on Play.com:

The film is great but the DVD copy picture quality and sound track were disappointing - the picture is grainy and you can hear the projector machinery on the sound track (very distracting).

I like the film and will search for another copy.

Le Saboteur

Can the needless "...DVD or Blu?" be stripped from the title?

I have yet to see this, but have been looking forward to eventually watching it since learning of it here. You can the see the full movie over at Youtube, but I'd rather wait for an official release. For now though, here's a high-qualty trailer.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s7A7OUE6rFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sea Monarch

So, looking forward to picking this up. Been a fan of Selleck's and adventure for a while, but still haven't seen this yet. Probably be one of the few I buy full price, and being sight unseen. Pretty sure I'll dig it, but I'l keep expectations reasonble, just incase.

Stoo

Stephen Jared said:
Thanks so much for posting! I love this movie. Have been waiting forever for a good version. It's not a perfect movie at all. Some of what was supposed to come off as humorous banter gets a little nasty. Brian Blessed, who's an amazing actor, is a little hard to buy as an Afghan. But it's still great.

It's probably more of a romantic movie than an adventure. Anyone looking for Indy-type action adventure might look elsewhere.

John Barry's score is another element that makes this film such a pleasure.

Also, sorry for the name-dropping, but I had the great fortune of meeting Selleck a little over a year ago, and I told him what a fan I am of this, and asked why it's not available in the US. He said he's very proud of the film -- but also seemed to sincerely not realize a US version had yet to be made available.

Robert Morley's in this. He goes back to The African Queen, and one of my other favorite adventure films -- the TV movie Around the World in Eighty Days with Pierce Brosnan.
Hello, Stephen, my friend.:hat: Cool that you had a chance to talk to Selleck about this film!:D

Last month, I watched "High Road" again (because of this thread) and within 5 minutes, was thinking, "They don't make 'em like this anymore".

I noticed that Wolf Kahler (Col. Dietrich from "Raiders") is in it very briefly as the German pilot. The Robert Morley parts are rather silly and were, supposedly, added to the film later. (The 1st time I saw Morley was in 1978, in "Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?"). Brian Blessed as the Afghan chief doesn't bother me.

Indeed, John Barry's score is beautiful but the biggest praise I can bestow upon this movie is Bess Armstrong and her back'n'forth banter with Selleck. I actually prefer her character much more than Marion Ravenwood. She is wittier, braver and (in my opinion) much prettier!(y)

@Le Saboteur and Sea Monarch: Hope you guys enjoy it but, as has been said, don't expect Indy-type action/adventure. Keep your expectations low in that department.

Stephen Jared

Hey Stoo,
Good to hear from you. Quick Bess Armstrong story: I agree with you about her in this film. She's amazing! The female lead in my book, Jack and the Jungle Lion, is based on Bess Armstrong from High Road. The book came out in 2010, but the story had been with me for many years. I wrote a draft in 1990! That's how long it goes back. Anyway, way back then I had a job recruiting audiences for screenings of new movies. I would go wherever crowds were and ask if people wanted to see an upcoming movie for free and offer their opinions. We weren't allowed to recruit anyone who worked in the entertainment industry. Most people around town knew this and industry types would generally steer clear of anyone with a pack of movie passes in their hands. So one day I'm in front of a movie theater, and here comes Bess Armstrong. I generally wouldn't approach a famous person while working or not. But I really wanted to tell her that she inspired this character in my story. I wasn't going to ask her to read it or anything, just wanted to flatter her. So I started toward her, and she saw my movie passes and said, "I'm sorry. I can't," and I said, "Oh, no, I don't want to recruit you. I know who you are. I just--" I was left stammering as she literally ran from me. It was a very sad little moment for me. I'll never forget that, standing there thinking, "Wow, I'm so pathetic that successful people literally run away upon seeing me." I just wanted to tell her she's great and I didn't get the chance.

I hope there are interesting bonus materials on the new dvd, something aside from just the film.

"They don't make 'em like this anymore" is exactly right.

Sea Monarch

Stoo said:
@Le Saboteur and Sea Monarch: Hope you guys enjoy it but, as has been said, don't expect Indy-type action/adventure. Keep your expectations low in that department.
Roger that Stoo. Thanks for the warning. After having read what many of you have said about this film on this, and other threads, I will approach seeing this movie without delusions of Spielbergian serial/action fantasy. Besides I enjoy Tom Selleck's acting alot, and this is the guy who was in Quigley Down Under.....but it's also the guy from Three Men and a Baby/Little Lady, and from Mr. Baseball. And It's the girl from Jaws 3-D, and the guy who always tried to make me feel guilty about not eating more oatmeal, right before metamorphisizing into a mutant spacebeast thing from hell.:) Yeah, you can say my expectations will be pretty sober.

Ultimately, I enjoy movies that take place in this period. And unlike more audiences these days, I don't panic, and suffer from ADD whiplash if a movie actually takes it's time to tell a good story, and isn't afraid to set a certain mood and feel for the audience, while not having to spell everything out. I will probably really like this one, I'm certain I'll love John Barry's music as always.

