Scriptwriter for Indy 5?

caats

Indy's brother said:
Forget all those guys. I'm knee-deep in research right now, penning my own version of Indy 5. It's got everything. A genuine sense of danger, possibly two femme fatales, a change in scenery, a natural disaster, a creepy crawlie that no one has mentioned, yet everyone has heard of. And an epic, ethereal fight for the end of his quest. As soon as it gets shot down and I get a rejection letter, I'll post the whole darn thing. (somewhere, anyway). Otherwise, my lips are sealed for now.

(I want to spill it sooooo bad!)

where do you send it?

Indy's brother

caats said:
where do you send it?

Typically, studios, directors, producers, etc. don't accept unsolicited material. That is where an agent comes into play. I don't expect much from an agent, though I must and will go that way first. But I have a secret plan to get my screenplay noticed. A plan that does not invade on the private or public lives of those whom I intend to influence. Nor do I intend on using the internet to garner attention. Again, beyond that, my lips are sealed. Sorry for jacking this thread, I'm just amped to talk about my project even though I've sworn myself to secrecy. It's tough.

To get back on topic, I'd like to see a Shane Black take a stab at it. He wrote Kiss kiss bang bang, the entire Lethal Weapon series, (including Lethal Weapon 3 (*ouch*)), The Last Boy Scout (Yeah!!), and Last Action Hero. Whatever difference there is stylistically from his work and the IJ franchise could easily be smoothed out by the influence of Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford.

Indy's brother

Mickiana said:
Seduce us with your wares...

In due time, in another thread. Trust me, this isn't just another fan script. My screenplay is a serious attempt at a legitimate installment to the franchise. If my opening third act can't hook you guys, I don't know what you all would want. Btw, Micky, I see that you are a boilermaker and a welder, I am a member of the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Ironworkers. (Local 393 Aurora, Illinois-my home town) We do some of the same work! I actually went through my 4 year apprenticeship with a former boilermaker.

But enough about me. For Indy 5 I also wouldn't mind seeing Christopher Nolan make the writing effort. He was responsible for the mind-bending film Memento, The Prestige, and don't forget The Dark Knight.

Mickiana

IB, I love bridges too. I worked on the construction of a large pedestrian bridge in Brisbane. I now work on the Maintenance crew on the largest bridge, called the Storey Bridge, here in Brisvegas, as we lovingly call our home town. It was opened in the early 40s and is a riveted bridge. The super structure is heritage listed and it's a great place to work. Sorry to all for digressing from the thread topic.

Crusade>Raiders

Indy's brother said:
To get back on topic, I'd like to see a Shane Black take a stab at it. He wrote Kiss kiss bang bang, the entire Lethal Weapon series, (including Lethal Weapon 3 (*ouch*)), The Last Boy Scout (Yeah!!), and Last Action Hero. Whatever difference there is stylistically from his work and the IJ franchise could easily be smoothed out by the influence of Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford.

Shane Black did NOT write the entire Lethal Weapon Series. He wrote the first film, came up with the story for the second one, and gets credit for the characters in 3 and 4. He also only wrote parts of Last Action hero.

Also, while Shane Black is easily one of my favorite screenwriters, he's a bit more...R-rated don't you think? Make no mistake, I will see ANYTHING Shane Black writes(LW1, Last Boy Scout, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang being favorite films of mine), but I don't know if he'd be right for Indiana Jones, ya know?

Indy's brother

Crusade>Raiders said:
Shane Black did NOT write the entire Lethal Weapon Series. He wrote the first film, came up with the story for the second one, and gets credit for the characters in 3 and 4. He also only wrote parts of Last Action hero.

Hey, just going by what I got off of IMDB.

Also, while Shane Black is easily one of my favorite screenwriters, he's a bit more...R-rated don't you think? Make no mistake, I will see ANYTHING Shane Black writes(LW1, Last Boy Scout, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang being favorite films of mine), but I don't know if he'd be right for Indiana Jones, ya know?

