Action Figures compatible with Hasbro's Indiana Jones?

Montana Smith

What figures or playsets have you found to complement your Indian Jones 3 3/4" colelction? Ideally they would represent characters from the films that have so far remained unmade.

This might be a more vital question if Hasbro decide to never add to this line.

I'm looking for figures that resemble the same quality and period style, and are obviously a good match heightwise.

Figures labelled 1/18 byfrom 21st Century, Dragon or BBI look to be far too tall.

So far I've found the Golden Compass figures to be a good match for period style, size and quality sculpting.

From the Pirates of the Caribbean I have a Chinese pirate and a cannibal who wouldn't look out of place in a diorama.

The Harry Potter Great Hall playset makes a good stand in for a castle interior, and the Armies of Middle Earth Helm's Deep makes a passable exterior.

Matt

Lance Quazar

Unfortunately, yes, most 21st Century figures are too tall, but I've found a couple that are passable. 21st Century and related lines do make a number of vehicles, though (mostly tanks and airplanes) that work quite nicely with Indy.

I did buy a 21st Century kubelwagen which looks great, but is actually too small to fit many figures comfortably. I was able to cram in Else and Vogel, but now it's home to my legless German soldiers who gave their limbs for customizing purposes. (how the hell they expected to fit actual 21st Century figures, which, as we know, are bigger than Indy figures, I'll never know...)

Speaking of vehicles, Power Team Elite makes a great (and extremely cheap) jeep which looks like it could be straight out of WW2. Here's a picture (though the original colors were a more period appropriate olive green, not tan.) Not sure if this is easy to come by anymore.

3663476240_7c4d11de2e.jpg

I think Power Team Elite's camel (cheap in stores, though not widely available) is a must-buy for the Indy collector. It's appearance is slightly cartoonish, but works well in dioramas. PTE makes a number of other items - a watchtower, camping gear, furniture, etc. which are also good.

Many of the items feature in PTE sets can be bought on Marauders Gun Runners, where you can find pieces of furniture and random do-dads to pad out an Indy diorama (crates, chairs, tables, lockers, etc.) It's also home to the very cheap motorcycle with sidecar that countless customizers have appropriated to fashion into Henry's criminally unreleased conveyance.

You can also find tons of period 1:18 scale die cast cars, though they run a little on the expensive side and it can be hard to fit figures into their unforgiving shapes. However, I've seen a 1938 vintage mercedes staff car put to great use as a set of wheels for Vogel and his Nazi breathen.

21st Century also had a few playsets a number of years back - now hard to find on ebay and such - which would work very well for Indy. I have a couple of them, the fountain and one of the bombed buildings.

I also have the Helms Deep playset, which makes for a decent castle exterior.

I find most Golden Compass figures to be way too tall, but the Nicole Kidman figure works well with the Indy line.

Star Wars, of course, is perfectly compatible, but the outer space styles seldom work. Pick up a couple of the "Rebel Honor Guard" figure, though, for a good generic outfit that could work well in Indy's time and place.

I wish I had the Harry Potter Great Hall. A number of Harry Potter figures are well-proportioned with the Indy figures, though many of them tend to be too tall, particularly more recent releases.

A few figures from the DC Infinite Heroes line like Commissioner Gordon and the Question have good bodies for custom fodder, though many don't necessarily like the look of those figures in terms of joints and construction. The shoulders are the biggest problem, IMO.

Here is a page where I posted some comparison pics of some figures that I thought would make good Indy custom fodder -

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=13985&page=23

In short, good figures to use in the Indy verse are hard to come by, but there are options out there if you're willing to search for them.

Montana Smith

Thanks for supplying all that info, Lance.

I've been reading a lot of posts on the 1/18 section of the Small Scale Military HQ forum...

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=5f1ce14af125a24f54a72d53a2028490

...and have read the woes of those trying to cram their figures into the 21st Kubel! As an aside, I'm pretty sure the Kubelwagen was another Indy anachronism - a machine appearing before its time, as with MP38s and Flying Wings - but since this is pulp, and as Willie sings, 'Anything goes'. On that basis I went ahead and got the Admiral Toys 1/18 Messerschmitt ME262 - an experimental jet to stand in for the absent Flying Wing. It's a really nice, impressive model and looks good with the IJ cargo truck and troop car.

I hadn't heard of Power Team Elite, and haven't seen any here in the UK. I had wondered what the PTE referred to on that 1/18 forum.

I also hadn't noticed how much taller the Golden Compass figures were, until you mentioned it. They were standing atop the AOME castle towers, with Indy stood on the steps in front of the doors beneath them.

