Disney acquires Lucasfilm

Raiders90

Violet said:
And that's just it. Disney has bought Marvel and now Lucasfilm. Disney need to be very careful about how they deal with their companies- mega companies can crumble as easily as they are bought. The recent WFC showed that. Esp considering the high risk venture the film biz is. And how easily their film dept budget blew out with John Carter and Lone Ranger is another example of this venture's risk.

THIS is what I'm worried about.

Some of you here who are gamers may have heard of a company called Sierra On-Line, Inc. If not, they were one of the biggest players in the computer game industry in the '80s and '90s and in the mid '90s they were the market share leader in that area. Their only competitors were EA and Microsoft. What they are most known for are their adventure game (games in the same genre as the Fate of Atlantas) series, such as King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, and others.

After going public on NASDAQ in the late '80s they underwent, from 1990-1996, a period of rapid expansion driven mostly by acquisition. They acquired around 12 different, smaller studios, in all different areas of software; They allowed all of these studios to retain their own brand identity and gave them a large amount of creative autonomy, and allowed their acquired studios to retain their management and physical headquarters.

They began to overextend themselves. Where they were once a company which was driven by computer games, they began buying RTS game companies, home and garden software companies, cooking software companies, casual entertainment companies--In an effort to have their finger in every genre of the 1990s.

This growth (they went from 300 employees in 1991 to around 1,500 in 1996) made themselves a target for acquisition by even bigger companies. And in 1996 they were acquired by a direct marketing company, who turned out to be as corrupt as Enron (The name of the company was Cendant. Cendant also bought Blizzard Entertainment at the same time). The parent company used Sierra's name in their illegal dealings, and when all of the illegalities were discovered, much of Sierra's profitability was wiped out. Internally, there was a lot of mismanagement and the new CEOs of Sierra didn't know how to run Sierra, or what the Sierra brand even meant, and didn't know how to run all of those various subsidiary studios of Sierra, and many of them were closed eventually and key employees were laid off, in the wake of the Cendant Scandal.

After changing hands several more times, being sold from company to company, Sierra began to be unprofitable and it was eventually closed in 2004. The brand name continued to be used on products of the parent company until 2009 but it ceased to exist totally that year. In just around 8 years after massive growth and over extension, it ceased to exist.

Stoo

Violet said:
Kind of weird that a prediction I made back in March has actually happened.
Myself & Junior_Jones actually predicted the buy-out back in early March 2011! That's almost 18 months ago.

What's eerie is that CNN International reported that the negotiations started "about a year & half ago". That's about 18 months!:eek:

Ha! Maybe Lucas & Iger got the idea from this thread:
Indiana Jones and the Disney Connection

MDew

First and foremost I hope this means we will finally see a full-scale Star Wars theme park, it's about friggin' time!

Secondly maybe now they will look at the other Lucas properties ripe for development such as the entire LucasArts game catalog - I would go see a Maniac Mansion or Monkey Island (doubtful vs. Pirates of the Caribbean) movie. Or maybe now they'll finally sink their teeth into the long-awaited Howard the Duck 2?

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Violet said:
The hate at this point, is a tad unfounded at this point. Unfortunately we will have to wait a couple of years to see some results of what will come of this to judge it properly from the fan's stand point.

Hate is a strong word. But I'm really curious who's gonna call the shots. Iger or Kennedy? Lucas certainly not, he'll be in his villa in Italy enjoying retirement. You see in James Bond's case there was always the Broccolis, first Cubby and then his daughter Barbara, who called the shots and not some suit, no matter how successful.

Stoo said:
Myself & Junior_Jones actually predicted the buy-out back in early March 2011! That's almost 18 months ago.

What's eerie is that CNN International reported that the negotiations started "about a year & half ago". That's about 18 months!:eek:

Ha! Maybe Lucas & Iger got the idea from this thread:
Indiana Jones and the Disney Connection

Could you please give me 6+1 numbers? I want to use them in the lottery, and we'll split the winning of course, 60-40. (y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sakis said:
Hate is a strong word. But I'm really curious who's gonna call the shots. Iger or Kennedy? Lucas certainly not, he'll be in his villa in Italy enjoying retirement. You see in James Bond's case there was always the Broccolis, first Cubby and then his daughter Barbara, who called the shots and not some suit, no matter how successful.

I don't follow the details too much, as I'm not a Marvel fan per se, but I get the sense from those who do know that Kevin Feige, head of Marvel, has a considerable amount of autonomy. That's not to say that Iger might not have things to say from time to time - "more jokes!", in one case, apparently - but the direction of the studio seems to be Feige's.

MDew said:
First and foremost I hope this means we will finally see a full-scale Star Wars theme park, it's about friggin' time!

Extremely unlikely. Walt Disney World can't handle another park; it shouldn't have even built its fourth. There are rumblings with <I>some</I> legitimacy of a third gate at Disneyland, which would have a good shot at having a lot of Marvel and Star Wars. That said, a Tomorrowland reboot is in the cards, which could - even if it makes no thematic sense in either case - lead to more Star Wars or Marvel within Disneyland's primary park.

Would that mean more Indy? Probably not, at least not in California, where his ride is firmly ensconced in Adventureland. An expanded presence in Florida is much more possible, either in the Magic Kingdom or Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Attila the Professor said:
I don't follow the details too much, as I'm not a Marvel fan per se, but I get the sense from those who do know that Kevin Feige, head of Marvel, has a considerable amount of autonomy. That's not to say that Iger might not have things to say from time to time - "more jokes!", in one case, apparently - but the direction of the studio seems to be Feige's.

Extremely unlikely. Walt Disney World can't handle another park; it shouldn't have even built its fourth. There are rumblings with <I>some</I> legitimacy of a third gate at Disneyland, which would have a good shot at having a lot of Marvel and Star Wars. That said, a Tomorrowland reboot is in the cards, which could - even if it makes no thematic sense in either case - lead to more Star Wars or Marvel within Disneyland's primary park.

Would that mean more Indy? Probably not, at least not in California, where his ride is firmly ensconced in Adventureland. An expanded presence in Florida is much more possible, either in the Magic Kingdom or Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Guess they'll just have to build a park in the middle of America.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
You guys act like Disney has done nothing good in it's 89 year history. Like every single film they ever made was a failure, or that everything they've ever made was childish fluff. The insane, rabid, foam at the mouth hate for Disney is odd. I guess no Raveners grew up on the Disney of the '80s-'90s, or enjoy any of the Disney classics, or liked or watched any Miramax films in the '90s, or enjoy any Pixar work, or liked The Avengers.
Without speaking for everyone, I doubt that many members here really "HATE" Disney. People are just voicing an aversion to the sell-out/take-over and you're misinterpreting the displeasure.

Personally, I love the Disney classics and their '60s & '70s output (half of which was during their "slump", as you called it). These are the Disney films that I collect. (None of the '80-'90s stuff you refer to.)

In regards to your 2 recently closed threads on this subject, Raiders112390, you could have just continued where you voiced your distaste for the modern state (2010) of Disney:

Disney Disgust
Raiders112390 said:
I'd take a dead Walt Disney over modern day George Lucas in terms of creativity.
Really? That didn't seem to be the case in the "Disney Disgust" thread.;)

Stoo

featofstrength said:
Guess they'll just have to build a park in the middle of America.
According to "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" (the 1st chapter of Disney's fantastic Dexter O'Reilly/O'Riley trilogy): The middle of America is a place called: Lebanon, Kansas. Is this true?:confused:
---
Disney could move Professor Jones from Marshall & Barnett College to their own fictional campus...MEDFIELD COLLEGE! This would put Indiana Jones into the same universe as the Dexter movies, the Flubber movies and the Shaggy Dog movies, etc.!:eek::p:eek:

DON'T DO IT, Disney!:whip:

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
disney.jpg

Stoo

Violet said:
Disney need to be very careful about how they deal with their companies- mega companies can crumble as easily as they are bought.
In their pursuit to monopolize western pop-culture, Disney should buy McDonald's. That way, we could have Indy & Ronald together on an adventure into the weird corners of the mysterious McDonaldland...on a quest to find a golden French Fry (or something similar).

After that, Coca-Cola should buy Disney!:D Then we could have Indiana Jones, C-3PO, Spiderman, Buzz Lightyear, Kermit the Frog, the Hamburgler, Steven Tyler & Joe Perry all sipping nice, cool bottles of Coke on Redondo beach. Think of the commercial that would make.:p
Violet said:
The hate at this point, is a tad unfounded at this point.
This is a matter of opinion, Vio. In my view, the takeover is more than disgusting...it's REPUGNANT!:sick:

@JuniorJones: Wonderful illustration.:hat:

Grizzlor

Maybe this will allow LucasArts to make a new Indiana Jones game? You know, like Staff of Kings was supposed to be.

O wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous DisneyLand is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't.

Wow, you lose power for a couple of weeks and look what happens...next thing you know people will wonder if Marion and Willie will star in the next Sex in the City film!

Indiana Jones has entered the dystopian Utopia...

Will the new stewards give us an anti hero or something else?

Will the new Indy be a series of candy coated distractions which aproximate a plot or will he be done justice?

Will they inflict pain by inflicting pleasure...will they try to please everyone?

Will some enterprising talent secure the righs to an Indiana Jones that Disney isn't even interested in?

The page has turned...but what rights does Lucas retain?