Hule'ia Falls

InexorableTash

Just got back from kayaking/hiking around Hule'ia Falls, the stand-in location for a river in Peru where Indy had to dive in to the river and swim to Jock's plane to evade some angry Hovitos.

I flew my geek flag and wore a straw fedora ("officially licensed"!) and brought a 9' nylon bullwhip (c/o dangerman on COW). The rest of the group was... unimpressed until I did some cracking. That got some applause from the Hovitos, er, normal folk. No time for the actual rope swing, alas, but my son and I did some swings into a pool further into the jungle.

Now sipping a Mai Tai while my son frolicks in the ocean and the wife enjoys the spa. Life's tough!

Unimpressive pictures pending connectivity!

Stoo

Hope you're having a good time, Tash, and looking forward to seeing the photos (not matter how 'unimpressive' they may be).;)

InexorableTash

Mickiana said:
Did someone play the treacherous Barranca for your whip cracking demo?

Alas, no, didn't think of that. Totally could have nailed it, too. Next time for sure!

Here's the bank of the Hule'ia. On the extreme left edge of the photo you can just make out a dangling rope. When we got here with our kayaks some kids were playing on it, but they'd left by the time we returned from our hike.

For reference, Kipu Ranch (where the chase down the grassy hillside was filmed) and Kipu Falls (I believe where the Barranca disarm was filmed) is about a kilometer to the west. I'm not certain, though, and happy to be corrected.

Here's the least-worst picture of the whip cracking. Everything is blurry except the whip!

(For reference, here's what a professional was able to take)

And finally, here's an establishing shot. In hindsight, there's no reason I couldn't have grabbed a victim, er, volunteer to participate in the whippery:

In my defense, I was hoping we'd come to a more open area later and I could give some lessons, but this was the best spot we came across, and I was having to aim my cracks to avoid getting hung up in the vines. The whip also dragged through the water when I let it down; as a side benefit, each crack generated a huge puff of spray from the popper which was unexpectedly impressive to the audience.

But anyway... lots of fun, and now I know I could play it up a lot more and engage with the rest of the group. Next time, I'll even wear pants. :)

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Here's the bank of the Hule'ia. On the extreme left edge of the photo you can just make out a dangling rope. When we got here with our kayaks some kids were playing on it, but they'd left by the time we returned from our hike.

WOW, Tash! You actually made it to the spot where Indy swung on the vine. Getting there by kayak must have been a blast! AWESOME!(y)
InexorableTash said:
No time for the actual rope swing, alas, but my son and I did some swings into a pool further into the jungle.
With your whip?:confused::whip:

P.S. Any chance you visited the volcanoes?