Hot Toys Indiana Jones Figure

Dig Site 1138 said:
So, apart from Indy, Toht, Belloq and Henry Sr., (and Short Round? )who would you most like to see as the next action figure from Hot Toys/Sideshow ?

How about the ladies - Marion, Willie and Elsa?

Montana Smith

Three days to go until we hopefully get to see an image.

What do we expect?

To quote from Action Figure Pics:

With the DX designation, I think it means we’ll be getting a PERS (parallel eyeball rolling system) version of Indy, with a ton of accessories too.

DX also usually means multiple outfits –

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2010/12/hot-toys-indiana-jones-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-teaser

The eyes are a fantastic innovation (a huge leap forward from the old Eagle Eye GI Joe/Action Man). Glass with fully detailed irises perfect for giving an individual look to suit a diorama.

This should be the figure that I've been waiting so many years for. A real ultimate Indy. With Hot Toys I feel much easier justifying the outlay of cash.

Apart from Medicom's Mutt (which is ironically my favourite Medicom figure from the Indy line), Medicom are generally the great pretender to 1/6 quality. Too many misses with their hits. Way too skinny, rubbery sculpts, and often too short to display with other 1/6 figures.

Sideshow are good, with more detailed and harder sculpting, but their bodies have been floppy, skinny, and the heads sometimes oversized.

Hot Toys, however, have never failed to impress me from images, and in hand. Their quality is top notch, the detail so fine, that I don't like to handle them much. I pose them, and I leave them. (I just wouldn't buy anything with their rubber bodies or suits).

Dig Site 1138

I have serious mixed feelings. Hot Toys figures are fantastic. No mistake. The Pirates of the Caribbean figures they did were eerily lifelike.

They are also expen$ive.

On top of that, I feel sort of invested in the Sideshow figures I already have.

It sounds stupid, but I'm sort of finding this stressful. :(

Montana Smith

Dig Site 1138 said:
I have serious mixed feelings. Hot Toys figures are fantastic. No mistake. The Pirates of the Caribbean figures they did were eerily lifelike.

They are also expen$ive.

On top of that, I feel sort of invested in the Sideshow figures I already have.

It sounds stupid, but I'm sort of finding this stressful. :(

I'm glad I only bought one Sideshow Indy, and only two too many Medicoms.

My Star Wars Sideshow loyalty is much stronger, and I couldn't afford to go all Hot Toys with that line!

UIMJ

I've got most of the Hot Toys Iron Men and they are terrific. Ironically, the best one is actually the Mark I because it's not just an armor sculpt, but an actual Hot Toys figure inside of Mark I armor.

I love the Medicom stuff, but I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Dig Site 1138

Montana Smith said:
I'm glad I only bought one Sideshow Indy, and only two too many Medicoms.

My Star Wars Sideshow loyalty is much stronger, and I couldn't afford to go all Hot Toys with that line!

I'm warming up to the idea of a Hot Toys line, I just hope that:

a) my bank account can handle it and
b) they do a full line and not like 3 and done.

I don't own any Medicom. I had a preorder for the Rocketeer v 2.5, but had to cancel it when I was downsized a couple years ago. :(

Is it true they're kinda short? Are they still using the old GIJoe based body?

Montana Smith

Dig Site 1138 said:
I'm warming up to the idea of a Hot Toys line, I just hope that:

a) my bank account can handle it and
b) they do a full line and not like 3 and done.

That's the catch. Which is why I hope they only do one! (Or leave =very big gaps between them!)

Dig Site 1138 said:
I don't own any Medicom. I had a preorder for the Rocketeer v 2.5, but had to cancel it when I was downsized a couple years ago. :(

Is it true they're kinda short? Are they still using the old GIJoe based body?

I don't know what they based it on, but as a jointed body they're good, just very slight compared to most other makes. Medicom Mutt happened to be tallish for a Medicom, so he's okay with Sideshow Indy. Medi ROTLA Indy had a terrible face, even compared to Hasbro versions.

I.M.J.

Montana Smith said:
That's the catch. Which is why I hope they only do one! (Or leave =very big gaps between them!)

I don't know what they based it on, but as a jointed body they're good, just very slight compared to most other makes. Medicom Mutt happened to be tallish for a Medicom, so he's okay with Sideshow Indy. Medi ROTLA Indy had a terrible face, even compared to Hasbro versions.