If only this movie had melting faces, and exploding/imploding heads at the end maybe, it too could have been nominated for Best Picture:D

Sea Monarch

Stephen Jared said:
. here comes Bess Armstrong. So I started toward her, and she saw my movie passes and said, "I'm sorry. I can't," and I said, I know who you are. I just--" I was left stammering as she literally ran from me. It was a very sad little moment for me. I'll never forget that, standing there thinking, "Wow, I'm so pathetic that successful people literally run away upon seeing me." I just wanted to tell her she's great and I didn't get the chance.

Maybe it was not really her, but someone who looks alot like her, and your telling a complete stranger "I know who you are. I just" freaked her out. Hope you didn't tell her "I know what you did last summer...":dead: :rolleyes:

Naah,just kidding;) That's cool you saw her in person, but is High Road to China really so bad a movie, that she's terrified of anyone who could possibly like it? I keed!;)

phantom train

Just recently saw High Road to China on DVD (for the first time ever), and was blown away - Truly amazing film! First of all, the 1920's time period was very well-done, i.e. the authentic costumes, WW I-era planes, etc.

Other great sequences included:

- The flapper party in the beginning, especially the scene when the B.A. character was dancing on a table (which was a far cry from her character as the conservative mother in the '90's show My So-called Life - LOL).

- The scene when the Tom Selleck character was attacking the camp in his bi-plane in order to free his friends; great action sequence, especially when he overturned the plane & his hapless "captor" fell out - LOL.

- Going along with this, all of the flying sequences with the bi-planes were truly stunning.

- The entire battle sequence at the end of the film when the BA character's father is defending his fortress from the enemy soldiers - very gripping.

- Excellent music/score throughout the film; though in some movies the score is forgettable, in this one the music really resonated.

Last edited:

Stoo

phantom train said:
Just recently saw High Road to China on DVD (for the first time ever), and was blown away - Truly amazing film!
Hooray, PhantomTrain!(y) Happy to hear that you were able to appreciate it 29 years later. (Did you buy the recent DVD release or rent it?:confused:)
phantom train said:
Excellent music/score throughout the film; though in some movies the score is forgettable, in this one the music really resonated.
So true. John Barry's score is sublimely eloquent and deserves all the praise it gets.
Mickiana said:
I can recommend the book as well. A really exciting and moving read.
Nice addition to this thread, Mickiana!:hat: Is there much difference between the novel and the film?
---
"High Road to China" is much more Indy-ish than films about stupid Superheroes, G.I. Joes, Terminators, Ghostbusters, Bill & Teds, Hobbits, etc. (which unfortunately dominate the Raven's film section). For anyone who hasn't seen "High Road" yet, take a break from the crap and watch this movie.:gun:

Mickiana

Nice addition to this thread, Mickiana!:hat: Is there much difference between the novel and the film?

The movie is a good precis of the book by Jon Cleary. As always, the book's story is more complex and more involved. Apparently, it was based on some manuscripts of real life adventures of a relative of Jon Cleary. It was given to him and because it was patchy he took license to use what he could and flesh out a damn good story.

It has everything - adventure, romance, love, death all well written into a fast paced, riveting and nostalgic tale of flying those flimsy planes across the world to exotic places and encountering a great array of people and situations. The fact that it is partly based on someone's actual life makes it pretty special.

phantom train

Stoo said:
Hooray, PhantomTrain!(y) Happy to hear that you were able to appreciate it 29 years later. (Did you buy the recent DVD release or rent it?:confused:)QUOTE]

Hey, Stoo. Actually, I got the DVD out of my local library.

Despite the film being 29 years old it still holds up well today. I think a lot of this is that, like the IJ films, this is a period piece that is set years before the decade that the film was actually released. So, while a lot of great films that came out in the '80's look dated these days (i.e., Fast Times at Ridgemont High, any of the John Huges films, etc.), IMHO High Road to China seems timeless, and isn't considered an '80's film, but rather an adventure film set in the '20's that just happened to have been filmed/released in the '80's....

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
Can the needless "...DVD or Blu?" be stripped from the title?

Bueller? Bueller?

Stoo said:

"The ox is slow, but the earth is patient."

I rarely expect things to live up to the breakneck pace of, say, Raiders, but I am glad some time passed between me posting in this thread and finally getting around to seeing it.

High Road to China definitely didn't suck; it is a very solid adventure movie that owes more to the David Lean-esque epic than the frenetic pace of the serial adventure. The problems the film does have can be attributed to the fact that it wanted to straddle both of those pillars rather than embracing one. Even the poster is more Lawrence of Arabia than Raiders of the Lost Ark.

While I would have liked to see some actual on-location shooting -- Yugoslavia & England don't cut it -- the filmmakers did a good job replicating Central Asia with what they had! There were a couple of moments when even I was doubting myself!