What do you think Indy's obsession is?

FedoraHead

It seems most people Indy knew had an obsession for one lost treasure. What do you think Indy is obsession about? Indy says Abner's obession was the lost Ark, we know Henry's was the Grail, and I guess Ox and Indy's obession was for the crystal during school but it seemed Indy forgot about it and OX keep looking (and talking about it). It seems a running theme that anyone in Jones' line of work is obsession with one lost thing. I guess we have no clue for Indy's but any ideas? Maybe the next movie should deal with this.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, he'd been looking for the Cross of Coronado "all his life." That always seemed to me to be meant as a parallel to Henry's Grail quest.

Montana Smith

I think, aside from the Cross of Coronado, Indy's obsession is whatever task he has his mind set on at any one time. Like Belloq he dearly loves to claim the prize that is almost impossible to gain.

He rises to the challenge of the Ark, and it's pretty clear throughout ROTLA that he will stop at nothing to take possession of it - from charging after a German motorized convoy on horseback, to leaping into the water after a sinking U-Boat.

Montana Smith

He says he does it for "fortune and glory". Yet that seems like a glib Indy response. I think he really does it for the love of adventure, the quest, the challenge. I don't know what Indy would do if he ever found his fortune. He'd be bored sitting at home surrounded by luxury - he'd be off on another adventure.

That's why I can't see his marriage to Marion lasting long. He's probably obsessed with the idea of freedom more than anything else. When he's teaching he constantly wants to escape his duty to the students. He's a free and very determined spirit.

FedoraHead

I think his Fortune and glory was more of the younger TOD Indiana. I think my Raiders he was out of the mind frame.

Perhilion

Despite what he says, I think he's after truth. I think Indy approaches archaeology like a mystery, and the prospect of uncovering the truth is what drives him. Or maybe that's me...

Exulted Unicron

It depends on how you look at the movies. In Raiders, it was the Fertility Idol. He even was begging Marcus to get him a ticket to Marrakesh before being told that the US Government wanted him to go after the Ark. In Temple of Doom, it was the Fortune and Glory, after the grand prize and sell them for a grand profit. In Last Crusade, it was the Cross to begin with, but then changed into his father.

Later adventures and even pre-movie adventures were about finding what he wanted and the adventure to get it

The Drifter

FedoraHead said:
I think his Fortune and glory was more of the younger TOD Indiana. I think my Raiders he was out of the mind frame.

He was not that much younger in Temple of Doom.
Doom took place in the summer of 1935 and Raiders was in late 1936. Just a little over a year in all.

Montana Smith

Perhilion said:
Despite what he says, I think he's after truth. I think Indy approaches archaeology like a mystery, and the prospect of uncovering the truth is what drives him. Or maybe that's me...

To quote Indy from The Last Crusade:

"Archaeology is...the search for fact. Not truth. If it?s truth you?re interested in, Doctor Tyree?s Philosophy class is right down the hall."

He's obsessed with the challenge, and in every challenge is the chance of securing the facts (or the object itself).

I Don Quixote

Well, in the field, he is just set on what he's searching for, and it is his current obsession.

Outside the field? Collecting unicorn statuettes.

Mickiana

I think it is fortune and glory. He doesn't seem to particularly enjoy his adventures. Sure, he's prepared for them and throws himself into them, but they are a means to an end, to getting his fortune and glory. It's just that he doesn't always get that.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Lucas may own Indiana Jones, thank god others helped to shape him.

"Thank Heaven for Little Girls" was written in 1957, the same year in which KOTCS was set.

Wonder how hard they had to fight to get George to relinquish it in favour of "Hound Dog"?