Belloq's exploding head - uncensored

Udvarnoky

It's probably common knowledge around here that Spielberg had to super-impose a flame effect over the image of Belloq's head exploding at the end of Raiders to prevent the MPAA from giving the film an R rating. Images of the uncensored effect have emerged.

I can't guarantee this has never seen the light of day before, but it's new to me.

kongisking

This is a neat find. I've always wanted to see the uncensored version.

Funnily enough, the superimposed fire actually helps disguise the fakeness of the model head, making it actually a pretty legit-looking and disturbing head-implosion. (y)

russds

Nice! I love when 'new' indy stuff 'emerges'. Granted it's only a still photo, but still pretty interesting. Actually what's kind of more interesting is that he had to do the same thing in ToD, I remember hearing he had to have ILM add flames on the sacrifice being lowered into the lava pit because it was too graphic with out it. ToD and Raiders have suddenly become more similar. :)

Jo6GJd0.png

u3pgEQO.png

Finger's crossed that images, or film emerge of the sacrifice in ToD without added flames.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Art of the Scene - The Wrath of God in Raiders of the Lost Ark

In his script for Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lawrence Kasdan describes the opening of the Ark of the Covenant as "a preview of the end of the world." What came to be known as the Wrath of God scene, however, is as visually iconic and gruesomely memorable an ending as you can ask for. So how did the special effects team take a few vague but powerful lines and turn it into an Oscar winning, face melting sequence for the ages? To find out, we talked to the artists that made it happen, Joe Johnston, Richard Edlund, Karen Allen and Paul Freeman. This is Art of the Scene. Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the rare films that continues to get better as it goes. While Indiana Jones spends the films entire run time dodging boulders, avoiding snakes and single handedly hijacking truck caravans, the script by Lawrence Kasdan takes great pains to set up the danger that the Ark of the Covenant represents. Steven Spielberg and co knew they had to stick the landing when Rene Belloq cracks it open, so the team at Industrial Light and Magic set out to storyboard and shoot practical effects magic.