The fate of Mac and the Soviets?

Spriggan Jones

Attila the Professor said:
Also, I have to disagree with those who say that Spalko was killed because she was evil. It was making a point about knowledge, and, really, about the communist pretension to science, saying that if you were to know everything, you really have to be either God or dead. No mere human has that potential. Hubris, gang.

I look at this way, there's a reason these aliens have crystal skeletons. It's like "burning" a CD. Spalko's carbon based body simply couldn't handle it.:dead:

Udvarnoky

Sam Falco said:
Its not awful writing, Mac had accepted the fact that he was a traitorous ******* who was getting what he deserved. His reassuring last words to Indy was meant so that Indy wouldnt keep trying to save him, thus getting himself killed in the process.

I agree that this is what the movie was trying to convey, but it did so incredibly poorly. Whether the blame lay in the writing, directing, or editing, I think it should have been handled better. First off, I don't like how Mac falls. In the movie, it looks like he just falls down because of a sudden tremor that the temple makes, and that all he has to do is just get up. I didn't see any evidence of him being "pulled" away until after he delivers his last line. I mean, it seriously looks like he's just lying on his stomach because he's too lazy to get up.

In the various novelizations and the comic book, it's made much more clear that the magnetic force is pulling Mac back because of all the loot and gold he's stuffed in his pockets. Also, we're told that Mac intentionally lets go to save Indy and the others, and because he recognizes that he's not worth saving. For whatever reason the movie opts to make it much more confusing and sloppy. Mac should have been visibly being sucked back from the moment he falls over, and we should have been given a clear shot of Mac voluntarily letting go of the whip. It probably would have also helped if a moment was taken to show Mac's deliberation, instead him suddenly changing his attitude out of nowhere. As it is, his saying, "Jonesy, I'm gonna be alright" was the biggest WTF moment of the film.

Last edited:

Sam Falco

Well then I'd chalk that up to bad editing, because the way Ray Winstone played that moment definitely suggests that there was way more to that scene than what we saw.

Mickiana

The fate of Mac and the soldiers? Much probing by the aliens where it probably isn't welcome. A bit like the scientific whaling of the Japanese, except the whales are worse off...

graz

Jones_Happens said:
To the powers that be...please don't make a spin-off about Mac's adventures in another dimension.

Thank you for your time.

Shhhhhhhhhh.. stop giving Lucas ideas! :p

blueseattle

Dr. Wolfwood said:
The entire ending sequence was a bit unclear... Would the same brainmelt have happened to Indy if he had returned the skull where it belonged to (like he seemed to be trying to do)?

And why did the aliens have a spaceship if they also had interdimensional portals that they could have used? :confused:

This is where the movie suffers the most, for me. It's such a rushed, wrapped up ending that even looking back now.. I can't believe it happened that way.

Four times I've seen this and I've been back and forth on whether or not I've really enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm a little lost.

ChromiumBlue37

This is exactly how I have felt. I can understand the interdimensional beings traveling through a vortex, and flying discs, but not together.

Is the Flying Disc a vehicle that houses portal technology? If the beings can use portals, then why are the Flying Discs necessary? Also seems to conflict with the Nazca Lines being seem from so far above.

Doesn't Mac smash against a wall as he is being pulled off?
-Thus breaking his back (very apt for a spineless sod). He may have a few gold pots and pans but he also has a shattered vertebrae. Greed. Never pays.

vf wing

Mac's change of heart did seem awfully quick. One or two more lines of dialogue could have smoothed out his transition.

Great Cloud

Spalko's line, "No! Stop! It's toooo muuuuuch!!!" before her eyes melt out and she vaporizes made me believe that her psychic powers made her mind a lightening rod for the aliens' psychic powers. They either inadvertenly killed her or they deduced that she was evil and willing destroyed her. Mac and the soviets getting sucked into the vortex was a little more vague. Whether or not they were killed with be left to the annals of fan fiction.

michael

Another dimension, another dimension...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7UnhSz1fSQ&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7UnhSz1fSQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>