TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
Pale Horse

Everything is a business model

It's a ruse, Hollywood doesn't create anything anymore. They steal it. Create a bogus contest, have a sheet load of contributions, pick and piece meal together a script and never have to pay out royalties or advance monies.

See ARGO: ergo, the golden fleece. You've all been duped.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #27
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
It's a ruse, Hollywood doesn't create anything anymore. They steal it. Create a bogus contest, have a sheet load of contributions, pick and piece meal together a script and never have to pay out royalties or advance monies.

See ARGO: ergo, the golden fleece. You've all been duped.

Hahaha, I figured as much... have you heard what amazon.com is up to lately? To the average joe studios.amazon.com must seem great... little do they know...
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #28
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Weird and frustrating.

The original page/link is still up. And the last few comments are people similarly griping about the delay.

Okay, a week-end is enough to read and choose the winners!

Let's get going, damnit!!!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
Moedred
Administrator

I suspect Mitch submitted his fantastic Indy 5 idea. I must confess, I saw little use for Excalibur until Mitch suggested ditching it on the moon. I had some extra space so I tacked that epilogue to the end of the first reel, as a means of getting Indy to Cape Canaveral, where the story begins. Actually it's my idea for Indy 6, and it's lying around here somewhere in pieces. I'll post the submission eventually. If I win, I vow to keep the under-publicized contest going for a chance to win the unopened package from Paramount! Unless Mitch wants it of course.

I try not to critique positive ideas from fans, since they seem to be in the minority outside our mostly sheltered environment, but here are some tips applicable to any rare opportunity to pitch something:
  • Don't forbid or insist upon the presence of any actor or character.
  • Don't write "insert $10 million chase sequence here." Specifics!
  • Don't vaguely suggest a time, place, character type, or sub-genre as "perfect" for the story. Why? What story?
  • Don't get too immersed describing a scene, reactions, dialogue, or significance. It's a pitch and the clock is ticking.
  • In fact, probably don't interpret significance at all.
  • Don't try to fill in all the blanks, especially with something as formulaic as Indy. If you're lacking a minor element, skip it.
  • Spoil the ending, but only after establishing why it's a fitting outcome.
My submission could very well have been the worst. These is just a response to the half-baked ideas which I find annoying. Of course others will reject as a whole ideas that aren't made airtight. Hopefully when results are posted we'll see 5 scenarios solid enough that critics will be forced to critique specifics while accepting the whole.

Update: "Reading through what feels like the same entry for Indy Blu-rays is making this take forever."

Last edited by Moedred : 09-24-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #30
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Update: "Reading through what feels like the same entry for Indy Blu-rays is making this take forever."

Glad to know it's under way.

I'd imagine that the same handful of ideas keep popping up. I'd be surprised if there weren't a lot of Spear of Destiny and Excalibur ideas in there.

(No offense to the above!)
Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #31
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Holy crap. I saw the winner of the Vanity Fair contest that Moerdred linke to on AICN.

That winning entry was crap!

Though, it did have the virtue of being one of a kind.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #32
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
That winning entry was crap!
It would help knowing who the judges were and what they're looking for!

If they wanted crazy...they should just say so!
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #33
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

So essentially this is what I sent the folks over at AICN.
Quote:
I submit that the next MacGuffin for an Indiana Jones film should be the death shroud of Jesus Christ. Not the shroud of Turin that the Vatican has, but the legitimate cloth.

Reasons for this: Knowing the story of the resurrection, it would be assumed that the shroud would resurrect the dead, that somehow after Christ was resurrected the shroud itself had the power to reanimate corpses. The applications for this could be endless. A group of neo Nazi's could try and resurrect Hitler. Soviets could try and resurrect Lenin. Our own American government could resurrect a genius like Einstein, (depending on what year the film is set in) or any one significant figure whose remains can be located. Indy himself might be interested in bringing back friends or family of his own since many have passed on.

But of course the dead that are reanimated would not come back the same (ala Pet Cemetery and other stories of that nature).

This also plays into the whole 50's B movie thing that George has now brought the franchise into with zombies of sorts, while also keeping it in the realm of the originals with a Biblical artifact. Also the series seems to skip from Judeo-Christian artifact to a non Judeo-Christian artifact every other movie. This would be an artifact that accomplishes the task of making all 5 films more "seemingly connected" than the 3 great ones from the 80's and that other one with the aliens.

Now I didn't spell out the scenario of the film because they were specifically asking just for the MacGuffin.

from AICN
Quote:
So it's very simple - what would be your MacGuffin of choice for INDY 5, and why would it work in the overall scope of films?

So I gave them their MacGuffin and some possible options on ways it could make a good story. I've found that when doing these sorts of pitches you give the folks in charge options so they can fill in their own blanks and make the perfect movie in their head with the pieces you've presented.

But it seems everyone else actually presented an outline of their whole film... which I guess was the death knell for me.

Anyway heres the winners, I'm not among them, through fault of my own.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58571
Old 09-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
So essentially this is what I sent the folks over at AICN.

