Belloq Swallows a Bug

The_Raiders

Someone also pointe the fly out to me to, it's like he din't even notice and/or care a bug was lurking in his mouth :sick:

ReggieSnake

The_Raiders said:
Someone also pointe the fly out to me to, it's like he din't even notice and/or care a bug was lurking in his mouth :sick:
He did a good job of ignoring the fly during the shoot.

ReggieSnake

Yeah, you'd think so. It was probably not noticed until it was too late to be worth reshooting. Or maybe they shot it several times and that was the best shoot regardless of the fly. Who knows?

The_Raiders

ReggieSnake said:
He did a good job of ignoring the fly during the shoot.

Yes he did, I sure wouldn't have if I were him, I wouda been shaking my head everywhere and spitting, I guess that's why I'm not an actor :rolleyes:

Stoo

From "The Official Indiana Jones Magazine" #5, pg. 32:

French Flies
Even Steven Spielberg is convinced that actor Paul Freeman (Belloq) swallowed a fly
when Indy threatens the Ark with a grenade launcher. "I have inspected those frames
the way some people have inspected the Zapruder film. That fly went into Paul Freeman's
mouth and Paul was so absorbed that he didn't realize he'd swallowed the bugger." But the
official Indiana Jones website refutes this version of events, stating that the fly instead
rapidly moves from Belloq's face and onto Nazi Dietrich's lapel.

----
I rewatched this scene and Spielberg didn't "inspect" it enough. The website is right.:whip:
The fly moves to Dietrich's lower collar after flying off Belloq's mouth but the question of
edited frames still remains. Unfortunately, Canyon's interview with P.Freeman in no longer
at the link above and I don't remember what he had to say about the insect incident.
Did anyone ever manage to find the source of this editing rumour (as discussed on page 1)?

Crack that whip

I don't know, but for the record, I always assumed the fly just flew rapidly away. I'd have thought everybody knows how flies routinely take off so quickly they can be hard to visually track.

I do remember noticing the fly (and hearing one or two other audience members mention it) when first seeing the movie in the theater, back in the day (of course, on a movie theater screen, even a fly can seem huge, if it's crawling on the lip of an actor in close-up as he's speaking).

Short Rounded

Stoo said:
During the canyon scene in "Raiders" it appears that
Belloq swallows an insect. Did it just fly away quickly
or did Paul Freeman continue acting after it crawled
into his mouth?
I don't know...the bug comes out of nowhere as if edited. But it appears that he just keeps on acting.

James

Stoo said:
The fly moves to Dietrich's lower collar after flying off Belloq's mouth

I don't believe it's the same fly. You can clearly see flies buzzing around throughout the scene. For example, one flies past Indy as he says the line, "Then your Fuhrer has no prize." Then after Belloq says, "This is history," one actually lands on the RPG Indy is holding.

The crew has always said that the flies were so thick in Tunisia, you could scarcely open your mouth. Now we have no way of knowing if it was some kind of editing in-joke, but Spielberg certainly would.

The fly does seem to appear out of nowhere on Belloq's cheek, but so does the one on Dietrich's lapel. I don't think Paul Freeman actually swallowed the fly, but it does look as though he ignored it long enough to finish the take.

The Drifter

Hey, it was a desolate desert and poor Bellog did not have his family label or any food, so he had to eat something!

If you look carefully at Belloq before he starts expressing his surprise at Indy's persistence, the fly disappears from where it was crawling on his temple. It would next appear on his chin. Next, look behind Belloq after the supposed insect snack -- a fly almost magically appears on Dietrich's lapel, without appearing in any previous frames. Dietrich looks to be standing farther away due to the camera lens, but he's only one step behind Belloq, suggesting that it may possibly be the same fly. The sound department also made sure to add the sound of the fly escaping in the left audio channel. Be sure to watch for another fly that crawls across Ford's nose when Indiana Jones finds Marion tied up and alive in the tent at the Tanis dig site.

so wah mu

You know how to eat flies -don't you?

Niteshade007 said:
Still, you'd think they'd do a reshoot.

maybe they were shooting over budget and had to do it on the...fly.
-still does it get a mention on the credits?

CinemaBoy

Belloq and the fly thing

:whip: Hi, All

Just seen this thread. I've had the chance to meet Paul freeman once or twice and this fly gag came up in conversation. According to Paul he never ate the fly. The sound and editing guys used it as a joke. If anyone gets to meet him he has some great stories about this kinda thing.

Not much for Twitter...

...But Pegg is cool!

Tweets

simonpegg :In other news, delighted to be working with Belloq himself today. Paul Freeman is on set and EET'S BEAUDIFUL!!!

simonpegg : Fab stories from Paul Freeman today. Apparently there maybe a community of snakes living at Elstree Studios descended from Raiders escapees.

simonpegg : And for the record, he never ate the fly. It took off faster than the frame rate of the camera and thus appears to go into his mouth.And for the record, he never ate the fly. It took off faster than the frame rate of the camera and thus appears to go into his mouth.

simonpegg : And this Belloq telling me this. Not some guy who knew a grip whose dad worked on the movie. Rene Belloq, the evil French archaeologist.