National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition

Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology
Select artifacts on display from the Penn Museum in Philadelphia

3a3c8f606eaabd550a874704a7f0ed605e0c9d67abcf7675711768dc1e71befb5g.jpg

Tumbler (Height: 15.2 cm). The silver and copper alloy electrum tumbler was finely hammered and fluted into 28 ridges. From the Royal Cemetery at Ur (in modern day Iraq), the tomb of Puabi, Ur?s Queen, ca 2500 BCE. (Penn Museum object # B17691)

6c91e330461958ecb7f528fe8a96e709319fac09443d535aa93959c81f01a7d85g.jpg

Vessel in the shape of an ostrich egg (Height: 4.6 cm; Diameter: 13 cm) of gold, lapis lazuli, red limestone, shell, and bitumen; hammered from a single sheet of gold and with geometric mosaics at the top and bottom of the egg. The dazzling array of materials came from trade with neighbors in Afghanistan, Iran, Anatolia, and perhaps Egypt and Nubia. From the Royal Cemetery at Ur (in modern day Iraq) ca 2550 BCE. (Penn Museum object # B16692)

d9dae0e96eb31252ea6737276dbf4cafca48ff9fbfc1a3ce163f49a3cdd4e5655g.jpg

Cast-Gold Bat Effigy Pendant, circa AD 500-900, from Penn Museum?s 1940 expedition to Sitio Conte, Panama. (Height: 2.2 cm, Width: 4.4 cm, Thickness .9 cm) (Penn Museum object number: 40-12-33)

784706777ffed3a1656301961adf120b75f1066fae9ee78643556895068541275g.jpg

This embossed gold plaque, circa AD 500-900, comes from the Penn Museum Expedition to Sitio Conte, Panama in 1940. (Height: 20.8 cm; Width 20.6 cm) (Penn Museum object # 40-13-3)

f564f4563aa7468641dbbe4339a25c1ded9a269fb9edf8fce637dd243df5ab635g.jpg

This limestone ancient Egyptian funerary stela, used to indicate the location of a tomb, has the particularity of having been shaped like the ankh - the Egyptian symbol for eternal life. Stelae were more typically inscribed with prayers or magic formulae to be recited by visitors to ensure the deceased a pleasant and peaceful afterlife. (Height: 29.5 cm, Width: 25 cm; Diameter: 8 cm) Abydos, Egypt, 1938-1759 BC. Excavated by David Randall-MacIver, Egypt Exploration Fund, 1901. (Penn Museum object # E9952)

474b1b2a69b7529dd0e19dbad725852358d8f4df862b769dc2a87c2ec6cf8b615g.jpg

Books of the Dead consisted of a group of spells whose primary purpose was to assist the deceased in their journey into the afterlife. No one book contained all of the spells, and while most examples were inscribed on papyrus rolls, spells could also appear on tomb walls, sarcophagi, and funerary stelae. The spells were often accompanied by vignettes; this one depicts the deities Osiris, Thoth, Isis, and Nephthys, as well as other divine figures. Neferrenpet, the owner of this Book of the Dead, was a sculptor who lived in the village of Deir el-Medina during the reign of Ramses II. (Height: 41 cm; Width: 58 cm) 1279-1213 BC, from Thebes, Egypt, gift of the American Exploration Society, 1902. (Penn Museum object # E2775C)

d43f8ecf8df1f9f26d0885b4ae2e2d537fc96aa5a261a7a43edc95154653afc05g.jpg

This clay cuneiform tablet, from the site of Nippur in Iraq, 1500-1155 BC, features the first known depiction of a map. (Length: 13 cm; Width: 11 cm; Depth: 3 cm) Excavated by the Babylonian Expedition (Penn Museum object # B13885)

6d89ba98ff31458eb29aaae49a38e8fe37ed75ea45ac2eca79dbe364cb42c2255g.jpg

This clay vessel from the Nasca culture in Peru, AD 1-700, depicts a cat-like trophy head entwined in darts or rays. From the Penn Museum expedition by William Farabee, 1922-1923 (Height: 7/6 cm; Width: 14 cm) (Penn Museum object # SA2919)

Stoo

One "artifact" I really enjoyed seeing was Hiram Bingham's photo-journal of Machu Picchu (with his typewritten notes).(y) Would've loved to have been able to turn those pages but it was behind glass.:(

I assume it came for the Penn Museum, as well.

