Customizing Indy Figures

EvilDevo

Goonie said:
Once I get two more relic Sankara Stones, I'm thinking of making a display for the three of them with rice lights or LEDs to make them glow.

Yep. I'd love to find/make a skull with some LEDs to illuminate the stones when on display. Complete it with a cobra coiled on the top, too.

The Golden Idol

I'm considering making a custom Indy figure using Pitfall Indy and Horse Indy. I love my Pitfall Indy's headsculpt and upper body, but unarticulated legs just don't cut it. Is there any way I could remove Pitfall Indy's waist and legs and attach Horse Indy's waist and legs to the upper body of Pitfall Indy without damaging the figure? I'm sure there is a way. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The Golden Idol

DetectiveFork said:
How about just putting Pitfall Indy's head on Horse Indy's body?

I don't want to do this, because I like the dusty jacket present only on the Pitfall Indy and the stationary/unremovable bag because the buckle on the strap is always facing you while the bag is in the back, something you can't do with the removable bag. I can't really explain it, but the upper body (head and torso) are the perfect representation of Indy from Raiders. I'd like to add articulated legs to the Pitfall Indy torso so the legs would have good articulation and a functional whip clasp. Would the Horse Indy legs look good attached to the Pitfall Indy body? Is this possible to do?

DrBeezer

with hasbro figs, you usually have to crack the torso down the seem take out the legs, put in the new legs at the waist peg and re-glue.

SPECTER

i tried to take the legs off mine but they dont just pop off so i didnt feel like doing any real work on it. if you repaint the stubble on the Horse Indy it looks the best to me

indythecat

Here is a custom figure recipe I've made for my collection. I'll ATTEMPT to include a picture as well but I'm new to the boards and my personal posting rules say I may not post attachments so it may not work:

BELLOQ (IDOL THEFT)
You will need a Hasbro Belloq and Colonel Dovchenko figure and a Luke Skywalker Vintage Original Trilogy Collection figure.

Using an exacto knife, remove skirt from Dovchenko. Cut off his arms between shoulder and elbow joints. Pop off head. Use a dremel to sand off his bandolier and collar.

Cut the ball joint neck off Dovchenko and Belloq. Glue the Belloq ball joint to the Dovchenko body. Allow time for glue to dry, then pop Belloq head on Dovchenko body. Cut off Belloq's ark ceremony hat.

Cut the hat off Dovchenko's head, but only the "muffin top" part above the red star. Turn the muffin top upside down and glue to top of Belloq's head. It makes a perfect safari hat rim. Using a little air drying clay or sculpy, make the top part of safari hat and attach it to complete hat.

On the VOTC Luke Skywalker figure, cut the arms between the shoulder and elbow joints. Glue to Dovchenko's body. Cut up a thick rubber band so that you have two strips just long enough to wrap around arm once. Glue the two strips around each arm (being careful not to get glue on the arm joints) and you have rolled up sleeves for your Belloq figure.

Finally, just cut a shirt collar out of construction paper and glue to figure. If you feel really ambitious, you might cut some portion out of each leg so that this Belloq figure isn't taller than the Ark Ceremony Belloq. You can use air drying clay to blend seams away when you reattach legs. You can also paint a watch on his wrist if you like, then paint over figure's entire outfit ( I suggest a mix of trail tan and leaf green to get the right hue).

There you have it, a custom Idol Theft Belloq. I've made quite a few Indy customs; let me know if this was helpful and I will post some more recipes! I'll attempt the picture below but it may not work.

indythecat
[/IMG]

Club Obi Wan

indythecat said:
Here is a custom figure recipe I've made for my collection. I'll ATTEMPT to include a picture as well but I'm new to the boards and my personal posting rules say I may not post attachments so it may not work:

BELLOQ (IDOL THEFT)
You will need a Hasbro Belloq and Colonel Dovchenko figure and a Luke Skywalker Vintage Original Trilogy Collection figure.

Using an exacto knife, remove skirt from Dovchenko. Cut off his arms between shoulder and elbow joints. Pop off head. Use a dremel to sand off his bandolier and collar.

Cut the ball joint neck off Dovchenko and Belloq. Glue the Belloq ball joint to the Dovchenko body. Allow time for glue to dry, then pop Belloq head on Dovchenko body. Cut off Belloq's ark ceremony hat.

Cut the hat off Dovchenko's head, but only the "muffin top" part above the red star. Turn the muffin top upside down and glue to top of Belloq's head. It makes a perfect safari hat rim. Using a little air drying clay or sculpy, make the top part of safari hat and attach it to complete hat.

On the VOTC Luke Skywalker figure, cut the arms between the shoulder and elbow joints. Glue to Dovchenko's body. Cut up a thick rubber band so that you have two strips just long enough to wrap around arm once. Glue the two strips around each arm (being careful not to get glue on the arm joints) and you have rolled up sleeves for your Belloq figure.