I have hundreds of Star Wars figures, but most of them, as you say, are incompatible in style. It's hard to see the potential beyond the iconic Star Wars look.

I used to have, years ago, several 1/18 diecast 1930s period cars and pickups, and wish I still had them, now that I have a valid use for them!

Your comparison pictures are very helpful.

Matt

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet on the boards, but this May Macfarlene Toys is releasing 4 inch "Prince of Persia" figures, including some horses and a playset. No pictures have been released yet, so I can't say for sure if they will be compatible with the Indy line, but there is definite potential.

Also, if you check out my recent pics in the diorama thread, you'll see that the Jurassic Park III human figures fit in pretty well with Indy.

inky_skin

Montana Smith said:
I hadn't heard of Power Team Elite, and haven't seen any here in the UK. I had wondered what the PTE referred to on that 1/18 forum.

Don't know your exact location in the UK, but Toymaster stores (at least my local one in Exeter) stock the PTE line and currently carry the motorcycle and sidecar for around £7.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Charlemagne, thanks for the heads up. I'm a big fan of Todd McFarlane's figures, so a 4" scale Prince of Persia playset sounds a very interesting prospect.

inky skin, I discovered that PTE go under the name of 'World Peacekeepers' here in the UK. I live in rural Herefordshire and the nearest thing we have to a real toyshop is somewhere like Tesco or Asda (what with the sad demise of dear old Woolies :( )

I searched 'World Peackeepers' on Ebay and saw there is also a horse, but probably not as nice as Indy's Arabian.

Another series of figures that I 've seen used in photos here, that I didn't mention, is Army of Darkness. The Deadites look like they make good scale skeletons and decomposing corpses... and where would Indy be without a good dose of them?

Matt

Montana Smith said:
Another series of figures that I 've seen used in photos here, that I didn't mention, is Army of Darkness. The Deadites look like they make good scale skeletons and decomposing corpses... and where would Indy be without a good dose of them?

Matt

Yup... a few bodies are joining up to make a Orellana corpse & some others mixed & matched with a GIJoe Skeleton I picked up off ebay are going to become the Grail Knight from the Venice Catacombs...

Lance Quazar

ddschneider1972 said:
Yup... a few bodies are joining up to make a Orellana corpse & some others mixed & matched with a GIJoe Skeleton I picked up off ebay are going to become the Grail Knight from the Venice Catacombs...

Some have speculated that the GI Joe Skeleton from the Arise, Serpentor, Arise battlepack WAS created by Hasbro to be "Sir Richard" for the Indy line, but was cancelled and repurposed. I don't think it looks quite enough like the "character" from the movie, but it's an interesting hypothesis.

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
Charlemagne, thanks for the heads up. I'm a big fan of Todd McFarlane's figures, so a 4" scale Prince of Persia playset sounds a very interesting prospect.

inky skin, I discovered that PTE go under the name of 'World Peacekeepers' here in the UK. I live in rural Herefordshire and the nearest thing we have to a real toyshop is somewhere like Tesco or Asda (what with the sad demise of dear old Woolies :( )

I searched 'World Peackeepers' on Ebay and saw there is also a horse, but probably not as nice as Indy's Arabian.

Matt

Here's a UK site which sells World Peacekeepers, including the motorcycle with sidecar and the excellent jeep (in its proper colors).

http://www.lambstoys.co.uk/acatalog/World_Peacekeepers.html

Errex

In termos of size, the new Avatar figures kind of work, the humans as custom fodder and the aliens should fit in right after Crystal Skull.

RulkyJake009.jpg

Errex

Yes the heads pop out, but by the way they are designed they function pretty much as regular swivels.

I haven't seen any humans from this line yet, but my guess is they will be roughly the same size as the DCIH figures, so their utility as custom fodder is dubious.

Montana Smith

Joosse said:
That certainly looks like it could be used! (y)

Is that a Dutch site, by the way? :confused:

Hi Joosse,

It looks like it is, it has .nl in the address. I went Googling for pictures and it was the first one I landed on.

I've never played the game so I don't know what significance the Alamut Gate has, but I hope the traps are well hidden for diorama purposes!

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=57058

The 4" Price Dastan figure looks pretty good. There is also talk on the Forbidden Planet site of 4 assassin figs (but no pics) that could be compatible with Indy. Full listing for Wave 1 is:

Warrior Dastan
Desert Dastan
Seso
Lead Hassansin (Zolm)
Double Bladed Hassansin (Ghazab)
Porcupine Hassansin (Setam)

This looks like it could be a good line with some good gear for Indy. I suspect the horses will absolutely dwarf the Indy horse.

But I can't help but laugh out loud every time I consider they cast Jake Gyllenhaal as a Persian.

Seriously?????