The Dark Knight Rises

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
I think that there is a very big difference between hallucinogenic drugs (which do actually exist) and science experiments gone awry which create supervillains.

Sure, you could come up with SOME kind of scientific explanation, even one grounded in real science. But scientific superfreaks are the realm of the Spider-Man films and, IMHO, they just aren't appropriate in the Nolan Batman universe.

I'm not really talking science as in scientifically created superheroes (not the way radiation is used as an explantation for the creation of a huge variety of superheroes). A lot of the Batman villains weren't super-powered, but merely humans who by virtue of their own invention made themselves into powerful villains: The Joker with his scheming yet chaotic mind; the Catwoman was a gymnast at the top of her game; the Penguin, as The Tingler wrote, could very well be just a "shady arms dealer".

Mr Freeze is an exception, since he changes his own biology by accident.

The Batman himself is 'the world's greatest detective', and a human at the peak level of fitness. If he has to go up against super-powered opponents he needs to employ powerful weapons, armour and gadgetry - as with his battles with Superman.

In The Dark Knight Returns, as I wrote in another thread, Superman tells him: "Bruce...this is...idiotic. You're just bone and meat...like all the rest." Bruce subesquently has (or fakes) a heart attack, appears to get buried, but in reality goes and hides in order to rebuild and plan for the future. Batman has his limits, and that's what makes him interesting.

Scientific advance in a Nolan's world ought to be at a level which we can believe might be just around the corner. Not the sort of random science where radiation can create a Hulk, or a Spider-Man, or any other mutant variation.

Indy Scout 117

Goonie said:
We got a date, now the big question is, who will be the baddie?
y'know, i think i heard something about the riddler being the bad guy. the thing i like about the new batman movies is how dark they portray all the characters, especially the bad guys. they arent so.....colorful and cartoonish like they were intended to be, but they are darker, greater, maybe even scarier, and just all around better portrayed characters. y'know what im saying?? i just think that the new batman movies is the way batman should be: the hero is a vigilante, the batmobile is a tank, the bad guys are dark evil characters (instead of loony toon-like villians). THAT is how batman should be. period. (y) :cool:

kongisking

Indy Scout 117 said:
y'know, i think i heard something about the riddler being the bad guy. the thing i like about the new batman movies is how dark they portray all the characters, especially the bad guys. they arent so.....colorful and cartoonish like they were intended to be, but they are darker, greater, maybe even scarier, and just all around better portrayed characters. y'know what im saying?? i just think that the new batman movies is the way batman should be: the hero is a vigilante, the batmobile is a tank, the bad guys are dark evil characters (instead of loony toon-like villians). THAT is how batman should be. period. (y) :cool:

You're absolutely right. Before the Nolan films, I was never that into Batman. What Nolan did was take the character and make it something relevant, poignant, and realistic. He made the Batman a genuine portrayal of a superhero.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
More rumour mill here:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/16794/batman-3-confirmed.html

Top of the list of possible villains is Johny Depp as The Riddler, which was suggested long ago.

Still like to see Bane, though. Never liked The Riddler, even less so after Jim Carrey took the role.

They could Nolanize the Riddler easily. Just make him a mysterious Zodiac killer-type of guy.

Imagine murdered people with a bloody question mark carved into their bodies, holding the Riddler's clue to his next huge crime. Even more detective work for the Batman!

Here's my complete premise for what I think would be a perfect Batman 3:

The Caped Crusader

Batman is now a wanted criminal, and Commissioner James Gordon is forced to have to meet Batman in secret, so they can continue their quest to rid Gotham of crime, while keeping up the illusion that he and his men are trying to arrest the Dark Knight. Meanwhile, a new menace appears on the scene: a stranger who calls himself "The Riddler", and specializes in extremely complicated robberies, always preceded by large murders where he leaves clues to his location by the victim's body. He is playing a sick game of catch-me-if-you-can with Gotham police, and Batman has no choice but to enlist the help of the Gotham citizens dressed up as Batmen, making them his own army of followers, to decipher the clues and try to stop the Riddler's next big crime: the assassination of James Gordon.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
They could Nolanize the Riddler easily. Just make him a mysterious Zodiac killer-type of guy.

Imagine murdered people with a bloody question mark carved into their bodies, holding the Riddler's clue to his next huge crime. Even more detective work for the Batman!

The Caped Crusader

Batman is now a wanted criminal, and Commissioner James Gordon is forced to have to meet Batman in secret, so they can continue their quest to rid Gotham of crime, while keeping up the illusion that he and his men are trying to arrest the Dark Knight. Meanwhile, a new menace appears on the scene: a stranger who calls himself "The Riddler", and specializes in extremely complicated robberies, always preceded by large murders where he leaves clues to his location by the victim's body. He is playing a sick game of catch-me-if-you-can with Gotham police, and Batman has no choice but to enlist the help of the Gotham citizens dressed up as Batmen, making them his own army of followers, to decipher the clues and try to stop the Riddler's next big crime: the assassination of James Gordon.

That could work - it reminds me of the Saw movies, with Jigsaw or his assistant cutting a jigsaw shape out of the victim as a calling card. The Saw series was about elaborate puzzles, and The Riddler is about Riddles.

The Riddler would also need an assistant - some muscle - someone like Bane? (But not permanently dressed as a masked wrestler, though!)