Finally, just cut a shirt collar out of construction paper and glue to figure. If you feel really ambitious, you might cut some portion out of each leg so that this Belloq figure isn't taller than the Ark Ceremony Belloq. You can use air drying clay to blend seams away when you reattach legs. You can also paint a watch on his wrist if you like, then paint over figure's entire outfit ( I suggest a mix of trail tan and leaf green to get the right hue).

There you have it, a custom Idol Theft Belloq. I've made quite a few Indy customs; let me know if this was helpful and I will post some more recipes! I'll attempt the picture below but it may not work.

indythecat
[/IMG]

Man it sounds like you put alot of work into this figure and the link isnt working for me! :( I want to see this!

indythecat

My link doesn't work but you can try looking on photobucket and type "belloq" in the search and see if it shows you a picture of my custom by indythecat.

indythecat

Here's another recipe that's a little less complicated:

ARK GHOST:

You will need the Indy Adventure Heroes Ark Ghost and a holographic Darth Vader figure.

First cut off Darth Vader's gloves, head, and legs at upper thigh. Remove his cape but leave skirt. Use a dremel to sand off Darth's chest panel and belt details, shoulder pads, etc....

Cut the head off cutesy Adventure Hero Ark Ghost and glue to Darth's neck stump. Cut the ragged sleaves off Ghost and attach where Darth's gloves were. Cut the cartoony Mickey Mouse hands off Adventure Hero ghost sleeves and replace with Darth's fingers. Take what's left of Adventure Hero Ghost and glue to Darth's thigh stumps. Now your figure has an eerie base to stand up with.

Use an exacto knife to make Darth's skirt look tattered. Now cut his cape in half and tatter the bottom of it. Glue one half to front of figure and other to back of figure. This will conceal a lot of the aspects that show the figure to be patchwork. You can use a little Metallic Blue Sapphire paint to cover up any areas where super glue shows through on cape (but just dab the paint; you want a transparent look, not opaque).

Now you have an ark ghost to blow up your Belloq! If you want to see pictures of my Indy customs, go to photobucket and type "belloq" into the search. Click on the belloq by indythecat. Once you have that picture, you can click on other pictures by indythecat and see all my customs including:
Marcus Brody, Last Crusade Sallah, Toht, Club Obi Wan Indy. I'll be glad to share any of my recipes so you can make your own!

The Golden Idol

DrBeezer said:
with hasbro figs, you usually have to crack the torso down the seem take out the legs, put in the new legs at the waist peg and re-glue.

Will this damage the figure?

Also, would the Horse Indy legs look good attached to the Pitfall Indy body? I don't own a Horse Indy at the moment, so if someone could answer my questions, that'd be great.

Club Obi Wan

Ok looked at photobucket link, great ideas! the pics are a little grainy but thay all look very true to the original characters! :D

indythecat

Thanks for the feedback, folks! I've been waiting since 1981 to get my hands on a good Indy collection and I've gone a little custom crazy. The Raiders Chachapoyan playset was fun and justified the purchase of the pitfall and temple trap deluxe figures. My next projects will be Marion in gown from Raiders Ark opening scene, Mac and Oxley from Crystal Skull, and when they release Henry Sr. I'm buying two for an easy College Professor Indy custom.

DrBeezer

The Golden Idol said:
Will this damage the figure?

Also, would the Horse Indy legs look good attached to the Pitfall Indy body? I don't own a Horse Indy at the moment, so if someone could answer my questions, that'd be great.

Horse indy's legs have a wide crotch so as to fit on the horse more naturally... I'll take a compare picture for you tomorrow.

As for the splitting... it has the potential to if your reckless. You have to be careful. Find a very thin flat headed screw driver (like an electronics screwdriver, the ones meant for little screws), and an x-acto blade. heat the blade over the stove for a few seconds and gently work a seem, scoring the seem, do not pry with the blade, it'll snap and you might catch a piece in the eye, just slice a seem gently widening it, once you've given yourself enough of an opening use the screwdriver to gently but forcefully pry the figure apart. Take your time and watch how things are going and you shouldn't have any trouble. The key is to take your time. Good luck :)

DrBeezer

here's a compare pic for you.

On the left, my kitbashed Indy (Raiders head, KOTCS body) on the right is Horse Indy.

ijcompraidershorsejq9.jpg

The Golden Idol

DrBeezer said:
here's a compare pic for you.

On the left, my kitbashed Indy (Raiders head, KOTCS body) on the right is Horse Indy.

ijcompraidershorsejq9.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Can the KOTCS Indy sit on the horse?

Also, if you own a Pitfall Indy, can you please post a pic of Horse Indy wearing the Pitfall Indy jacket? I want to see how well the jacket arms of the Horse Indy match up with the jacket body of Pitfall Indy.