I like this idea. Having Indy die on screen, then at the very end, see a silhouette of Indy putting on a hat etc would be a pretty perfect way to end the series. Having Nazis and Soveits together would be interesting, and while zombies are a bit overdone nowadays, having them in the Indy would has potential.

Quote:
Anyway heres the winners, I'm not among them, through fault of my own.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58571

Reading through those premises, which are essentially fan-fiction, it really gave me an even higher appreciate for both Temple and Kingdom.

Most people seem to want to just rehash Raiders/Last Crusade.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #35
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

I say this not out of bitterness (though I am EXTREMELY bitter) but...

These. F*cking. Suck.

Okay, that is not entirely fair.

The Jacob's Ladder idea feels very fresh (even though it is yet another Bible story. Yawn.)

Not only do two of the winners (including the "grand prize") use the hackiest, most unimaginative, oft-disucssed possibilities - the Spear of Destiny and the Garden of Eden, but THREE out of the five mention Neo-Nazis as the villains. Put those two crap ideas together and you get arguably the LEAST inspired ideas possible.

Neo-Nazis are a CRAP idea for a new Indy movie. Period. The Spear and Garden are lousy and unimaginative and utterly repetitive of Indy I and III.

Jacob's Ladder is admittedly interesting and there seems to be some cool ideas here. I genuinely like that one.

Another guy freely admits he swiped the idea from one of the Indy kiddie books. Bravo, sir, on your brazen plagiarism.

That idea is actually not terrible (though I think it would be hard to see as movie) and there are some okay ideas in the write-up. . As long as you don't mind the fact that he didn't come up with the idea himself.

And then we have the "comic" idea. Ho ho. Lucas is a boob. Yes, thank you for reiterating 90% of internet traffic going back for the past 15 years. You're a genius. In fairness, his write-up is modestly amusing, but utterly devoid of any new insight. And, of course, he isn't really playing by the rules.

Wow, I am genuinely surprised by how annoyed I am over this. I didn't care about winning and was honestly hoping to hear some clever, unexpected, out-side-the-box ideas.

Out of five, I think ONE of those qualifies. Two are the worst, most obvious ideas imaginable. One is a joke.

This contest is a joke.

Ugh.

Screw Billy the Kidd.

I'm actually sorry I entered.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #36
Pale Horse

You're welcome, Wesley.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #37
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
These. F*cking. Suck.
Ain't it cool?
Quote:
...start posting everyone who entered!
Lets see the contenders! Time to post your ideas...and maybe add a poll to this page to vote on each of the winning entries.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #38
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
You're welcome, Wesley.

The Horse did call it.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #39
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

As promised, here is my entry.

Have at it, folks....

Indiana Jones and the Undiscovered Country**

It’s 1960 and Indiana Jones has settled into a quiet life, embarking on a worldwide lecture tour with his wife and son. While in Paris, Dr. Jones is approached by a brash former archaeology student, LELAND.

Leland has information on how to obtain a rare copy of the Tibetan Book of the Dead which, he promises, will lead to a legendary beyul - a hidden Shangri La-esque utopia somewhere in the Himalayas, where the boundaries between the realms of life and death are at their most fragile.

Indy refuses to join Leland on his quest, but Mutt, having learned that Marion has recently been diagnosed with cancer – a secret she has been keeping from her family, goes with him, defying his father and bringing along Indy’s research. Having heard all about Indy’s adventures, Mutt hopes the mystical valley might contain a supernatural cure for his mother.

When his wife and son disappear without a trace, Indy is hot on the trail. The traitorous Leland, in cahoots with the Red Chinese, is desperate to find the beyul and uncover its powers.

No matter the outcome of the mission, Indy is confronted with the prospect of a profound loss. But he is desperate to shield his loved ones from the embrace of death for as long as possible. In the end, quests are abandoned, villains are vanquished, sacrifices are made and the Jones family learns the that the most precious treasure of all is life itself.

**Yes, I know the title was used in a Trek film, but it works much better here and has a nice double meaning.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #40
RaiderMitch
TR.N Staff Member

Thumbs down

Thanks. I did submit my story idea and had to chop it down to 250 words. Guess Ecalibur didn't make the cut (pun intended).
RaiderMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #41
RaiderMitch
TR.N Staff Member

Indiana Jones and the Sword of Kings

1961. JFK is obsessed with finding Excalibur. In the 1940s the sword was recovered by Joe Kennedy but was lost when he was killed.

The US Government recruits retired professor Indiana Jones. Indy turns them down, they ask "Mutt" to do it. Indy is urged by Marion to go with Mutt who is not "up to the challenge". Reluctantly, Indy goes.

In the jungles of Vietnam, Indy meets up with Chinese and Russian adventurers - after globe trotting chases - aboard subs, and a climatic ending at the North Pole - Indy recovers Excalibur - but Kennedy is acting very "power" mad when he gets it in his hands and talks about ruling the world. Indy takes Excalibur from Kennedy. It is too powerful for anyone on earth to wield. Kennedy agrees and says he will run the country without any mystical power protecting him. He tells Indy it would take a man of with a strong arm and pure spirit not take the magic sword and be tempted to use it. He assures Indy that Excalibur will be placed somewhere safe from mankind.

