TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
BlackSleep
IndyFan

Most basic of typos

Was in Waldenbooks at the mall, wasting time and noticed the ToD Scholastic paperback that just came out. I was flipping through it to see how cheesy the writing was, and noticed on page 1 it says Indiana Jones is a professor of anthropology...uh...what? I know there are similarities between the fields of anthropology and archaeology, and a lot of crossover, but come on. Indy is an archaeologist. What gives?
BlackSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Anthropology is a broad field, and as taught in the Americas is divided into four major subfields - archaeology, physical (biological) anthropology, cultural anthropology, and linguistics. There's also a lot of interdisciplinary overlap, as well as what's sometimes referred to as the "fifth field," applied anthropology. Outside the Americas, archaeology is often considered more a subdiscipline of history, but even there there's overlap with the other anthropological subdisciplines.

So yeah, it's fair to call an archaeologist an anthropologist, in the same way one might refer to, say, a herpetologist (someone who studies reptiles and amphibians) simply as a biologist.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
eroc
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Anthropology is a broad field, and as taught in the Americas is divided into four major subfields - archaeology, physical (biological) anthropology, cultural anthropology, and linguistics. There's also a lot of interdisciplinary overlap, as well as what's sometimes referred to as the "fifth field," applied anthropology. Outside the Americas, archaeology is often considered more a subdiscipline of history, but even there there's overlap with the other anthropological subdisciplines.

So yeah, it's fair to call an archaeologist an anthropologist, in the same way one might refer to, say, a herpetologist (someone who studies reptiles and amphibians) simply as a biologist.

Well said Dr. Whip! Indy would have hated your analogy though.
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Crack that whip
IndyFan

¡Gracias! I did try to make the comparison vaguely Indy-relevant.

"Dr. Whip," eh? Not for a while yet, I'm afraid... but someday, I hope! I actually do hope to eventually earn an anthropology PhD, but I have a long way to go (I just have my BA at the moment), and my chosen subfield is cultural anthro, not arc, but arc does interest me as well, of course.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote