TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 03-07-2003, 06:08 AM   #1
Lon
IndyFan

I'm curious if anyone has a big Indy collection out on display and if that is a big turn-off to women. You always hear about Star Wars or comic book collectors not being the top choice in the dating pool.
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
Trevor G
TR.N Staff Member

you just have to be patient, wait it out. One of them is BOUND to find it to be impressive.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't know yet. I'll let you know later.

Trev
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
Quest
IndyFan

I try not to fill my entire room with Indy stuff. Luckily I'm mainly a LucasArts games collector so that brings some diversity. However I am finding myself with a lotta Indy stuff lying around my room lately

I guess its better than having posters of lame black/death metal bands
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 01:38 PM   #4
IndyFrench
TR.N Staff Member

In response to your question (and it's a good one), I'll say this.

I have been an Indy/Star Wars fan for many years. I am currently 24, and when I was in high school, I had a HUGE Star Wars collection displayed in my room along with a very focused interest in Indiana Jones (wore the hat to school everyday, cracked the whip afterwards for all to see).

Anyway, in high school, despite my apparent geek tendancies, I had over the course of my high school career, three girlfriends. In college, before the release of Phantom Menace, I met my college girlfriend, whom I dated for a year.

After Phantom Menace, I gave up on Star Wars and packed the collection away, which gave me more time to get "geared up" and finally complete my Indiana Jones outfit. I am currently dating a wonderful, beautiful young woman who has no problem with my Indy interest because I also have a firm grasp of reality and she knows that I am driven and motivated to make something out of my life rather than live vicariously through other things. That is the most important thing to show someone (especially someone you want to date), that you are your own person and that you are not lost in your interests.

A few final notes:

Out of the girlfriends that I have had, three of them (including my current girlfriend) have stated that the ability to use a bullwhip is alluringly macho (and no, they didn't mean that in a dirty way, they meant that it's very manly-Indy to be able to sling a bullwhip around). My current girlfriend also told me that it gives her a sense of comfort and protection to know that her boyfriend has some physical prowess, strength, and a penchant for adventure. (In other words, try to think and live like Indy, not just dress like him, and women will be more open to your interest because it will make you less vicarious and more genuine - It will also make that hat on your head all the more appropriate)

All of the girlfriends that I have had loved the hat!

Indiana Jones is a series that both men and women enjoy. Men for the action and adventure, women for Harrison Ford.

As far as Star Wars goes, hmm... I got out of it because the new films were so bad that only the uber-fans were supporting them, the Jedi-robe wearing guys. Not that their bad people or anything, but the fact is the new films are generally considered to be inferior by most people, including this former Star Wars junkie, hence now Star Wars fans are viewed like Trekkies. There is little respect for it anymore outside its own niche. It is a shame, and I too regret the erosion of Star Wars, but I have faced facts. All I am saying is, in this day and age (unlike the early 90s) being a dedicated Star Wars fan now carries an unfortunate stigma of being like a Trekkie. My girlfriend knows that I once held Star Wars dear, and that I have kept the vintage stuff that reminds me of a better time, but I think that if you are asking for advice or opinions on women versus Indy and Star Wars hobbyists, I'll say this:

Be an Indyfan first, live it and love it, and enjoy it, for there is nothing in it an intelligent woman will find adverse. If you like Star Wars too, then like it, but keep your fervor in check, because Star Wars now carries a social scar since the world saw Conan's footage of Star Wars weddings, people acting out scenes from the film in robes with plastic sabers... Women generally don't warm to that anymore.

I hope this advice helps. Good luck with all your endeavors and keep me posted!

Mike
IndyFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:56 PM   #5
Magda
IndyFan

As a female, I find it both a turn-off and disturbing that a guy excessively decorates his room in tons of Indiana Jones (or Star Wars) collectibles and memorabilia. A poster or two, I wouldn't mind. But when a guy is obsessing over a male character, a movie series, or video games, the first thing that comes to mind is to run... run FAR away.

[Edited by Ameera on 03-30-2003 at 10:59 pm]
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:25 PM   #6
hffan2000
IndyFan

i feel collecting is ok but if you're gonna be in a relationship with someone let your collecting only be a hobby. i find people who focus way too much on a movie character or series to the point of obsession need to reexamine their lives. i mean indy, star wars and all that stuff is great but it's only entertainment and we shouldn't let it hurt our relationships with people. if you're in love with a special someone , show them how much you care and let that relationship grow into something rich.
hffan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 01:55 AM   #7
Tequileros
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ameera
As a female, I find it both a turn-off and disturbing that a guy excessively decorates his room in tons of Indiana Jones (or Star Wars) collectibles and memorabilia. A poster or two, I wouldn't mind. But when a guy is obsessing over a male character, a movie series, or video games, the first thing that comes to mind is to run... run FAR away.

[Edited by Ameera on 03-30-2003 at 10:59 pm]

What kind of a fan are you then if you don't like the gear or posters.
Tequileros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:16 AM   #8
Magda
IndyFan

I'm a fan that appreciates the movies. I don't need to be a die-hard collector to prove my worth as an Indyfan. I simply find that guys who obsess over a movie need to re-examine their lives.
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:09 AM   #9
Indy 4
IndyFan

[quote]Originally posted by Tequileros
[b][quote]Originally posted by Ameera
[b]As a female, I find it both a turn-off and disturbing that a guy excessively decorates his room in tons of Indiana Jones (or Star Wars) collectibles and memorabilia. A poster or two, I wouldn't mind. But when a guy is obsessing over a male character, a movie series, or video games, the first thing that comes to mind is to run... run FAR away.

[Edited by Indy 4 on 03-31-2003 at 08:13 am]
Indy 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 08:16 AM   #10
DutchIndy
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ameera
I'm a fan that appreciates the movies. I don't need to be a die-hard collector to prove my worth as an Indyfan. I simply find that guys who obsess over a movie need to re-examine their lives.

Well thank you!

Guys, just get you a girl who's keen on whips. They're out there, trust me.

Serious. It aint a problemm at all..... till she's in your room Haha. So if you "meet up" in ones room, get to her room first.

-D
DutchIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 08:42 AM   #11
Quest
IndyFan

"Keep the legend alive, but don't forget to live some of your own"
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:53 AM   #12
Raffey
IndyFan

I guess 'denial'...

...ain't just a river in Africa.

Individual style and hobby is one thing but obsession is something else...

When you are in your twenties and STILL have a room full of toys (not just collectible pieces but TOYS, decorate your home with nothing but first run original movie posters, run to the grocery store wearing a whip, and tell your friends when they come over not to touch your icon's Vader lightsaber autographed by James Earl Jones himself then there is a problem.

I bet everyone here groans when someone comes along and proclaims in a loud voice that they are a trekkie.

Well, guess what? The rest of the world groans when you blabber about having to wait two months for your David Morgan.

So while the girl or girls of your dreams is out there going to the movies (with someone normal), you sit idly with your Indy action figure in hand waiting for ONE movie.

Oh yeah...keep hope alive
Raffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:49 AM   #13
vaxer
Moderator Emeritus

I've never had this problem of hiding my Indy collections...because I never had any. I only have a little Indy poster in my room. I think the best way to be an Indy fan is to inspire yourself from Indy. What I mean is I kinda dress in Indy's style but when someone sees me in the steet they don't point me out saying "hey an Indy geek!". Indy's not just useless toys, he's a way of living!
vaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:52 AM   #14
Indy 4
IndyFan

Re: I guess 'denial'...

Quote:
Originally posted by Raffey
...ain't just a river in Africa.

Individual style and hobby is one thing but obsession is something else...

When you are in your twenties and STILL have a room full of toys (not just collectible pieces but TOYS, decorate your home with nothing but first run original movie posters, run to the grocery store wearing a whip, and tell your friends when they come over not to touch your icon's Vader lightsaber autographed by James Earl Jones himself then there is a problem.

I bet everyone here groans when someone comes along and proclaims in a loud voice that they are a trekkie.

Well, guess what? The rest of the world groans when you blabber about having to wait two months for your David Morgan.

I agree with your statement here Raff. I posted a statement ealier on this thread along the same lines, but it was delated. I guess I worded it wrong Still your right, there is a fine line between being just a plain Indy fan, and being out right Indy obscessed.

So while the girl or girls of your dreams is out there going to the movies (with someone normal), you sit idly with your Indy action figure in hand waiting for ONE movie.

Oh yeah...keep hope alive
Indy 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 02:40 PM   #15
Lon
IndyFan

I'm in the process of filling my home office with my Indy collectibles. I painted the room red, putting shelves up, framing posters, displaying everything I have. I don't dress up and run around in public as Indiana Jones (except on Halloween). Lots of people collect things and I've seen shows about people who collect things and they always have "someone" in their life who doesn't seem to care. My collection and pursuit of it would be for me only and I would never let it interfere with a relationship if I were in one. I was just curious if that would be an automatic turn-off to women.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:15 AM   #16
DutchIndy
IndyFan

Some think it's sexy .... no joke!
Old 04-06-2003, 11:31 AM   #17
westford
IndyFan

Since I'm an Indy fan, if a guy had a collection of Indy stuff I'd probably be dead impressed (and more so if he had French's whip skills! ). But if that was his only interest, things could get pretty dull.

My current boyfriend is 25 and a Star Wars fan - he much prefers the classic trilogy to the prequels and special editions - but that's not the only thing he's into. Most of his collection's stashed away in the attic, so I haven't seen it all, but the fact it's stored like that suggests that while he enjoys collecting stuff, he doesn't let it take over his life (or his room).

Anyway, Indy isn't a hat - he's the man in the hat. People should like you for who you are, not the clothes you wear or the things you own. I had a boyfriend at high school who was into death metal and playing Warhammer (Warhammer has to be worse than Star Wars, surely! ). The first time I saw his bedroom I thought "what have I let myself in for?" cos there were posters of his favourite bands everywhere, and shelves displaying the Warhammer figures he'd painted... But then he showed me his teddy bear that his dad bought for him the day he was born, and it was one of those ultimate "awwwwwwwww" moments
westford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 01:24 PM   #18
DrJones56
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by DutchIndy

6 out of my whopping 78 (No not all at once, what? do you think I'm a pim?! ) think the gear is sexy... scary numbers. But the 6 that did think it was good, I liked the most, so I feel better!
DrJones56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:50 PM   #19
Lon
IndyFan

LOL. This has to be the best quote I've seen on this board. "Warhammer has to be worse than Star Wars, surely!" -- Westford.

My collection stays in my home office. For now anyway. Hopefully I'll have room as I continue to build it. I certainly have other interests and it doesn't consume me. I don't really talk about it with other people or brag about it. I realize it's not for everyone. So hopefully if I do meet a woman she'll either a) love it or b) not be into but doesn't care as long as it's something I enjoy. Which it is.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:30 AM   #20
DutchIndy
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by DrJones56
Quote:
Originally posted by DutchIndy

6 out of my whopping 78 (No not all at once, what? do you think I'm a pim?! ) think the gear is sexy... scary numbers. But the 6 that did think it was good, I liked the most, so I feel better!

