Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Archaeos

Sheet 19

0fz7.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3384/0fz7.jpg

Indy thought hard about what he had just researched? Sitagroi. A potential place where the Discus ? if it were real ? might have been. He was so immersed in his ideas, he didn't realise how he drifted past London's top sightseeing locales: Somerset House, the Savoy, a London Black Cab and a vintage Routemaster. "I need to thing about how the CHANGE over time? what's that? German? German! Of COURSE! ZE GERMANS!

Archaeos

Sheet 20

4nc5.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8990/4nc5.jpg

"Sitagroi is located in Macedonia ? at that ancient time a total backwater. I can't see the Discus being hidden there. Mythologically, that place wouldn't make a blip on Zeus' radar, and economically, it's not important enough to be so prominently mentioned in a scripted ancient story.

I need a second angle on that! And that is: how or where from did the SS get the manuscript from in the first place?

"What's the best place to research Nazi history? Britain, of course. This place is obsessed with the Nazis." While walking past Universal Export's office at Trafalgar Square, past MI5, Horse Guards Parade and Whitehall's Cenotaph, Indy was thinking of the tv documentary he endured once, 'Hitler's dog's carer ? her true story'. He was thinking about his own years serving in two world wars. The horrors he saw, endured and survived.

Archaeos

We've already touched on, but are now diving full on into The London Wish List for "Travelling Indy" from The Raider's The Raven...

...from Stoo:
1) With a Coldstream Guard or a Horse Guard.
2) Recreate the shot near Big Ben from the London episode of Young Indy.
3) Outside/Inside the University of London (where he taught in a couple of the novels).
4) Gandhi statue in Tavistock Square (Indy encountered Gandhi in a comic...and an unproduced TV episode).
5) Imperial War Museum!
6) WW1 Cenotaph in Whitehall.
7) The Herbert Johnson store near Piccadilly, either the one at 54 St James's Street or at 162 Piccadilly.
8) With the wax figure of Indy at Madame Tussaud's.
9) A photo with you, Archaeos!

...from Le Saboteur
1.) Aboard H.M.S. Victory
2.) 12 Downing Street
3.) The Sherlock Holmes Museum
4.) The clock tower at Hereford
5.) Aboard the Golden Hind
6.) the grave of Sir Richard Francis Burton
7.) Savile Row or Bond St.
8.) Thames House
9.) The Athenaeum's Library
10.) The Traveller's Club

I was able to tick off some of the requested places ? but some not. Apologies for that. But let's see first hand...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Has anybody with more time and creativity than me produced a redline map of his travels thus far? A--> B--> C ... ect?

inky_skin

Pale Horse said:
Has anybody with more time and creativity than me produced a redline map of his travels thus far? A--> B--> C ... ect?

Way back at the start we did have one, but it quickly became crowded. My pipe dream is too use readily available open-source mapping software to produce an interactive online map - to which we can add pictures from the various locations. Anyone know is there is a Google Maps layer (or similar) that would support this ?

inky_skin

Pale Horse said:
Has anybody with more time and creativity than me produced a redline map of his travels thus far? A-->B--> C ... ect?

Way back at the start we did have one, but it quickly became crowded. My pipe dream is to use readily available open-source mapping software to produce an interactive online map - to which we can add pictures from the various locations. Anyone know is there is a Google Maps layer (or similar) that would support this ?

russds

inky_skin said:
Way back at the start we did have one, but it quickly became crowded. My pipe dream is to use readily available open-source mapping software to produce an interactive online map - to which we can add pictures from the various locations. Anyone know is there is a Google Maps layer (or similar) that would support this ?

Google maps has an API which would could use to populate a map with locations. Since I found this thread, this has also been one of my desires, to see a full website, with clickable map, with pictures, and stories, just organizing this great thread into some kind of clickable, geographical display would be awesome I think. Maybe we could start with a google docs excel sheet just organizing each location, start/end date, user, sublocations, etc. into a spread sheet.I started one as an example, what do you guys think? Once we have that, it would be much easier I think to translate that into a clickable map.

Another option would be to organize this thread so the first post has the most up to date info, with a list of all the locations, arrived/departed, links to pics/posts, etc. This thread just has too many gems hidden in it, it would be great to put all those together at a single location so we could easily get a list of locations with links to pics and posts.

The Drifter

Stoo said:
Noted & logged, Drifty.;) You were included in the "interested" list that I posted 6 months ago so consider yourself next after Harvey. It's unfortunate that you've left West Virginia because I was looking forward to singing John Denver's, "Country Roads", while looking at your photos. I've been to Virginia (in Fairfax) but not West Virginia.

Awesome! I look forward to receiving mini-Indy. I do go into West Virginia from time-to-time to visit family, and I'm sure I could try to make a visit just for you, Stoo, if you'd like.

Stoo said:
That said, Tennessee locations would be most welcome!(y) Please promise us that you'll get some cliché shots of Tennessee. I'm talkin', like, a hound dog asleep underneath a broken-down, Dodge pickup truck or some hick with a cheek full of chewin' tobacco, etc. (I've never been to Tennessee so pardon me if my vision is way off.:eek:) Showcasing that state's pretty parts is a given so be sure to include those, too!

Sure thing! But, West Virginia has more of what you're looking for in that regard. I could get all of that and more! I have a few places around here in south-west Virginia that are interesting, and also places in Tennessee that would make for good photos and stories. I can't wait.

Archaeos

Sheet 21

7rum.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6726/7rum.jpg

A good starting point to research all about the SS and the manuscript's provenience would be the CABINET WAR ROOMS. I could lance in there like a quasar. On the other hand, just look how these 'old boys' there treated Field Marshall William Slim ? a great man totally forgotten, eclipsed by that "F.M Montgomery-mania".

BUT I KNOW ANOTHER PLACE I COULD KNOCK...

Archaeos

Sheet 25

0zji.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6605/0zji.jpg

The Imperial War Museum!

"Founded in 1917, the museum was intended to record the civil and military war effort and sacrifice of Britain and its Empire during the First World War. The museum's remit has since expanded to include all conflicts in which British or Commonwealth forces have been involved since 1914. As of 2012, it's actually called The Imperial War Museums because there are 5 branch sites across London and England. The museum aims 'to provide for, and to encourage, the study and understanding of the history of modern war and "wartime experience"."

"Mmhh, I never understood why they don't include all the glorious wars they fought in the name of Empire before 1914... maybe because its cooler to display how they valiantly fought against evil attempts of word domination and saving the world time and again from itself, instead of having to reconcile this with 300 prior years of conquering over a quarter of this planet, and politically and economically subjugating over 450 million people... with allegedly almost as many people slaughtered in India than died during WWI..."

"British Historians... difficult job to have nowadays, Indy thought sarcastically."

Archaeos

Sheet 26

lmpq.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9853/lmpq.jpg

His body started to ache when he glimpsed the tank.

Alexandretta
İskenderun
HATAY

He hadn't been in this region for a while now. "Probably not going to happen anytime soon", he thought, as he walked past the Vergeltungswaffen V-1 and V-2, technically referred to as Fieseler Fi 103 and Aggregat-4.

The Heinkel He 162 Volksjäger and the Sopwith Camel passed by him.

Last edited:

Archaeos

Apologies, fellow Raveners, for not posting much over the past days. This is because Archaeos and Stoo held a summit meeting at The Plough pub near The British Museum.

Thank you, Inky, for incepting this Travelling Indy project. It brings people together that would otherwise not have met. Travelling Indy is the perfect social MacGuffin.

inky_skin

Archaeos said:
Apologies, fellow Raveners, for not posting much over the past days. This is because Archaeos and Stoo held a summit meeting at The Plough pub near The British Museum.

Thank you, Inky, for incepting this Travelling Indy project. It brings people together that would otherwise not have met. Travelling Indy is the perfect social MacGuffin.

You've no idea how pleased this makes me.

Lance Quazar

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Archaeos, thank you for your absolutely extraordinary contribution to this project! You did far, far more than just lance in there like a quasar.

This is an epic and stunning achievement! I have enjoyed every single word, every gorgeous image!

Truly, your work belongs in a museum!!

Archaeos

Lance Quazar said:
Truly, your work belongs in a museum!!

You are too kind. Unfortunately, I "belonged" to a museum this week, by which I mean: I had to work over the past two week-ends, hence no updates to Travelling Indy. I will resume posting next week, though. So no worries, Archaeos won't disappear again as he did in the past. :whip:

Stoo

Archaeos said:

Yes, thank you, Inky. We had a highly enjoyable meet and I was fascinated (& even STUNNED at one point) by Archaeos' every word. Too much to talk about in too little time!:D

Love the colour-coding of our names, Archaeos. It certainly fits:

ArchaeosStoo_zps12dcde54.jpg

inky_skin said:
You've no idea how pleased this makes me.
Great! It pleased me even more...with a little help from some pints of Old Speckled Hen!(y) (Too bad we didn't have the Indy doll with us.)

Last edited: