New Wested Hero LC

Drones33

A curious one this. It’s great to see the LC Hero is finally available, however I do wish Wested would add a description. There’s nothing on the website as yet to say how the Hero differs from the custom LC. It also strikes me as odd that having released what is supposedly a fairly screen accurate LC jacket, Wested muddies the waters by offering some very non-SA options; different pockets, alternative linings, different stitching on the straps etc. Nice to have those alternatives but seems to be missing the point a bit. Especially when those options are not readily available on the custom LC jacket. Nor on the Custom Raiders or the ToD.

Major West

The custom LC and OTR jackets are based on the Crystal Skull pattern, even then the collar is a strange hybrid that is neither LC or CS.

The new LC Hero, is very close to accurate. Just make sure you select rectangle box and D-Rings and dark brown satin lining. I would probably still order a cotton lining myself, personal preference.

I'm still deciding to order or not though. The LC is probably my third favourite Indy jacket.

Glenville86

Glenville86 said:
I ordered one in their shrunken lamb.

Has not arrived yet.

Received. Not impressed with this one. The SL was nice and light. The sleeve lining was hanging about an inch past the cuff when put on. Gave it to a co-worker and the leather split about 3 inches where the strap anchor is on the side of the jacket. He took it to a tailor to have it stitched up. This batch of SL is pretty thin.....lol I have had and still have many Wested Indy jackets that never had these issues.

John Bechet

I was just about to ask if you had received it, as this interests me. Sorry to hear of the quality issues.

I'm curious about the exact details that make it accurate (or not). From the photos on the site, I can recognise the correct lack of hem stitching, the plain seam on the back of the sleeves. The pocket shape looks more like it than on their standard Crusade/Skulls (and, I fear my own custom one of a couple years ago). Quality aside, how much does it match the screen jacket?

Glenville86

John Bechet said:
I was just about to ask if you had received it, as this interests me. Sorry to hear of the quality issues.

I'm curious about the exact details that make it accurate (or not). From the photos on the site, I can recognise the correct lack of hem stitching, the plain seam on the back of the sleeves. The pocket shape looks more like it than on their standard Crusade/Skulls (and, I fear my own custom one of a couple years ago). Quality aside, how much does it match the screen jacket?

I will have to defer the accuracy question to members who are more into the movie jacket. From what I have read on COW, most members said it was closer than the standard Wested offering which is a cross between the LC and KOTCS jackets. They said while the custom LC is closer, it is not quite 100%.

Major West

John Bechet said:

The pattern is very close to the screen jacket. So long as the cutter for the jacket doesn't mess up the important details like the shape of the pocket flaps or collar size then it's a good option for an accurate LC jacket. The final touch is the screen accurate distressing but you'll have to do that yourself of course., and you want to order the dark satin for the jacket lining.

John Bechet

Have you also owned, or even just tried on, one of their standard pattern Last Crusade/Crystal Skull jackets? I am curious as to whether this new hero shares with that pattern a noticeably wide back panel.

I find this feature odd in mine as the screen jackets don't appear to have it. Although I speculated that it just doesn't appear so because of the thinness of the screen jackets compared to my choice of a thicker, heavier hide. But years later, I got another in a thin cowhide thinking that the jacket might fall down straighter when worn, but even though I sized down to get a slimmer fit, there is still a flaring out at the back.

Major West

John Bechet said:
there is still a flaring out at the back.

Try adjusting the straps, make them tighter. The only reason I can imagine it's sticking out at the back if the straps are loose. Haven't had this issue with any of my jackets. Or perhaps it's a backlength issue, too short a backlength, not enough weight.

John Bechet

I have the straps pulled in enough to get those fold lines across the tail of the back panel. In fact, I find pulling them tighter worsens the flare in the upper back. I think you may have something when you cite back length, however. I have always thought I spec'ed the back length too short. I tried to correct this on my second go, but as that was a custom job where the collar threw off the back length figure, I ended up with the same length of 25".

This flaring back panel only occurs with the LC - the backs of my Raiders and Raiders Hero don't do it. I have always assumed it is just how the design is, although I can't see it happening in the screen version.