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
The Riddler would also need an assistant - some muscle - someone like Bane? (But not permanently dressed as a masked wrestler, though!)

Good idea! Nice way to work Bane in there. Just portray him as a seriously mean hitman, and it'll turn out great.

JP Jones

Man, I'm really excited for this movie. Batman Begins is my hands down favorite superhero movie of all time. You're all probably thinking "WHAT!?, not the dark knight?" Well the dark knight was pretty cool especially the begining and the chase in the middle, and it "felt" like batman, yet there were very few batman essentials in it (The batcave/Wayne manor, The batmobile, and other batman-esque locations). A lot of it looked like law and order rather than batman. Now begins was a "real-life" superhero movie, where the dark knight was a real-life drama with some wicked action at pionts.

So back to bats 3. Here's what I want. Nolan should not say "TDK was so good I'm not changing anything" He should combine the atmosphere of Begins with the action and villians atmosphere of TDK. Speaking of villians, can you say the Riddler and Two-Face? I love the idea of the riddler's zodiac-killer type personality and two-face did nothing in TDK. If this happens, Batman 3 will blow Begins out of the water.

Indy Scout 117

kongisking said:

The Caped Crusader

WOW!!! this sounds great!!! the part i dont really care for is the Gotham citizens dressed as batman part. but the rest is AMAZING!!! you should be a director or something :cool: but the part with Gordon's assasination: true genius. (y) johnny depp would make a great riddler too. i can see that being a success.

YouNeverKnow

I'm still very lukewarm about The Riddler. The thing I have appreciated about Nolan's Batverse is how unexpected the villains have been. Maybe I'm not phrasing that correctly. What I mean to say is Ra's al Ghul and The Joker kept surprising me when I first saw the movies, they tend not to follow a particular formula and I really like that. With The Riddler I just think that it will be a retread of movies like Se7en and Zodiac, and even to a lesser extent The Joker, with some of his hints and games and clues.

I would love to see a Killer Croc based on the look of Brian Azzarello's Joker make an appearance - only a small one, like Zsasz in Batman Begins.
Also I think a new love interest for Bruce should be introduced, which is why I personally want Talia al Ghul. That relationship has such great potential for tension, what with Bruce having killed (?) her dad and all.

But then, I'm out of ideas for a main villain. They kind of used all plausible ones already. Too bad Two-Face is dead.

Dr Bones

The Riddler has been portayed as bit of a wannabe in the comics but Hush was a good Riddler plot line. They could play this angle?

I agree with Kongsiking that the Riddler if done seriously could be really great with the right actor and script.

Most importantly maybe we could see Batman flexing his grey matter rather than just sneakimg around duffing folk up!

Batman finally becoming the detective in order to solve the Riddler's crimes.

I really like Jonny Depp, but he's a bit too over exposed for my liking at the moment. He's doing kid flicks these days and Nolan's take on Batman maybe a retrodgrade career step in his eyes. Although on current form it may be good advice for him to step away from Burton for a while....Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate factory...pee yew!:sick:

No super villains...no Robin or other sidekicks...no revealing his identity to the latest chick or anyone else.

Batman needs to be a detective now...pimp out the cave and get some new wheels and gizmos...maybe a new suit too. I like to see Gotham reacting to Batman, is he hero or villain, man or myth?

Indy Scout 117

Montana Smith said:
More rumour mill here:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/16794/batman-3-confirmed.html

Top of the list of possible villains is Johny Depp as The Riddler, which was suggested long ago.

Still like to see Bane, though. Never liked The Riddler, even less so after Jim Carrey took the role.
ok heres my thoughts on this link:

Riddler is a great idea, and Depp would make an awesome Riddler.

Mr Freeze....uh...no (n)

catwoman: i dont think so, but megan fox...oooohhh!! :p

Bane can definitely be a side character, like the main villian's henchman. good idea.

harley quinn...possibly, but im leaning more towards no...

the Penguin would also make a good villain, i think. just have to Nolanize him ;)

Robin: HELL NO!!! Batman being a vigilante is the way batman should be, and robin would just screw that all up. (n)

i know that Nolan will make these villains, whichever one he choses (my opinion: riddler or penguin) more of a darker character. as i had said before, he does a great job with that. like the joker for example: the best way i can put this is that he made the Joker more of a psychotic, deranged criminal mastermind rather than 'the clown prince of crime', if you get what i mean.

FedoraHead

I haven't read all the replies here so sorry if talked about.
How about Anarky for the next movie? Sure is not the well know to non-comic reads but he fits in the 'real' world better than a riddler or catwoman. Anarky is kind of a Robin Hood outlaw. He hurts the mobs/bad guys to help the poor of the city. It would give conflict making Batman have to project the mobs he helps fight in 1 & 2. I don't like that anarky is a kid, so I guess change that or just make him young would work better. Like early 20s. In one of the comic's they say Anarky (spelling like that) is the son of the Joker. Anarky would be a very good side villian (anti villian) He could be the one who sticks up for the little guy who commits crimes only to survive while batman would stop them from commiting crimes. Anarky is the Champion of the opperressed while Batman is the champion of the law. Anarky in the movie would leave Batman and the veiwer wondering who is really doing the right thing. This would be a great point in any batman film.