Firefly

jsarino

I'm a bit late on following this, but I recently started watching the series Firefly, which as I'm writing this, I'm halfway through its short run. Will watch Serenity soon after. Any fans of the series on here?

I wish I got into the show just before the St. Louis ComicCon, because half the cast (Nathan Fillion, Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk) were there! :(

Djd1

Fabulous show. I was lucky enough to go to the Edinburgh film festival the day after Serenity premiered there and meet the cast and Joss doing a signing at a local record store. Nathan, Summer and Monica then came to the matinee showing I attended, introduced the film and wandered around the audience handing out signed pictures. A really nice bunch of actors.

Montana Smith

It was a great series with a great cast. But a shame it ended after only one season and one film. :(

Summer Glau in particular is a really engaging actress.

If you want more there are Serenity comic books that are considered canon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_comics

And also the Serenity Role Playing Game, which is full of details and background.

Grizzlor

Yes it was a great show, really well done. Quite a shame it got yanked so early, but it was FOX after all.

Montana Smith

Grizzlor said:
Yes it was a great show, really well done. Quite a shame it got yanked so early, but it was FOX after all.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0oMTmtN7lHI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

jsarino said:
I've seen this article sometime ago, but it's amusing to read it again. :)

Firefly's 15 Best Chinese Curses (and How to Say Them)

Shiney! (y)

And behold the first officially licensed sixth scale Malcolm Reynolds:

http://store.qmxonline.com/Malcolm-Reynolds-16-Scale-Articulated-Figure_p_286.html#

QMx-FF-Articulated-Mal-2a.jpg

QMx-FF-Articulated-Mal-5.jpg

QMx-FF-Articulated-Mal-1a.jpg

QMx-FF-Articulated-Mal-2.jpg

I aim to misbehave.

? Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

QMx is excited to bring you the first screen-accurate, realistic, 1:6 scale, articulated collectible figure of Malcolm Reynolds, the always resourceful captain of the Firefly-class transport Serenity.

No effort was spared in the creation of this peerless replica of Captain Reynolds, the first in Quantum Mechanix?s line of realistic 1:6 scale figures of Firefly?s Big Damn Heroes. Standing 12 inches tall, every detail -- from Mal?s pistol to his suspenders -- was taken directly from QMx?s extensive library of screen-used costume and prop reference. This attention to detail is topped off by one of the most realistic renderings of actor Nathan Fillion ever done, created by world-renowned likeness sculptor, Trevor Grove.

Here are just a few of the dozens of special features that make the Malcolm Reynolds 1:6 Scale Articulated Figure a masterpiece:

?Fully Articulated Body: 38 points of articulation allow the figure to be displayed in multiple dynamic poses, closely mimicking the life-like gestures and stances of a real person who's been shrunk down to 1/6th of normal size.
?Realistic Portrait: The figure?s portrait has been sculpted by hand to capture not just a likeness, but the essence of Mal?s character. Paint and material are carefully chosen to faithfully represent how light reacts with skin and hair to push the realism even further.
?Browncoat: Pattern and fabric matched from original screen-used coat. Everything from the microsuede material to the brass buckles give this coat the heft and drape to move realistically with the figure.
?Button-Down Shirt: Authentically tailored to fit the articulated body like a real shirt.
?Tight Pants: Custom fit for thrilling heroics, these tight pants come complete with ?Solo? stripes on the sides.
?Suspenders: Gotta keep your tight pants up! These suspenders use real fabric and simulated leather to match the real thing.
?Boots: Mal?s boots are sculpted to look like heavy-grain, weathered leather and posed to showcase the wide confident stance of a ship?s captain.
?Gun Belt and Holster: Buckles, hardware and simulated leather are all cut to match the screen-used costume.
?Mal's Pistol: The Moses Bros? sidearm can sit in the holster or fit into the special plug-and-play ?shooting? hand.
?PAL Communicator: For when Mal needs to tell Jayne he?s standing right next to him.
?Left and Right Gloved Hands: Since 1:6 scale fingers are just too small to articulate in a convincing way, multiple posed hands are provided, each one easily swapped out.
?Left and Right Bare Fists: For the next time you find yourself in an Alliance-friendly bar come U-Day, looking for a quiet drink.
?Right Pistol Hand: Each hand is meticulously sculpted for not only correct anatomy, but also to hold the many accessories the figure can be displayed with. This one holds Mal?s trusty sidearm.
?Left Open Hand: Can hold a PAL in a pinch.
?Figure Display Base: To help the upright man stay that way.

QMx-DIRECT EXCLUSIVE!

?Lassiter Laser Pistol: Buy your Articulated Mal Figure direct from QMxOnline.com and you?ll get the bonus loot of one screen-accurate Lassiter and a modular hand to hold it with. It was Mal?s biggest haul ? plus a herd of 1:6 scale cows would have required a much bigger box!

From broad strokes to fine details, this wonderfully crafted collectible figure captures the unshakable character and spirit of Malcolm Reynolds. Your Firefly 1:6 scale figure collection begins here with QMx.

Expected to ship in late Q3 2014.

The key wording: "...the first in Quantum Mechanix?s line of realistic 1:6 scale figures of Firefly?s Big Damn Heroes."

Hoping this is successful enough that we'll at least get Kaylee and River.

jsarino

^^^...or Inara. ;) I did sign myself up for the waiting list for a Mal figure...thanks for the head's up! :)

Montana Smith

jsarino said:
^^^...or Inara. ;) I did sign myself up for the waiting list for a Mal figure...thanks for the head's up! :)

If they make them, I'll try to buy them all.

Didn't expect a company to take on licensed high-end sixth scale figures, considering Firefly only lasted a year, and that was over ten years ago.

But there's a hard core of loyal followers, and a general upsurge in interest in 1/6. Compared to the mighty Star Wars this will be a niche market with relatively small runs, but I hope we'll get all the regular crew and passengers of 'Serenity'.

jsarino

It is crazy that 12 years later, it's STILL being talked about today! There's a couple of people in the office that are planning on watching the series for the first time now.

Montana Smith

jsarino said:
It is crazy that 12 years later, it's STILL being talked about today! There's a couple of people in the office that are planning on watching the series for the first time now.

I started watching it again yesterday. It's still as fresh and as enjoyable as it was first time round.

On the commentary track for the pilot Joss Whedon said that when it comes to his characters he likes to create families that aren't related. And that's what drew me into Firefly. It's the relationships and the dialogue at the core of the stories and the situations that keep me so hooked I don't want to miss a second. It was the same with his Buffy and Angel series.

Another thing Joss mentioned was that Jayne was his 'Cordelia' - he'll just come right out and say what's on his mind without any thought of tact!

Mal is a vintage Han Solo / ROTLA/TOD Indy anti-hero who can shift from mean-spirited to jocular in a moment, and with no compunction about killing when necessary. I think Joss referred to him as the 'father' figure.

Inara, attached to high society and literally called an 'Ambassador' must be Whedon's Leia, his space princess. There's a similar Leia/Solo awkward infatuation going on as well. She also operates as a 'mother' figure.

And if Serenity is a version of the Millennium Falcon, then Book is an Alec Guinness figure aboard it.

I see Wash as a Xander character; River has a touch of Drusilla's insanity (but will become another very important character); Kaylee, on the surface, is a sweet Willow character; I find Simon the least interesting of them, but he's a stable centre point.

The Serenity itself is also a interesting character and location, just as the Falcon was in Star Wars.

jsarino

Montana Smith said:
I started watching it again yesterday. It's still as fresh and as enjoyable as it was first time round.

That's part of its appeal I think. It was well-written, just as watchable now as it ever was, and even if you're not a sci-fi fan, you can find something about this motley crew of a family that draws you in episode after episode.

Montana Smith

jsarino said:
That's part of its appeal I think. It was well-written, just as watchable now as it ever was, and even if you're not a sci-fi fan, you can find something about this motley crew of a family that draws you in episode after episode.

Exactly. And I find Joss Whedon's "tenth character" just as interesting.

When I was a kid I dreamt of being Han Solo travelling the universe in the Millennium Falcon. I mean literally dreamt, as I would imagine it vividly before going to sleep!

Then along came Mal's Serenity. Something about this ship's design and layout was even more inviting than the Falcon's. She may not be as fast, but I prefer Serenity. She combines the essence of the Falcon with something of the cargo hold and ramp from the Cheyenne dropship in Aliens.

While the Serenity role playing game has plans of the ship I went looking for more this morning and found this video, which, coincidentally, also has a cutway of the dropship:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tQM3R1hPFuI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(I have a thing for elaborately detailed cutaways, which I can probably assign to being given a Richard Scarry book at an early age!)

After QMX release their 1/6 Mal next up looks to be Jayne:

attachment.php

And last, but not least, here's the Firefly Cast Reunion Q&A from the 2014 Dallas Comic Con:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2rCNHVi0wRw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

jsarino said:
Thanks for posting these tidbits, Montana! Will check them out. :)

There's a little bit more news about the QMX figure series, with further confirmation that they're planning the whole crew.

It emerged from this exchange:

Lawrence said:
Who is in line to be the 1st lady from this line?

Stark Resilient said:
I think it's Zoe.. We've seen Jayne's head sculpt, so I'm assuming he's next. Zoe rounds out the three that usually go on the missions.

QMxAndy said:
That is the direction we're leaning at the moment, partly because she seems a natural with Jayne and Mal. Also, we could then move on to Wash and who doesn't want a Wash with tiny dinosaurs?

:hat:

S. Dakota Jones

jsarino said:

You still might be able to directly preorder one from bigbadtoystore.com http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=QMX10152&mode=retail

That's what I did :hat:

Pretty big Firefly fan here too, who like many didn't get interested in it until after the series ended. Watched it while deployed for the first time back in 2009. I have the QMX replica of Mal's pistol and will soon get Jayne's hat.

I'll probably pick up a couple but not all of the figures, Mal, Jayne, Inara, Zoe, maybe Wash lol.