Indiana Jones IV - Ideas to save the series

IndyJr.

I'm not an Indiana Jones IV hater... I think it's pretty good (not as good as the other three, of course). But in all movies there's room for improvement, and KotCS is no exception.

What things do you think they could do to get Indy V up to the caliber that the originals stepped up to?

I think Steven could put more effort into suspense as well as drama. Stories that stand out from The Mummy and War of the World's could be nice. <_<

I think the next main villain could be a man... I'm not a woman-hatting, man supremacist, but personally I've never felt that women are as good as being villainy than men are. :p

Also a villain who's kind of like Belloq in that he's a rival archeologist of Indy's. Less CG would be nice as well as a more 80's/90's approach to effects would be nice, without it looking corny.

MolaRam2

A darker storyline and more grit. The Mayans were a bloody culture, and unfortenately KOTCS completely ignored the human sacrifice component of Mayan culture.

Horchata

All good ideas! I definetly agree the CG in V wouldn't be missed. A rival archeologist might be cool again. But perhaps the Mayan people themselves protecting what Indy seeks.

Agent Z

IndyJr. said:
Also a villain who's kind of like Belloq in that he's a rival archeologist of Indy's.

Let's just not have another Belloq though. The last thing we need is another villain afraid to get his hands dirty and who could be taken out by Short Round. Yawn.

Crusade>Raiders

Yeah, but Belloq was the best villain because he was the shade of grey. In the war between macho hot-tempered Americans and nervous German spies peaking over magazine covers, Belloq is the French, the guy who, as much as Indy hates to admit, is very similar to. They both love rare artifacts, and will fight, steal, even kill to obtain them.

Anyway, we need a much better script, Much better dialogue, better character development, less complete absurd situations, and more stunts.

Agent Z

Crusade>Raiders said:
Yeah, but Belloq was the best villain because he was the shade of grey. In the war between macho hot-tempered Americans and nervous German spies peaking over magazine covers, Belloq is the French, the guy who, as much as Indy hates to admit, is very similar to. They both love rare artifacts, and will fight, steal, even kill to obtain them.

I will agree that Belloq worked in Raiders, but he was a one and done deal. Belloq's parallel to Indy was so specific that it worked fine in that story.

Temple of Doom was a cartoon, so it needed a cartoonish villain. Mission accomplished.

Last Crusade's villains were so unmemorable....like they were lifted from a tv pilot.

Crusade>Raiders said:
Anyway, we need a much better script, Much better dialogue, better character development, less complete absurd situations, and more stunts.

Amen! :hat:

sandiegojones

Maybe it could take place in southeast Asia in the late 50's or 1960. The pre-war adventures have a nice tension. The French were in Vietnam before the U.S. and the communists were all over that area. Thailand and Cambodia have interesting temples. I'm sure there is some artifact that could be used there. They could still use commies (Commies, I hate these guys!), but have some Chinese soldiers.

This could be a promising location: http://www.batour.com/images/gallery/thailand036.jpg

They have monkeys in Thailand too!

MolaRam2

sandiegojones said:
Maybe it could take place in southeast Asia in the late 50's or 1960. The pre-war adventures have a nice tension. The French were in Vietnam before the U.S. and the communists were all over that area. Thailand and Cambodia have interesting temples. I'm sure there is some artifact that could be used there. They could still use commies (Commies, I hate these guys!), but have some Chinese soldiers.

This could be a promising location: http://www.batour.com/images/gallery/thailand036.jpg

The Soviets should not be in Indy 5. Indy 5 should pull a Batman Begins and try very hard to make the audience forget the travesty of Indy 4.

Jim Tigernuts

sandiegojones said:

Along the lines of The Quiet American but set around Angkor Wat and more cartoonish!? Great idea. Someone get George Lucas on the blower.