Fortune and Glory: Celebrating Indiana Jones and 30 Years of Adventure

Indiana Jones Props and Costumes — an exhibit honoring the 30th anniversary of the popular Indiana Jones movies is coming to the Glenn Curtiss Museum. Fortune and Glory: Celebrating Indiana Jones and 30 Years of Adventure will feature more than 40 original props and costumes used in the four Indiana Jones movies. The exhibit will open on Friday and run through Sept. 5. Admission to the exhibit is included in the regular museum admission of $7.50 for adults, $6 for seniors, $4.50 for students ages 7 to 18 and $20 for families. Children ages 6 and under are admitted free. The museum is located at 8419 State Rt. 54 in Hammondsport. For more information visit www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org

Since the premiere of Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981, audiences around the world have been captivated by Indiana Jones, the scholarly archaeologist turned whip-wielding, wise-cracking adventurer. According to Museum Curator Rick Leisenring, "His quest for treasure has created a fascination and demand for anything related to the movies. From clothing and gear to props and production material, the search for these items has become an adventure worthy of Dr. Jones himself."
The Fortune and Glory exhibit will include several props from the banquet scene in Indiana Jones and
The Temple of Doom, as well as the rare Webley revolver used by Chen to shoot Wu Han with during the cork popping scene in Club Obi Wan. Many of the items have never before been exhibited to the public. Leisenring, who has collected all of the items over a period of years, has designed and built a special setting for these treasures within the Museum.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Leisenring, who has collected all of the items over a period of years, has designed and built a special setting for these treasures within the Museum.
Very interesting, Rocket! This sounds like it's his own private collection. Just looked up Hammondsport on a map and it's somewhat south of Rochester. Looks like a 3.5 hour drive from NYC or Cleveland. Maybe 2.5 from Toronto....Hopefully, someone will be able to report on this rare opportunity.
Rocket Surgeon said:
The Fortune and Glory exhibit will include several props from the banquet scene in Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom,
I wonder if Mr. Leisenring has any of the eyeballs from the eyeball soup! (He won't have the egg from Lao Che's plane because that is in the Montreal exhibit!:p)

Stoo said:
Hopefully, someone will be able to report on this rare opportunity.
Speaking of reports, has the mourning period for your gear passed sufficiently for a more detailed report from Montreal?

Even after Belloq robbed Indy, Indy got back on his horse pretty quick...

Daley said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to The Raven, glad to finally be able to post :D I've recently come accross a flickr page that features a set of really great pictures from the press opening of the exhibition: It looks spectacular!!(y)

5665409533_6a96027f9f_z.jpg

They look great! Nice post(s), thanks for the link!

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Speaking of reports, has the mourning period for your gear passed sufficiently for a more detailed report from Montreal?

Even after Belloq robbed Indy, Indy got back on his horse pretty quick...
The mourning period for my lost valuables hasn't passed. I'm still pissed!:eek: However, I'll be back in Montreal in a few days and will be visiting the exhibit again, recapturing the shots that were lost (details which most photographs ignore).

Ex. The buttons on Indy's tuxedo from "Doom": They have a black & white checkerboard pattern on them. You can't see that in the movie!:whip:

Stoo

Exhibit Promo Truck & Lucas at the Grand Prix

On June 3rd, Rocket Surgeon posted a photo of the promotional truck in post #138.

According to my best buddy, 2 weeks later during Grand Prix weekend*, it was parked FULL-TIME just a few blocks from my place in Montreal. (The hippest street in the city is Saint Laurent so during each Grand Prix season, it is always lined with Formula 1 racers on display and other sh!t-hot cars owned by the fat-cats who come for the event.)

My friend lives 1 block away and he said that the Indy truck was was parked there, CONSTANTLY BLARING the music of the "Raiders March"! The back was loaded with crates marked "Property of Dr. Jones" and one crate was far away from the truck sitting on a sidewalk! Unfortunately, I wasn't in town to see it.

Since then, the truck has been travelling around the province, making appearances in Laval, Granby and Quebec City.

IndyExhibit_Truck02.jpg

*George Lucas was in Montreal for the 2011 Grand Prix! It is highly likely that George checked out the Indy Exhibit but I haven't found any reports to confirm this...

d11cdn1955.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
According to my best buddy, 2 weeks later during Grand Prix weekend*, it was parked FULL-TIME just a few blocks from my place in Montreal. (The hippest street in the city is Saint Laurent so during each Grand Prix season, it is always lined with Formula 1 racers on display and other sh!t-hot cars owned by the fat-cats who come for the event.)

My friend lives 1 block away and he said that the Indy truck was was parked there, CONSTANTLY BLARING the music of the "Raiders March"! The back was loaded with crates marked "Property of Dr. Jones" and one crate was far away from the truck sitting on a sidewalk! Unfortunately, I wasn't in town to see it.

Since then, the truck has been travelling around the province, making appearances in Laval, Granby and Quebec City.

IndyExhibit_Truck02.jpg

That's very cool. Not so cool that it was so close to your place when you weren't. Would've been fun trying to liberate that lone crate. (Dr. Jones would have approved, I'm sure).

Stoo

Just got back from the exhibit again. I took a lot of new photos to replace the ones I lost and got a good recording of the Harrison Ford audio!(y)

There was also a lot of new T-shirts and other merchandise for sale. More details later because I heading back to Switzerland now.

Stoo

RaiderMitch said:
any posters or pins?
Mitch, no pins but there were posters. The gift shop has expanded since the I was there in April. Now they have statuettes, Official Magazines, etc. The selection of books is still on sale. There were also 9 NEW T-shirts designs (for a grand total of 11).

Below are flyers on a lampost in the median centre of René Lévesque Boulevard* :sick: (formerly Dorchester Boulevard).

*This is a rare occasion where I will call Dorchester Boulevard by it's new name...René Lévesque was a separtist a**hole!(n)

Exhibit_PosterA.jpg

Johnny Nys said:
Can't wait to hear which European cities the exhibit will be touring...
The official site still has no update on future cities.(n) C'mon NORTH AMERICA, this is your chance to see the things up close & personal! Only 2 months left to go! Make the trip to Montreal before it's too late. (The exhibit ends September 18th!):whip:

Stoo

Marion Ravenwood's Shoes

O.K. Here is a photo dedicated to Violet - our resident Marion Fan Extraordinaire. A couple of years back, she asked about Marion's shoes and I said that their colour appeared to be burnt sienna to which she (partially) disagreed. (She was also partially correct.;))

Anywho, for Violet, may I present...Marion's shoes!

Exhibit_Marion1.jpg

Stoo

Folks, get away from your computer, your video games & your comic books. TRAVEL! See the world before you die.:gun: Get your lazy ass up (or over) to MONTREAL for the INDY EXHIBITION!

---
Re: Merchandise...These were the ONLY 2 T-shirts for sale in April 2011.

Exhibit_GiftShop3-1.jpg
Exhibit_GiftShop4.jpg

NOW, these are AVAILABLE in JULY 2011. Get 'em while they're hot!:whip:

Exhibit_GiftShop6_5inch-1.jpg

Exhibit_GiftShop7_5inch.jpg

Exhibit_GiftShop8_5inch.jpg

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
O.K. Here is a photo dedicated to Violet - our resident Marion Fan Extraordinaire. A couple of years back, she asked about Marion's shoes and I said that their colour appeared to be burnt sienna to which she (partially) disagreed. (She was also partially correct.;))

Anywho, for Violet, may I present...Marion's shoes!

Exhibit_Marion1.jpg

Who would ever think this would be resolved years later....and that Stoo still remembered.

And I partially told you so....:p

I totally would go, but alas, I'm saving my cash up atm for something else.

Stoo

Violet said:
Who would ever think this would be resolved years later....and that Stoo still remembered.

And I partially told you so....:p

I totally would go, but alas, I'm saving my cash up atm for something else.
You were on my mind, Violet, when I took the photos of Marion's costume.;) Here are some more for you:

Exhibit_Marion2.jpg

Exhibit_Marion3.jpg