I'd love to see Indy get the "R" rating from a Shane Black treatment of the Indyverse. (I know there would never be an "R" Indy, just sayin') I think that Raiders would probably get an "R" rating if it was made today. So as far as content is concerned, I'd say it would be a return to form.

AnImaginaryBoy

I think they should get Steven Moffat to write the script. I mean, I know he'll be busy doing series 5 of Doctor Who, but...erm...maybe they can clone him or something?

seasider

My short list would include:

Bob Gale: Has a knack for creating interesting characters with well paced action sequence and humor. He also loves the 1950's.

Scott Frank: Worked well with Spielberg on Minority Report and has a good reputation in Hollywood.

John Logan: Previous credits include, Gladiator, Last Samurai and The Aviator. Has not worked directly with Spielberg yet but has worked on plenty of movies for his Dreamworks studio.

Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio: Pirates of the Carribean flicks, Zorro movies. These guys have shown a knack for swashbuckling adventure movies.

Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci: Probably the hottest screenwriting due at the moment. Previous credits include MI-3, Transformers and are currently producers of the hit show "Fringe"

Phillipa Boyens: Co-wrote Lord of the Rings, King Kong and upcoming Hobbit movie with Peter Jackson. She is a talented but still relatively unknown writer who could hammer out a solid script.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Any of the previous writers (EXCEPT Koepp or anyone else who attempted an Indy 4 script). Kasdan namely.

Hal Barwood. Why not? FoA had a great storyline and even IM had a pretty good story line too. He worked with on Close Encounters as a writer as well. Especially after I read the interview on TR.N.

The Man

What about Peter Jackson himself? Chummy with Spielberg. Equally adept with both trashy and grandiose themes. He could easily bash out a better treatment than anybody else has done in the past decade...

Forbidden Eye

IndyFan89 said:
Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio might do the trick as well.

If you listen to their commentary on Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, they stated they intended it as a "Raiders of the Lost Ark on the high seas" so their desire to write an actual Indiana Jones film is probably at the same level of Spielberg's desire at directing an actual James Bond film.

As for screenwriters, I agree Lawrence Kasdan would be my top choice. Its a shame we don't see his work much anymore, hopefully if Indy V is made, he'll jump on board(as he did write the love dialogue in KOTCS, which was pretty decent imo).

But if he didn't come back and the beards wanted a new name, one screenwriter I adore(though am unsure he would actually be fit for this project) is Charlie Kaufman! (y)

Last edited:

seasider

The Man said:
What about Peter Jackson himself? Chummy with Spielberg. Equally adept with both trashy and grandiose themes. He could easily bash out a better treatment than anybody else has done in the past decade...

That's actually a good possibility as he is currently working with Spielberg on the Tintin movies and he also has a good relationship with Lucas who invited him to the Star Wars set in Australia and Lucas in turn came out in support of his King Kong movie. If Jackson is given a stab at Indy 5, he'll most likely employ the services of Phillipa Boyens and his wife, Fran Walsh. They always seem to write as a team.

Udvarnoky

The Man said:

Peter Jackson is a terrible writer, if LOTR and King Kong are anything to go by. Those movies are hugely enjoyable due to the scope and spectacle, but the dialogue is painful. I really have no idea why anyone would peg Jackson as a decent writer, much less one who could "easily" pen a better Indy draft than "anybody in the past decade." (Since you have access to all the rejected scripts since 1998, may I see them?) Like Spielberg, Jackson is a good director; let's let him stick to what he's good at please.

seasider

Udvarnoky said:
Those movies are hugely enjoyable due to the scope and spectacle, but the dialogue is painful.

Doesn't that describe Indiana Jones movies in general? The dialogue in those movies have never been Star Wars bad but it's not Shakespeare either. PJ never writes alone so I wouldn't peg the alleged dialogue issues of the LOTR and King Kong movies squarely on him. My recollection of the those movies are that the dialogue wasn't perfect but solid enough to not be an irritating distraction. My only concern about Jackson is that the Indy films are very Americana in nature and it takes someone who has a love and great understanding of America in that time period. PJ being a lifelong Kiwi may have difficulty capturing that.