I thought the standard Medicom Indy head was pretty good, while the Crystal Skull Indy head left a lot to be desired, no?

The problem with the diverse licensing of the Indy IP for 12" is that ever company has to produce a "definitive" Indiana Jones and the lines usually peter out before experiencing any diversity.

Depending on how good the Hot Toys figure looks though, I might actually sell my Sideshow Indy towards the Hot Toys. I don't usually do that, but I don't want to keep buying what is essentially the same figure.

Besides, the body on the Sideshow Indy is pretty awful, and the 5 o'clock shadow on the head sculpt looks more like a bad wolfman beard.

Montana Smith

I.M.J. said:
I thought the standard Medicom Indy head was pretty good, while the Crystal Skull Indy head left a lot to be desired, no?

The problem with the diverse licensing of the Indy IP for 12" is that ever company has to produce a "definitive" Indiana Jones and the lines usually peter out before experiencing any diversity.

Depending on how good the Hot Toys figure looks though, I might actually sell my Sideshow Indy towards the Hot Toys. I don't usually do that, but I don't want to keep buying what is essentially the same figure.

Besides, the body on the Sideshow Indy is pretty awful, and the 5 o'clock shadow on the head sculpt looks more like a bad wolfman beard.

For the record, here's Medicom ROTLA Indy (he's so bad I hide him behind everyone else now):

DSCN3765.jpg

Sideshow ROTLA Indy is a much more life-like sculpt (even with his shiny sweaty face and neck). I was lucky with the Pro body on mine - it's tight and holds a pose (unlike my Lando who is really floppy):

DSCN3721.jpg

I really like Medicom Mutt:

DSCN3766.jpg

Medicom Young Indy, to the back or right of the photos, has never looked right. Just skinny and awkward with useless hands. I changed his really poor plastic shoes for DiD lace-up boots, but it doesn't really help much.

TheLostCrusader

as this is a joint venture between Sideshow and Hot toys I wonder if that means that the Sideshow line will come to a complete stop? I have all of the sidehow Indy figures and am totally looking forward to Hot Toys take on Indy, but unless Hot toys really improves on what sideshow has already done, I don't really see replacing the figures I already have Of Henry sr., Toht, or Belloq. I would love to see a Sallah, Marion, and Short Round however, as well as Mola Ram.

I.M.J.

Oh yeah, the paint job and googly eyes really stand out on him in those pix. I still love the Medicom Mutt and Henry Sr. though. The Crystal Skull Indy could've used a better head sculpt too as opposed to "random old guy". The Young Indy has an awful tan going on there too...

Dig Site 1138

Montana Smith said:
For the record, here's Medicom ROTLA Indy (he's so bad I hide him behind everyone else now):

DSCN3765.jpg

Sideshow ROTLA Indy is a much more life-like sculpt (even with his shiny sweaty face and neck). I was lucky with the Pro body on mine - it's tight and holds a pose (unlike my Lando who is really floppy):

DSCN3721.jpg

I really like Medicom Mutt:

DSCN3766.jpg

Medicom Young Indy, to the back or right of the photos, has never looked right. Just skinny and awkward with useless hands. I changed his really poor plastic shoes for DiD lace-up boots, but it doesn't really help much.

Medicom's Young Indy wasn't too bad, apart form his sort of "manga" hair. I agree, though, that Mutt is the best of the lot.

I.M.J.

Dig Site 1138 said:
Medicom's Young Indy wasn't too bad, apart form his sort of "manga" hair. I agree, though, that Mutt is the best of the lot.

Is the tan on Young Indy as crispy bacon looking as it appears in the picture above?

Montana Smith

I.M.J. said:
Is the tan on Young Indy as crispy bacon looking as it appears in the picture above?

He is dark, like ROTLA Indy, but they also gave him a dirty face which makes him look even more tanned. He has a silly painted on chin scar.

Young Indy's uniform makes his legs look even more skinny, the tunic bulks around his skinny waist, and the scarf is enormous. His original shoes looked like Ken's cast offs. Like his older self, he's condemned to stand at the back!

I got all three at much reduced prices. None of them merit the £99 UK price tag.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
HT Indy should be revealed sometime today...can't wait! :D

The word on the street (that is, on Sideshow Freaks), is that nothing should be expected until late Christmas Eve. Today is VIP day at the '10th Anniversary Exhibition in Tokyo', so leaked photos may be slow to emerge.

The suspense is killing.