78?! Hha... reminds me of Clerks.... 37! My girlfriend ..... 37 .....! Seen that flick
Old 04-08-2003, 01:51 PM   #21
Kill Cavalry
IndyFan

You need some varitey, thats my advice! My room is completely filled with over one hundred books on the Civil War, nearly every Indy novel and collectible I could find, and other various random memoribilia for other periods and movies. It's cool for guys, especially other Indy fans, to check out your massive collection of Indy stuff, but my advice is if you have a collection don't let it consume everything in your room. Variety, variety, variety! Show all of your interests and don't make any single one look like a shrine.
I'm currently dating a brilliant and beautiful girl and I'm loving it. She enjoys Indy nearly as much as I do! Just don't obsess!
Kill Cavalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 01:58 PM   #22
Tennessee Buck
IndyFan

Being a STAR WARS fan was always a no-no if you wanted to date someone, at least back in the 80's. Nowadays, I am not sure what women want...but I assume saying you are an Indiana Jones fan is okay. Since the early 90's, I sort of avoided STAR WARS and Indiana Jones. But now I am gearing up for the new film in 2005 and got excited all over again. I want to get a RAIDERS poster or maybe the LAST CRUSADE teaser poster, and buy that damn fedora which I lost years ago. I am even writing my thoughts on Indy for my site, not to mention thinking up images for a preview trailer of a story idea I have in mind. The point is that women are not always attracted to the idea that I love films...I tell them I made a couple of films for fun and that I write film reviews as a hobby and they usually turn away. It is my life, and so is Indiana Jones. But it does not run my life, and that is the difference. At least some women friends of mine like the fact that I love Stanley Kubrick. But Indy will always be a fave for me. Long live Indy!!!

Final note: I wish I met a female Indy fan. Love to hit it off with one.

http://www.geocities.com/faustus_085...he_Movies.html
Tennessee Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:14 PM   #23
Genevieve
IndyFan

From a female point of view, I dont think that I would be horrendously freaked out. I think that everyone has their one quirk or interest that is dominant. The last guy that I dated loved Japanese Style cartoons, and I have no real interst in them what-so-ever, and he really wasnt a huge indy or history fan but we dated for over a year and I still talk to him at least once a week. Like everyone else said, as long as you dont go extreme over it you should be fine. And i would have to admit, the hat and the whip thing would be quite interesting to see (in the cleanest way that can be taken, please!)
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:41 PM   #24
Minnesota Jones
IndyFan

Here's my take on it. I'm a hugh Indy and Star Wars fan, have been since the beginning. I did make a major mistake about 6 years ago and SOLD all my old Star Wars toys because my girlfriend/fiancee at the time was an evil *&@#$ and thought all that was just dumb. It's all gone now.

But here's the bright side. She's history. I'm now HAPPILY married for 1 1/2 years to a woman I've been great friends with for almost 13 years. That's the ticket. Be friends first. We both have a love of a lot of the same things. She likes Star Wars, and Indy both too. Also, she's into a lot of the same music, movies, foods, etc that I am. So we just "get along" swimmingly. And we both enjoy just having fun. As for my Indy collection, she's not in it to the extent I am (although she thinks it's all pretty slick), and that's fine with me. In fact, she WANTS me to have my collections, gear, etc. We don't have kids yet and as long as we can make the house payments, she's fine with it all. We even hosted an Indiana Jones theme party recently. We even got her the "Marion Dress" from ROTLA that she wore at our theme party. Now we're working on Marion's "Cairo outfit" for her. She's always enjoyed these kinds of movies, also loved Halloween and dressing up, all of which is right up my alley! But don't worry, she has her own hobbies too which she enjoys.

So the moral of all this is to find someone with similar interests you have. And it doesn't have to be someone who's as nuts as we are. And As long as they appricate the fact that YOU enjoy it is the main thing. If they like it too, that's a huge bonus. Otherwise, you'll be selling off your stuff if it's the wrong one, you'll be misarable, the relationship will not last, and then your collection is still all gone.

Oh, update - I almost forgot. We got her to crack a bullwhip last summer and she got hooked too! Now she has her own bullwhip! We're the only couple I know of where both Husband and Wife are whipcrackers! Ha!

[Edited by Minnesota Jones on 05-01-2003 at 02:03 pm]
Minnesota Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:04 PM   #25
Lon
IndyFan

Hey that party sounds fun! If you have any pictures I'd love to see them. What kinds of things did you do for it?