Indy and Mutt return home to Marion.

1969. The Moon. Neil Armstrong removes a box from the lander and reads a letter from JFK. He opens the box and takes Excalibur out. He holds it and stares at it, and then tosses it into the “sea of tranquility”. The lander blasts off and covers Excalibur under moon dust.
RaiderMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #42
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderMitch
The lander blasts off and covers Excalibur under moon dust.

Or.... the lander blasts off and shows Excalibur lying on top of a secret Nazi base that was hitherto covered up. Now zee Germans have Excalibur!!!
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #43
Henry Jones VII
IndyFan

Thumbs up

Quote:
As promised, here is my entry.

Have at it, folks....

Indiana Jones and the Undiscovered Country**

It’s 1960 and Indiana Jones has settled into a quiet life, embarking on a worldwide lecture tour with his wife and son. While in Paris, Dr. Jones is approached by a brash former archaeology student, LELAND.

Leland has information on how to obtain a rare copy of the Tibetan Book of the Dead which, he promises, will lead to a legendary beyul - a hidden Shangri La-esque utopia somewhere in the Himalayas, where the boundaries between the realms of life and death are at their most fragile.

Indy refuses to join Leland on his quest, but Mutt, having learned that Marion has recently been diagnosed with cancer – a secret she has been keeping from her family, goes with him, defying his father and bringing along Indy’s research. Having heard all about Indy’s adventures, Mutt hopes the mystical valley might contain a supernatural cure for his mother.

When his wife and son disappear without a trace, Indy is hot on the trail. The traitorous Leland, in cahoots with the Red Chinese, is desperate to find the beyul and uncover its powers.

No matter the outcome of the mission, Indy is confronted with the prospect of a profound loss. But he is desperate to shield his loved ones from the embrace of death for as long as possible. In the end, quests are abandoned, villains are vanquished, sacrifices are made and the Jones family learns the that the most precious treasure of all is life itself.

**Yes, I know the title was used in a Trek film, but it works much better here and has a nice double meaning.

I liked it, good job.
Henry Jones VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #44
replican't

Indiana Jones And The End Of The Point

America, 2012

A pale middle aged man is lying in bed snoring. He suddenly farts explosively and wakes up with a start.

A cgi mouse pokes its head out of the skirting board and wrinkles its nose to camera, in comedy fashion.

The man scratches his head, yawns, gets out of bed, walks over to the computer in the corner of the room. Its monitor is displaying Theraider.net subforum INDIANA JONES 5.

He switches the computer off and goes back to bed.

The comedy mouse reappears and shrugs.

The end.

Last edited by replican't : 09-26-2012 at 07:52 AM.
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #45
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by replican't
Indiana Jones And The End Of The Point

America, 2012

A pale middle aged man is lying in bed snoring. He suddenly farts explosively and wakes up with a start.

A cgi mouse pokes its head out of the skirting board and wrinkles its nose to camera, in comedy fashion.

The man scratches his head, yawns, gets out of bed, walks over to the computer in the corner of the room. Its monitor is displaying Theraider.net subforum INDIANA JONES 5.

He switches the computer off and goes back to bed.

The comedy mouse reappears and shrugs.

The end.
You left out his arch enemy!

His creepy landlord with survailance equipment ghosting his online activity and flatulence so he can satisfy his depraved impuse to reclaim his lost virtue.

Now you've got something...
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #46
Archaeos
IndyFan

Interesting that all the submissions by Raveners are - in my view - really good, mature, and use a believable and appealing McGuffin.

Without me being acidic for its own sake, but everything that was on Ain't It Cool made it clear that the solution to Hollywood's quality issues isn't with the current generation of aspiring screenwriters (=AIC readers... scary thought).

I particularly liked how the submission of Jonathan Foster on AIC concludes with...
Quote:
[It] restores Indy’s and Marion’s Raiders youthful appearance (CGI!!) and reunites him with Sallah, Marcus Brody, Short Round, Belloq, and Allison Doody(CGI)!!
Riiight, so Allison Doody requires a CGI job, but Denholm Elliott is just waiting in the wings to reprise his role of Marcus... without any CGI needed for that feast...

We really need an Indy facepalm smiley... there is even space left for two new ones in the Smilies Box of the Reply to Thread writer. I will even say "PLEEAAAZZZE!1!"

Last edited by Archaeos : 09-26-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Archaeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #47
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderMitch
Indiana Jones and the Sword of Kings.

Such a rich and fitting story in it's own right. Too original for Hollywood, though. Certainly novel worthy.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #48
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeos
Interesting that all the submissions by Raveners are - in my view - really good, mature, and use a believable and appealing McGuffin.

Everything posted in this thread is better than everything that won.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #49
Pale Horse

Even the plagerized ones?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #50
Archaeos
IndyFan

Especially those!
Archaeos is offline   Reply With Quote